In search of advice!

I have trawled through some of the posts on this forum and have identified a number of manufacturers (local and international) but must admit to being a bit bewildered - I want to build a replica GT40 but not sure which to chose (from a manufacturer perspective)! I am based in Melbourne Australia.

Any advice on where to start and how to differentiate as well as any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

David

David, you've certainly come to the right place.

I'll have to leave it to the others to compare & advise on the various brands.

I've sent you a PM though about a related matter.

Good luck with your search.

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
David,

If you are building it for the road then as far as I am aware in Oz the big issue is obtaining rego. From what I have gathered this virtually limits your choices to RF and DRB and fitted with a late model (non Windsor) motor.

For a track only car you will have wider choices.

There's a lot of info about Oz rego if you do a search and no doubt the Oz members who have been through this will chime in with details.

Cheers

You've got two options for registration in Victoria.

1. As Russ said you can install a current emissions compliant engine and proceed with full registration. No restrictions on where or how often you can drive it. Main engine choices are Ford Boss 5.4lt & current Chev Lxx series(e.g. L76 6lt). The Chev is a much better package for a GT40 in my opinion.

2. Join a club like Cobra Car Club of Vic and obtain club rego. Restricted to where/how often you drive it. e.g. to club events, mechanical repair/tune trips etc. There is an optional engineering inspection if the club is concerned about the safety of your vehicle. You can basically do anything you want within reason, no emissions compliance, no restrictions.

Only NSW & VIC states have the really restricted emissions compliance requirements in Oz. If you have family or trusted friends in other states, you can get them to help you build the vehicle and register it in their local state. Then you can both enjoy it and have plenty of engine choices. In the other states you can comply 302w, 347w, 351w, Lexus V8, Ford 4.6lt modular, Ford Boss 5.4lt & both old & current Chev Lxx series.

Hi all.
I am in the same situation as David.
I live in Victoria and have narrowed my choices down to either DRB or Roaring Forties.
Is there any real difference between the two?

Hi all.
I am in the same situation as David.
I live in Victoria and have narrowed my choices down to either DRB or Roaring Forties.
Is there any real difference between the two?

Well,with the demise of RF (relatively speaking), DRB is your best bet and there are many owners on this forum who could chime in and give you specific info. I say this because to my knowledge DRB owners have had success in reg an others related issues, many DRB owners on the road.

Ahhh.... Australia, worlds away from the 7ft high snowbanks and cold we Canucks are living with!

Cheers

Chris

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
DRB have been around for a long time and seem to have a lot satisfied customers. Of which I am one. I believe they have a substantial waiting list. The new Roaring Forties that picked up the pieces after the demise of the old Roaring Forties I know little about. I do not know if they have produced a car as yet.

I suggest that as you live in Melbourne you should drop around to the Roaring Forties Factory and have a chat to them.

Then jump on a plane and visit DRB. If you get there on the first Saturday of the Month there is normally four or five completed cars at the sausage sizzle that is held then. And the owners are happy for you to have a look and willing to answer your questions.

The Roaring Forties car has a mono tub and the DRB is a space frame Chassis.

Good luck.

Last edited:
From what i can see by looking through their component list the main differences seem to be...
DRB use an Audi Transaxle while RF use a Porsche.
RF seems to have broken their parts down into sequential sets making it easier to get what you want in order of need. DRB just has a long list of parts on their site at the moment.
DRB do offer a 6 point rollcage option.
Anything i've missed?

I am the Australian Distributor for RCR.

The RCR-40 brings a totally new type of GT40 replica to Australia.

Aluminium monocoque chassis, authentic body shape, CNC Billet Aluminium suspension etc etc. Combined with comprehensive build manuals and fantastic support as can be seen by Fran's(RCR) commitment to this forum and supporting his customers in general. You can expect the same level of support by myself in Australia.

As you can tell I'm very excited by these vehicles.

For more information see the Announcement thread in RCR Forum here: http://www.gt40s.com/forum/rcr-foru...ng-rcr-australian-distributor.html#post219623

Last edited:
DRB use an Audi Transaxle while RF use a Porsche.

