Jag V12 - Vic or Fran, ideas?

Here is a little Jag eye candy for you boys.....

Attachments

• 54230-assembly011.jpg
    54230-assembly011.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 281

Denis Bedford

Denis Bedford
Thanks Fran buggered if I can post pics which is just as well because I have so many of them I would drive you all crazy Regards

Ron Earp

Admin
Dennis,

Was that one prepared on the old 5.3L motor or on a 6.0L motor? I just didn't get a 5.3L because so many that I found were going to need immediate rebuild and were franky, in nasty condition. So, a running 6.0L in nice shape seemed to be a better answer. I can sell all the stuff I don't need off of it and get it down to a long block that should accept webers etc. for the XJ13. In fact, the head castings on the late model 6.0L has fantastic ports - they look better than the early 5.3L motors for sure.

Ron

Denis Bedford

Denis Bedford
Ron at the moment this is a completely stock 1994 5.3 motor and it will stay that way until the car is sorted and registered the carbs are 40 IDE and are off another XJ13 built over here (all aluminium body)the owner wants about 400000AUD for it yes thats 400 K Regards

Denis Bedford

Denis Bedford
I dont know if the GT40 guys realise that the XJ13 is the same size as the 40 same wheelbase width height etc so the V12 makes for a very crowded vehicle

Ron Earp

Admin
Well, I have a big Jag V12 in the back of my truck now, looks great! I'll have to post a picture here shortly. I'll be bundling it up for about a year before starting on the XJ13, but I hope then that the market for those will be developed and a few of them will be out there with builders.
R

Attachments

• 54819-sydney.JPG
    54819-sydney.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 277
OH MANNNN !!!
Ron, I didn't know you wanted to build an XJ13 too. Hopefully that will be my next project. Well, at least I can lean on you for how to's when I start. If you need help fitting the body you know who to call. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hersh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ron Earp

Admin
Hey Hershal, I am glad you are feeling better, well, at least I hope you are!

Let's hope I can finish this one.........I think I'll be able too as I'm starting to get more time for projects. RTP Racing is starting to do well, we've got commissions on two cars with another coming, and I'm picking up (I'm told) very rapidily as a driver actually matching times with two of our seasoned competitive hands. Must be all those video games as a kid!

This project is long term to lower cost so I'm searching for a gearbox and will get it if the time is right. This V12 was only $1200 with all running gear, everything intact, and the engine ran up until a month ago when it was pulled. So, it shouldn't need a rebuild. I plan to just pull all the electronic crap and accesories off and sell them probably getting the cost of the engine to around $600. Then I plan to pull the heads, deck them for a 10:1 compression and put a weber intake on top (got to check clearnaces on this issue). Don't plan to do anything else except for a nice exhaust system and I'm told it'll net about 375hp in this configuration with no stress on the motor - good for track work! The late model motors such as this one have forged internals so that is a bonus.

R

Denis Bedford

Denis Bedford
Ron you should take the heads off as soon as possible the longer it is left the harder it is to remove them, Jaguar V12 heads can really stick, I have seen guys use a block and tackle trying to remove these heads and all that happens is the car leaves the ground ,nearly always you will need a special removal plate

Ron Earp

Admin
Re: New tips for a V12?

Hi Denis,

I didn't know that, I'll try and get the motor underessed in a month. What causes them to stick so bad? Ugh.

Any other tips or tricks you can thing of for these beasts? Damn thing is mighty big. Physically the largest motor I've ever messed with except for an aircraft radial. And despite being ally block and heads, it ain't light!!!!!

But, it looks great and I bet in one of these light cars would be fantastic with an awesome sound if the exhaust is done right.

R

Ron, take DENNIS advice, do not attempt to remove the heads without the special removal device, all you will be doing is lookinf for more heads or another engine. Take the dismantling of this unit very slowly and with a lot of care, it is big and it is heavy, but it is also fragile if not treated right, Frank

Ron Earp

Admin

Frank/Dennis,

Where are these special tools, or what do they look like? Are they some sort of "puller" plate that bolts to the top of the head then uses bolts to push againt the studs or bolt hole to remove the head? I could envision such a thing, just haven't seen one. I do have a local friend who is a E type guy and he has a 5.3L V12 in his E type, he might have a set since he does all of his own work.

Thanks for the help,
Ron

Denis Bedford

Denis Bedford

Yes Ron you have it in one, the plate bolts to all threaded holes in the head and another set of bolts are screwed onto the ends of the head studs pushing the head off the block as a matter of fact I was watching a mate do one recently and he could not get the head off with the plate, he managed to lift it only about 6mm and he then very very carefully cut all the head studs with a hacksaw blade now this takes some time good luck -- I believe the motor weighs about 680lbs Regards Denis

Ron Earp

Admin

Damn, that is some bad news.

Okay, I've a new plan. First I am going to find out what the compression was on the 1994 6.0L V12. And, if it is reasonable, then we might just leave those heads exactly where they are. I mean, if the compression is 9.5 to 1 I ain't taking them off to get 20hp or so by raising it 1/2 a point.

I could then concentrate on finding cams for this thing (I hear that is hard) and on getting the proper weber intake and webers.

Ron

Ron Earp

Admin

Hmmmm, a couple of sites put that motor at 11:1 as is for 1994. I don't remember it being that high from the factory. I'll have to do some more work. But, if it is even close I don't pull the motor down - it ran fine until a few weeks ago and there is no need to tear it apart.

R

Ron,

Dan at classic jaguar www.classicjaguar.com will have any technical info you might want to know and he has a BBS on his site to post questions in. He has been one of my favorite vendors with regards to my E-type

Early ?? V12 with Dellorto's ?? - either way - very nice. Was competing against us at Loton Park in a Dax Cobra - sounded superb!!

Attachments

• 54989-JagV12.JPG
    54989-JagV12.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 274

Ron Earp

Admin

No, this one is a late model 1994 with fuel injection. If it does indeed have that compression ratio stock then it need not go any higher.

That one above looks fantastic!!!

Ron

Hi Ron

I have been told you may be right about the com ratio of 11/1. V12 performance cams are hard to get hold of but the standard cams last well so most people in the uk get a mild reprofile which costs about $500. It is also possible to take the engine out to 8.2 with a big bore and longer crank upto 110mm up from 70mm. If you do take the heads of you will need new studs and these are also difficult to remove from the block without heating

Back