If it walks like a duck.........

Tragedy at Ft Hood

by Lieutenant Colonel Allen B West (US Army, Ret)

11/09/2009

Last Thursday, 13 American Soldiers were killed and another 30 wounded at a horrific mass shooting at US Army installation, Ft Hood Texas. As I watched in horror and then anger I recalled my two years of final service in the Army as a Battalion Commander at Ft Hood.

My wife and two daughters were stunned at the incident having lived on the post in family housing.

A military installation, whether it is Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine, or Coast Guard, is supposed to be a safe sanctuary for our warriors and their families. It is intended to provide a home whereby our Band of Brothers and Sisters can find solace and bond beyond just the foxhole but as family units.

A military installation is supposed to be a place where our warriors train for war, to serve and protect our nation.

On Thursday, 5 November 2009 Ft Hood became a part of the battlefield in the war against Islamic totalitarianism and state sponsored terrorism.

There may be those who feel threatened by my words and would even recommend they not be uttered. To those individuals I say step aside because now is not the time for cowardice. Our country has become so paralyzed by political correctness that we have allowed a vile and determined enemy to breach what should be the safest place in America, an Army post.

We have become so politically correct that our media is more concerned about the pre-shooting stress on the shooter, Major Nidal Malik Hasan. The misplaced benevolence intending to portray him as a victim is despicable. The fact that there are some who have now created an entire new classification called, pre-virtual vicarious Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) is unconscionable.

This is not a man caused disaster. It is what it is: an Islamic jihadist attack.

We have seen this before in March 2003 when a SGT Hasan of the 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault) threw hand grenades and opened fire into his Commanding Officers tent in Kuwait. We have seen the foiled attempt of Albanian Muslims who sought to attack Ft Dix, NJ. Recently we saw a young convert to Islam named Carlos Bledsoe travel to Yemen, receive terrorist training, and return to gun down two US soldiers at a Little Rock, Arkansas Army recruiting station.

We thwarted another Islamic terrorist plot in North Carolina which had US Marine Corps Base, Quantico as a target.

What have we seen done with all these prevalent trends? Nothing.

What we see are leaders paralyzed and refusing to confront the issue, Islamic terrorist infiltration into America, and possibly further into our Armed Services. Instead we have a multiculturalism and diversity syndrome on steroids.

Major Hasan should have never been transferred to Ft Hood. Moreover, he should have been administratively discharged from the Army. His previous statements, poor evaluation reports, and the fact that the FBI had him under investigation for jihadist website posting should have been sufficient proof.

However, what we have is a typical liberal approach to find a victim, not the 13 and 30 but rather the poor shooter. A shooter who we hear was a great American, who loved the Army and serving his nation, and CAIR stating that his actions had nothing to do with religious belief.

We know that Major Hasan deliberately planned this episode; he did give away his possessions. He stood atop a table in the confined space of the Soldier Readiness Center shouting Allahu Akhbar, the same chant as the 9-11 terrorists and those we fight against overseas in the Iraq and Afghanistan theaters of operation.

No one in leadership seems willing to sound the alarm for the American people. Our Congress should suspend further action on the preposterous and unconstitutional healthcare bill and resolve the issue of protecting the American people.

The recent incidents in Dearborn Michigan, Boston Massachusetts, Dallas Texas, and Chicago Illinois should bear witness to the fact that we have an Islamic terrorism issue in America. And dont have CAIR call me and try to issue a vanilla press statement: they are terrorist apologists, not a civil rights organization.

We have Saudi Arabia funding close to 80% of the mosques in the United States, one right here in South Florida, Pompano Beach. Are we building churches and synagogues in Saudi Arabia? Of course not. Because they arent allowed by the Saudi government.

So much for peaceful coexistence.

Saudi Arabia is sponsoring radical Imams who enter into our prisons and convert young men into a virulent ideology resulting in four individuals wanting to destroy synagogues in New York with plastic explosives. Thank God the explosives were dummy. They are sponsoring textbooks which present Islamic centric revisionist history in our schools.

We must recognize that there is an urgent need to separate the theo-political radical Islamic ideology out of our American society. We must begin to demand surveillance of suspected Imams and mosques that are spreading hate and preaching the overthrow of our Constitutional Republic that speech is not protected under First Amendment, it is sedition and if done by an American treason.

I make no apologies for these words, and anyone angered by them, please, go to Ft Hood and look into the eyes of the real victims. The tragedy at Ft Hood Texas did not have to happen. Consider now the feelings of those there and on every military installation in the world. Consider the feelings of the Warriors deployed into combat zones who now are concerned that their loved ones at home are in a combat zone.

Ft Hood suffered an Islamic jihadist attack, stop the denial and realize a simple point.

The reality of your enemy must become your own.