Scott, you've got it backwards, but I expect you know this and just made a typo.

DRB are typically setup for Porsche and RF for Audi.

RCR can be configured for Porsche, Audi & ZF. With RCR you are not locked in with Engine and Transaxle choices as the engine & transaxle mounts are modular and bolt in.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Pete, you must be on the turps early:dead:the RF chassis is a space frame.

Steve

Oops, embarrassment:eek::eek: you are right. A friend of mine has a fine example of an RF that is panelled with aluminium that makes it look like a mono tub. But when I checked with him sure enough it is a space frame.
My apologies for the bum steer.
Now that the AU$ has strengthened against the US$ maybe if you should check out the excellent RCR product as well.

If you buy a DRB or RF you will have no trouble registering the vehicles.
Make sure you look into the international kits very well as most don't have the required side intrusion / Torsion testing and the list goes on and on to comply with ADR's.

All I'm saying is make sure you do your homework. RCR seem to have good
engineering and Tornado have a nice steel Mono coming out in the future.

Thanks craig, guess i had a slysdexic moment :eek:
Where are you based in Australia?

Scott, I'm located on the Gold Coast. I'll also be down in Melbourne(Winton) next weekend for Shelby Festival. If you want to catch up, I can certainly vouch for the Shelby Festival, it's a great weekend. PM me for more details if you like.

Make sure you look into the international kits very well as most don't have the required side intrusion / Torsion testing and the list goes on and on to comply with ADR's.

Yes, definitely, good advice. Unless you have an Australian Distributor and responsive manufacturer that will look after you in that regard. :)

Thanks craig, guess i had a slysdexic moment :eek:
Where are you based in Australia?

Scott you have missed out today. I was at the Geelong all Ford day where there about 8 Roaring Forties cars. I think I will have a lot of trouble sleeping tonight.

Cheers

JAck

Hey David, I did just what you're doing & made research for my new GT 40 a top project. I live in the US & looked @ a lot of GT's & talked with the owners. In the end I chose the new Backdraft CAV. CAV is run by Auto Futura & built in South Africa.Backdraft which builds Cobra's is the U.S.;) has joined in a deal with CAV to produce the BDR GT.In the US this car come as a complete roller which is what I was looking for. I know that in your country you can purchase the car in kit form or different levels of completion. The fit & finish on the CAV is a 10 all around. Also they have the most interior room with standard leather,padded dash & A/C . The BDR comes complete with the wide hip option, 17" wheels ,paint & stripes plus all the new CAV standard features that began in the # 100 series cars. Anyway there are lots of great GT 40 builders so do your homework & have fun with your build. here is the CAV web link CAV GT | Resurrecting a legend

good day mate
Rick

Roaring Forties will only supply you with the kit and/or parts, although they will recommend professionals to help put it together if you need them.
According to an email i recieved today from Peter Ransom of DRB they also sell a rolling chassis and turnkey cars.

Hi Scott,

The main thing for me was the fact that the DRB was a steel spaceframe with steel panels welded into place, while the RF was aluminium panels bonded / riveted to the spaceframe. As Pete says, a closer look of a mono (orig) than the DRB. I liked this look better, but each to their own.

Also, the RF gear change is sill mounted, like the originals, while the DRB is centrally fitted (like the original Mk III road cars).

There are numerous other differences, but that is what makes it great. Who really wants ALL these cars to look identical?

If it a cage you desire, RF also can provide this. I have the 8 point option, although I would have to say that it's probably not 100% practical for road use (entry / exit issues). Stick with the 6 point, both manufacturers provide this.

Good luck with the search.

Trevor Booth

Lifetime Supporter
Supporter
David S,
step one-
contact an Engineer and or VicRoads in your state and find out what the rules and regulations are and in particular engine emissions. Ask if the national light vehicle code of practice has been or will be adopted in Victoria and if so what are the implications. Be prepared to pay an Engineer if you want the right advice and what supporting documentation you will need from the manufacturer and get it in the form of a written advice from the Engineer. Then use the same Engineer for the certification process

Step two make your choice and pay your money

Back