Importing completed car into US from England

How difficult is it to import a completed GT40 into the US? Is it easier to remove the motor and trans and ship separately? Or is it not worth the trouble?
Thank you
Jim

Jim,
There's two way to do it. Either bring it in as a race car or as parts wihich will require the engine and trans to be removed. The best thing is to have a good shipping agent that has done this before. I use Clark International in California.

Hersh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jim, we recently shipped a Lotus from UK to Washington State via UK shipping agents, removed and boxed the engine and gearbox, trailered the box and the remainder of car to Southampton, and four weeks later it is in USA and on the road. Frank

If brought in as a race car it can still be registered later? If removing the motor does it have to be shipped separately? I will check with Clarke. What did you pay for shipping? I hope I can work this out.

[ QUOTE ]
If brought in as a race car it can still be registered later?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope (or at least not easily). If you're bringing it in as a race car, you saying that it will never be driven on the street.

There's something known as the Ralph Lauren law that was passed a few years ago that allows the importation of limited productions cars into the US. You can read a bit about it from the point of view of importing 959s into the US in this article: http://www.canepa.com/SportsLuxury/Showroom/959ArticleAutoweek.asp

[ QUOTE ]
We formulated a law-that if 500 or fewer cars were produced, if they weren't currently produced, if they were never U.S.-legal, and if they were rare-­you could import them without having to pass DOT standards. As long as they met EPA standards and were driven no more than 2500 miles per year, they'd be legal.

[/ QUOTE ]
This law may not apply to GT40 replicas.

Hershal,
Do you have a web address or contact number for Clark International? I could not locate them in a search. I am guessing the only things to be modified for registration in the US would be lights.

Thanks Jim

I was the first importer for CAV in the US. We shipped the cars two per 22ft container. The Bill of Lading listed the cars as car parts. The DOT defines a car without an engine as "car parts". Transmissions were packed separately in the container. It is advisable to use a freight handler to get the car through customs when it arrives. We (USAGT40) used PHOENIX INTERNATIONAL in NJ they are very reputable, 908-206-0310. www.phoenixintl.com

Ben,
Having been there and done that, I can assure you that you don't want to bring the car in with the motor and trans in it. It comes as a chassis, and motor parts. If you have the motor and trans in, you have to meet all the safety and emission standard for the YEAR OF MANUFACTURE. Or you can declare it a racecar, which limits you to off road events, and you have to let them know when the car will be exported out of the country.

Now you see why the replica manufacturers do it the way they do. As to titling your car, you will have to check with your local dept. of motor vehicles. It can be as simple as in Ga.(if you know how to do it) as presenting a bill of sale for a 1966 Ford GT. Once you have the tag reciept, it can be retitled if you want. AND it doesn't have to meet any of the emission requirements as there weren't any for '66. Other states have strict requirements. You just have to check and see. If you know someone in the local police dept., they can be a load of help, especially if they are a hotrodder.

One of the declarations you will need to fill out describes most of what we have been talking about. Here is a copy of the one I had to fill out. I blew up the pertinant parts for easier viewing. I hope it comes through OK.
1618461importation.jpg

1618462importation1.jpg

As you can see, most of what you have to chose from really doesn't apply. You have to make a best guess. This is mosty for taxation than anything else. Check with more than one importer, as they each have their own way of accomplishing the same thing.
If you need more info, contact me. I might be able to save you some time and money. I wrote an article some time ago about buying and paying for a used or unfinished kit. If you would like a copy, I have it stored on my computer and can forward it to you or anyone interested. Some of the info could be updated, but it sends you on the right tract.

Bill

WEll thanks for all the information but the car has been sold. I will look into some of this anyway so I can be ready when the right one comes along again. Thank you everyone.
Jim Nielsen

Back