Steadfast and Loyal,
Lieutenant Colonel Allen B West (US Army, Ret)

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Thankfully someone has, at last, broached this terrible subject on this forum.
I have been holding my breath for this post and I really welcome the measure of Allens comments.
I have long reached the conclusion that being politically correct is really for the
fairies and the open toe sandal brigade. I cannot imagine anything worse than someone opening fire in these circumstances within a miltary garrison.
I think many of us here in the UK have really felt the same pain that you have in the U.S.A. over this persons actions, and nothing anybody can do will help to mend it, certainly not in the short term.

People actually pay these idiots to be on TV!

The following are comment made about the mass murderer Maj. Nidal M. Hasan who had ties to Al Qaeda and fundamentalist radicals.

Fox News Geraldo Rivera
"He could have had a toothache and gone off because of that." Hmm... A toothache. ...

MSNBC's Chris Matthews
"He makes a phone call or whatever, according to Reuters right now. Apparently he tried to contact al Qaeda. Is that the point at which you say, ‘This guy is dangerous?' That's not a crime to call up al Qaeda, is it? Is it? I mean, where do you stop the guy?"

Al, gotta say, I'm usually quite a bit more "liberal" than you are on most topics, however, here I have to say I quite agree with your viewpoint.

People do crack under pressure...and do some strange things no doubt. But cold blooded violence like this is not a reaction to pressure or strained circumstances, it's cold and calculated murder and nothing else.

How did the US and Allied troops feel when motoring ashore onto the beaches of Normandy? Now that's pressure.

Major Hasan was under no comparable level of pressure - he was simply a weak and impressionable individual. He unfortunately existed in a location which gave him easy access to weapons and other people for the carrying out of his crime. He's a traitor, and a murderer, as well as a lost and confused soul.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
I have to agree with Cliff on this. I'd like to add some comments as well.

Major Hasan's actions are particularly disturbing to me because in addition to being a soldier, he is also as physician (my job as well). Physicians are trained to respect and preserve life and health. To TAKE life as Major Hasan did is not only a violation of the soldier's oath but a violation of his duty as a doctor as well. Major Hasan not only disgraced himself as a soldier, he disgraced himself as a health professional.

I have to say that I have followed the accounts of this event in the media as well and my take on what they have said is not the same as what you've seen. I certainly haven't seen any particular sympathy for Major Hasan in the media sources I regularly view, which are the New York Times, the Comcast home page, and the local outlets such as the Washington Post, the Baltimore Sun, and the Annapolis Capital (also suitable for wrapping fish and housebreaking errant puppies). Most of the articles I've read express concern over the mechanics of trying Major Hasan and the difficulties of ensuring that he has a fair trial, with the implication that the inevitable death penalty must be seen as one that is fairly reached and fairly applied. My guess would be that the military will try as hard as they can to make sure that the process is seen as equitable and in accordance with applicable military law. A great country distinguishes itself when it fairly tries all those accused of criminal acts- even those acts which are traitorous and which make you want to hold your nose during the trial. Major Hasan should get a fair trial and verdict for the benefit of all Americans; his benefit is the least of my concerns, but I do not want to see anyone tried in a kangaroo court.

It's hard to believe the contention that Major Hasan "cracked"- clearly there was a prolonged run up to this event. What is more disturbing is that it appears that there was some pretty good evidence that he was mentally disturbed and isolated from his fellow soldiers for a long time before he decided to kill as many of them as he could. I wonder what his supervisors and mentors ought to have done that they did not do. Physicians are highly scrutinized in training and practice- where was that scrutiny in Major Hasan's case?

By the time a physician gets to the position Major Hasan was in professionally, the US Army has invested a great deal of time and money training them and would be loath to discharge them. The decision to move Major Hasan (who does not seem to have been a good physician at all, from what has been published) to "a place where he could do the least damage" was a poor one even if you try to see it without the horrible ending it ultimately had. If the military thought he was a poor physician- and they did- they would have been far better off to sack him and demand that he pay them back the costs of his education. Unfortunately the military is so unwilling to let go of physicians that they very seldom do this, I suspect. What they try to do, I suppose, is get some of the value of the education they paid for- not a great decision in this instance.

Frankly, I believe that the military is doing the best they can with this very difficult circumstance. Probably it would have been better for all if Major Hasan had ended up dead at the original scene- it would spare us the expense of a trial and the inevitable circus that will accompany it- but he isn't dead, he's alive, and so there isn't any choice but to try him. As for the comments of Geraldo Rivera, he is not a respected journalist (actually as a boater, which he also claims to be, I can tell you that I don't know of any way that Geraldo Rivera is respected at all- he's a sensationalist fraud and a lightweight and of no account whatsoever). I don't know the MSNBC man, but given the amount of what I think IS fair and even coverage of this event, I'd say that the media have done a good job.

As to the idea that Major Hasan's attack on his fellow soldiers was a jihadist event- well, of course it was. Or at least that was an element in his thinking and motivation. I think, though, that he acted alone- I'm sure that al Qaeda and their ilk are delighted by his actions, but I don't think that there is a link other than ideological. Personally I think that people like Major Hasan don't depend heavily on outside encouragement- they have ample ability to go crazy on their own.

