Jag V12 - Vic or Fran, ideas?

Re: New tips for a V12?

Ron, do a simple leak down test before deciding not to pull the heads, we have found most have dodgy head gasket seals which, if left, cause havock to the Ali heads. Even the slightest water leak from a head gasket will erode the metal very quickly, better to check than throw the lump away just after you have built the car. Frank

Ron Earp

Admin

Good advice and I think I'll pull them anyhow.

I'd like to do a three angle valve job on them, a little porting/matching, and some fresh valve springs so they might as well come off. But I don't think I'm going to tear the thing down and rebuild it. The rings and bearings are good I think, at least good enough to run for a bit, so maybe a head re-freshing would help.

Ron

Good web site ron would love a 10l xj13 rep but you can only get full build reps in ali in the uk that i know of and they cost big money.

Ron Earp

Admin

I by no means want a 10L V12 in the XJ13, that'd be a lazy engine for sure and probably not in the character of the car I wish to build. As for as making the 10L engine, well, there are two builders (I found one, told of another) in the US that will do them too, so they are not only the realm of this small group in the UK. Seems there is a boat racer that uses one in my home state and I might see the boat at the Oak Hollow Boat Drags in a couple of months!

Ron,just a bit of info if you do a major on this motor, the Jag V12 has 3" main,s and 2.310 pins on the crank.These are the same as 351w Ford,[mains& rod] 351c[rod] 429/460[mains].If the main tunnel,s are the same could save some $, likewise with rods[check width] with many aftermarket option,s for length etc. Regards Jack.

Ron Earp

Admin

Thanks Jack,

that is some good information. That will certainly save some serious cash, I'm sure Jag bearings are a fortune!

Back