Interesting party conversation

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
We had a Christmas party at the house this year for our local Sunday school class I attend. One of the guys in our class is a car nut (Sam is his name), and a bit older than I am. Anyway, he had heard about the car I'm building and asked to take a look at it. His face really lit up when he saw it and began talking about his childhood and remembers watching the "orange cars" race. Then he asked me, "Have you ever heard of Dan Gurney?". I thought to myself, who hasn't, but kept that to myself and said, "yeah, he's quite an icon". Well, Sam went on to tell me about him and Dan going to school together in Riverside (Jr College shop class), and how Dan "had the fastest car in the county" at that time. Said Dan was always into the street rod & racing thing, but later fell into the high dollar road racing stuff. I was a bit taken aback by the street rod thing because Sam also concluded his story of meeting Dan one last time at a Memphis street rod show a while back. So I had to ask (wondering if Sam was mixed up with someone else), "What was Dan Gurney doing at a street rod show?", because street rod and road racer don't seem to be used in the same sentence. Sam said that Dan was looking into starting a street rod parts business. It was all very interesting to hear, seemed plausible, and very entertaining to hear about two kids street racing, and to realize one eventually made history in the automotive world.

ox

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Very cool Ox!
:thumbsup:

I rarely talk about cars at all let alone road racing - because it seems that most of the people I work with or meet just think that the auto is only a means of transportation..
Every now and again I am surprised by people's reactions when I do talk cars..

Randy, you need a new circle of friends!
But your observation is spot on, everybody at the Bank I work at know that I am a car guy, and all think that there is a cure, somewhere....

Back