Brian Hamilton

I'm on the verge of touching myself inappropriatel
Well I'm also glad this has popped up here. Living only an hour or so away from Kileen (Ft. Hood), this really struck home. I have friends who work on base there and called to check on them. They had that whole base locked down. It was absolutely a shock to me that this could happen, and I anxiously awaited the real details. Instant details are usually skewed and heresay anyway. Finding out all the facts on the shooter just makes me angry. From what I'm hearing now he used a FN Five Seven pistol which uses a very small but high velocity round. I'm waiting for these to become banned because the weapon, not the shooter, is responsible for this damage.

I get LA and New York channels here at home for my news because we don't have any local channels in my small town. I heard the New York Governors Race commercials and couldn't believe one of the ad's. It mentioned one of the candidates wasn't against the ban of armor piercing rifles. Let me say that again...
ARMOR PIERCING RIFLES. Because as we all know, my assault rifle sitting in my closet right now will pierce the armor of a tank. All I have to do is throw it at it apparently.

The main problem we are facing in this country is lack of responsibility. The fact that they're trying to paint this guy as some tortured and misguided soul instead of placing the responsibility of this atrocious crime squarely on the shoulders of those responsible, one Major Nidal Malik Hasan. Now, what we will see is the media will blame Islam, the Army itself for torturing his mind between service to country and service to his faith, and of course the weaponry used to commit the offence. This doesn't even fall into the realm of gun control because he is a military officer, on a military base, and using a somewhat military weapon. The FN Five Seven is used mainly by special forces due to it's light weight and increased carrying capacity.

Anyway, this attack was horrible and we must not let our guard down and think that this will not and can not happen again. Islam is supposed to be a religion of peace. but any religious fanatic will take their faith to the extream and persecute those who are not of the same faith. I hate to bring it up, but even the Christians did it. Remember the Crusades and the Spainish Inquisition? Religious fanatics will always and HAVE always been violent. It's not going to stop as long as there is a religion to become extremely heavily involved in.

Just my opinions, but I think they're pretty spot on.

Laters,

Brian

Quote "I'm waiting for these to become banned because the weapon, not the shooter, is responsible for this damage.

Brian, The shooter is ALWAYS responsible, there will always be killing, with or without guns. The weapon was just lying there minding it's own business before this idiot Hasan picked it up, a piece of C-4 would have had a similar outcome.

Brian Hamilton

Quote "I'm waiting for these to become banned because the weapon, not the shooter, is responsible for this damage.

Brian, The shooter is ALWAYS responsible, there will always be killing, with or without guns. The weapon was just lying there minding it's own business before this idiot Hasan picked it up, a piece of C-4 would have had a similar outcome.

That's my point. LOL There was a hint of sarcasm there. :thumbsup:

Again, that's my point about the lack of responsibility that's common in this country. "It's not my fault, it's his fault for having that nice car! I had to steal it! I have to sell it to provide for my family because I lost my job to some damn illegal immigrant and now I can't get any money."

*Sigh*

Common sense and responsibility seem to be lost in this country now.

Brian Hamilton

I don't know that Blackwater really kills in the name of religion more as takes on missions that the US Government can't really be responsible for. LOL

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Brian, I totally agree, lack of responsibility is the problem in my country also. It seems no one will put their hand up and say "yep it was my fault,
I screwed up. And the hand wringing teary eyed do gooders support this view because "He was abused as a child" or "he was torn between his religion and his duty". Or the gun was to blame. What absolute cock!
This week in OZ an unlicensed driver was convicted of speeding losing control and hitting a young child. He drove off leaving the kid unconscious and bleeding. In other words a hit and run.
His lawyer told of his deprived upbringing. The Judge gave this person who had been convicted of many previous driving offenses a $600.00 fine.
He was seen leaving the court giving the finger to the T.V. cameras.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Well, that's insufferable. People ought to take responsibility for their actions. The hell with his deprived upbringing- why does that give anyone the right to deprive anyone of anything going forward? What crap.

I'm really surprised our government hasn't tried to punish the female police officer who stopped the rampage. After all, did she take the precaution of checking his weapon to see that it was the same one used in the shootings seconds before she fired? And did she shoot without first walking up and reading him his rights? But most importantly, did she embarass the U.S. government in creating a religious and political scandal by failing to cover her face with a veil before plugging that turkey, thereby disgracing Islam?

Brian Hamilton

Al,
Good one. LOL

Cliff,
You're right. It's not really the gun, the person, or the bullet that kills the target. It's the sudden damaged caused when their flimsy organs and bones can't hold up to the stresses caused by the impact of the projectile fired from these weapons. So, in essence, it's the targets fault for getting killed because they didn't take the proper precautions to armor their fragile body against possible damage.

So there!!

I believe that Blackwater takes care of all of the nasty politically incorrect things in war that we handcuff our military from doing. War is about killing, when the opposing team doesn't suit up in the correct uniform, it makes it tougher. We should suit up some senators and congressmen and let them try their hands at politically correct war in Iraq and Afghanistan, they would have guns on full auto all of the time and need a regular change of Depends!

Back