info front sway bar

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
I have yet to see one. No doubt, somebody, somewhere put a front sway bar on, but if they did it was mounted below, or at least very near, the lower A arm and therefore is not seen in any pictures I have seen. Sometime ago, it seems that I recall speculation as to whether there ever was a front sway bar on a Mk I.

For what it's worth, I have heard the comment from more than one replica builder that testing showed imperceptible difference when a front sway was used vs when it was not. That said, I have fitted one, albeit pretty thin.

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Come to think of it I've never seen a front bar in any exploded GT40 pic either. I've got a cockpit adjustable one and it gets used.Were bars in common use in 66?
Ross

Ron McCall

Supporter
Here you go.From the underside of GT40 # 1137

Attachments

• 118_1855 (Small).JPG
    118_1855 (Small).JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 468

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Do you reckon they might have been hiding it from the competition? very neat job checking it into the chassis like that.
Ross

ross nicol said:
Do you reckon they might have been hiding it from the competition? very neat job checking it into the chassis like that.
Ross
Three other reasons that I can think of.
* Keeping weight low
* With a high steering rack, there might have been limited solid chassis area to bolt against
* Maximise the air-flow/clearance

It does look good though. :)

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Here's another original swaybar

Attachments

• Front Sway Bar 01.jpg
    Front Sway Bar 01.jpg
    240.4 KB · Views: 374
  • Front Sway Bar 002.jpg
    Front Sway Bar 002.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 351