Is there anybody out there ?

I wanted a Gulf coloured car with all the graphics etc but at the time could not find one in my price range. I now own a yellow / black 40 and its grown on me. The one thing about owning a Gulf coloured car is you'll be able to buy all sorts of T-Shirts, pictures, art work, hats, jackets, watches and countless other items because most know its the most iconic colours for the 40. Not as many things made or created with other colours for the 40 that I've been able to find.

Keith

I wanted a Gulf coloured car with all the graphics etc but at the time could not find one in my price range. I now own a yellow / black 40 and its grown on me. The one thing about owning a Gulf coloured car is you'll be able to buy all sorts of T-Shirts, pictures, art work, hats, jackets, watches and countless other items because most know its the most iconic colours for the 40. Not as many things made or created with other colours for the 40 that I've been able to find.

Whatever Jimmy, this way you will be a one off, which is no less than you deserve. Why follow the pack? :)

Keith, As my dear deaprated Dad use to tell me and this is certainly not mend to offend owners of Gulf coloured cars, "Never become a part of the herd mentality son....just be yourself." I've tried to live by those words and buying a GT40 is one way I think many of us show that thinking.

I have lusted after a GT40 since I first saw them at Le Mans in 1967.

43 years later, I was in a position to finally own a GT40, albeit a replica.

I'd already seen the car in photos, before I went to view it, but as I first saw the car in Gulf colours, apparently my grin was ginormous. So much for buying it with my head and not my heart.

I DID buy it, and got it home on a trailer at about 1:00 in the morning. My wife and daughter were both up, and came out in their night-clothes to see it.

In the semi-darkness, Sheila, my wife breathed "It's beautiful' - It brought a lump to my throat.

Later, after peering and poking around the car, it was decided that it really could do with a re-spray. My first thought was to paint it Linden Green, which I thought was a very understated original colour.

However, my wife was adamant - "All these years, I've been looking at books and models of GT40's, and they've all been blue and orange. You can't paint it any other colour!"

So 1075 Gulf colours it is, and yes, mine is the right shade as well.

I've stripped and rebuilt it over the last 400 days, and can't wait to get it finished.

The rebuild has been a bit of a marathon, and I've doubted my sanity at times, but I'm nearly there. I just want to hear the engine running again!

A Gulf GT40 in Carlisle!

Keith

Geoff, good decision re: wife's preferences..... :thumbsup:

It doesn't of course mean permanent approval, you will still have to work hard for that! :lipsrsealed:

But whatever, it's nice to see people get stuff they have always fought hard for.. :)

Jimmy,

I don't have my records to hand, but did you buy one of the fabulous GT40 Enthusiasts Club wood gear knobs from me a while back?

Unfortunately, I am no longer involved in the Club merchandising, but bought one of their gear knobs just before I packed it in.

I had business dealings with Moto Lita steering wheels many years ago, and have had them make me a beautiful 15" flat replica steering wheel in blue leather.

I've just rebuilt the dash with Smiths instruments, and the cockpit is now a pleasure to sit in.

I'm hoping to get the electrics finally sorted in the next few days, and can't wait to hear the engine running again.

(Just realised that I've mentioned the Enthusiasts Club - Hope there are no hard feelings!).

Cheers,

Geoff.

Back