Jimmymac & Alistair's Cars

re: Jimmymac & Alistair's Cars

The cross pieces that splits the side vents behind the doors looks thicker than any I've seen. Are these correct or will they be taken down to a thinner profile?

Mark C.

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter

Many thanks chaps,

Alistair fancies a livery similar to this on 1071 or perhaps something like the French striped 1003.
I am still going for the solid dark navy blue.
There is still plenty of time,

Attachments

• RT_02_zps1bd8b619.jpg
    RT_02_zps1bd8b619.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 839

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter

Original Hartwell latches neatly fitted to Alistair's car.

Attachments

• IMG_4524.jpg
    IMG_4524.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 809

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter

The second chassis is now off the table and on tyres, albeit rather large ones but they will do this week.
This event gets rid of the build tables at last and gives us more flexible space.
It will be going to a professional fibreglass body shop this month for the first fix and gapping of the body shell.

Attachments

• Rubbers On July 2014 -002.jpg
    Rubbers On July 2014 -002.jpg
    273.2 KB · Views: 1,026
  • Rubbers On July 2014 -001.jpg
    Rubbers On July 2014 -001.jpg
    276 KB · Views: 1,020
  • Rubbers On July 2014 -003.jpg
    Rubbers On July 2014 -003.jpg
    227.3 KB · Views: 834

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter

The locks and body metalwork are on final fit to the primed shells.
Alistair's new workstation looks good :laugh:

Attachments

• IMG_4485.jpg
    IMG_4485.jpg
    266.7 KB · Views: 744
  • IMG_4586.jpg
    IMG_4586.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 885

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter

I don't get much time these days but I sat down this morning to re-trace how we got here.
Well after eight years, it's almost about time to close down this project and move on.

The thread title is not strictly true as Mirage built the chassis and we have finished the cars so to speak and it has taken Alistair and myself many years of hard but enjoyable graft to get to these final stages.

There are only two true Mirage chassis' built to the final design, as far as we know, and contrary to the word that five tubs were made in fact only two were completed by Ray before his regretful passing. These two chassis' that you see were second attempts built using original design data which was further enhanced with the presence of an original prototype in the workshop at the time the laser templates and press tools were made.
We are grateful to Steve for his unending work in developing the isometrics for Mirage to get thus far. Since receiving the two chassis', further enhancements have been made to them with the help of other knowledgeable builders along the way.

I keep saying this over and over but I really think we are almost at the tape of a marathon, at last.
Presently Alistair's car is being stripped down for final paint in Old English White and my body is still being being gapped and boarded so hopefully soon we can move onto the next project.:lipsrsealed:

Doc Watson

Lifetime Supporter

All hail Jim,

This build has helped me keep the faith through some dark years, thanks for sharing all your hard work with us all and I'm slowly moving towards making this quote redundant.

"There are only two true Mirage chassis' built to the final design, as far as we know"

Let us know how it drives......

Andy

Hi James!

It's been a while since your last post. I'm sure you've made some progress on your car, so please, give us some news about your incredible project!

Cheers

Olivier.

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter

Olivier
Thanks for the nudge !
We are still beavering away here but progress on my car has been stunted somewhat by some more stays at the hospital and travelling with work.
I have a pro' finishing my bodywork now but Alistair's car is in great shape and he is forever snagging before paint.

A picture taken a few months ago :

Attachments

• IMG_4691.jpg
    IMG_4691.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 830

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter

James, great work on both cars, and can't wait to see all the photographs when these cars are finally presented to the world.
Dave

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter

Cheers Olivier,
Our precision tool to massage the front clip :thumbsup:

Attachments

• IMG_4804.jpg
    IMG_4804.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 843
Back