Jimmymac & Alistair's Cars

Neil

Supporter
It has been a couple of years since I first opened up a couple of boxed NOS speedos only to find how badly the paint finishes had deteriorated even after being stored in a dry cupboard.
Anyhow, today I have finally restored what was a new unit to complete my set of gauges.

Sept 2020
Before stripping and re-plating
View attachment 131862

Today
Painted and ready for new bezels and gaskets
View attachment 131863
Speedos??? o_O :rolleyes:

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Back to my build log.
Working on some more Kenlowe fan motors which are good enough for restoration.
I will refinish two of the cases in silver.

The condition of the nylon props with the labels is evidence that they have hardly been used.

IMG_1990.jpeg

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
I opened up the two motor casings this morning and was pleased to confirm my hunch that these units have been little used.
The stator plates have no sign of corrosion which was a problem with others that I have worked on previously, because the cases have no seals to prevent ingress of moisture.
There is also little carbon black from brush wear so all things considered this is a nice pair of sixty years old fans.

IMG_1992.jpeg

Last edited:

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
I opened up the two motor casings this morning and was pleased to confirm my hunch that these units have been little used.
The stator plates have no sign of corrosion which was a problem with others that I have worked on previously, because the cases have no seals to prevent ingress of moisture.
There is also little carbon black from brush wear so all things considered this is a nice pair of sixty years old fans.

View attachment 131916
The second one is completely unused and unmarked internally with no brush wear. Not even with dry WD40 on the stator like the first.:)

IMG_1994.jpeg

JimmyMac, absolute fabulous work. It really seems you'r setting the Benchmark to a 100% original GT40 as it would have left Slough.
Superperformance & Gelscoe continuations doesn't come not even close to your build.

So what P xxxx VIN number is possible for your GT40?

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
JimmyMac, absolute fabulous work. It really seems you'r setting the Benchmark to a 100% original GT40 as it would have left Slough.
Superperformance & Gelscoe continuations doesn't come not even close to your build.

So what P xxxx VIN number is possible for your GT40?

Hello my friend,
There will be no fake "P" number for this chassis of mine, I don't believe in it, even though I may have a ton of various builder chassis plates.:)

IMG_1967.jpeg

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
I am fitting my gauges imminently and have decided to go with red illumination in them as original but using LEDs to last.
So whilst my dash is off the chassis I will also make up new bulb holders with the correct coloured pigtails. (Red with White trace & Black earth)
The modern Lucas bulb holders now have skinny +ve contacts so I will also retrofit soldered solid copper contacts similar to the old 60's versions once made in England. These contacts should also improve the longevity.
Also fitting higher quality bayonet bulb holders for the 4" gauges and any other BA9s.
IMG_2007.jpeg

IMG_2005.jpeg

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
So like the Immortal Jellyfish the changes are ongoing.:)

For years I never did like the profiling job my previous painter had done around my headlight cover recesses, the draft angle on the fibreglass mold work in the boxes was also too steep and restricted internal space around the light lens.
Anyway not worrying about destroying an expensive spray job I put off the decision to do something about it for too long.

I contacted Lee and he made me a pair of crisp new boxes and last week he retrofitted the complete assemblies for me. The Marchals now fit better and so will the plastic covers when complete. The black tape on the paint shows the extent of new cover shape.
Very happy now.

IMG_20230603_093418.jpeg

IMG_20230923_110245.jpeg

Virtually all cad plating these days is done for military and aerospace applications. There are very few facilities that offer cad plating due to the lack of high volume commercial demand. I gave up trying to find a shop that would do cad plating on onsey-twosey items so now I use passivated zinc plating instead. The appearance is virtually the same between cad & zinc plating once they're passivated.
WestStar in Bethalo, IL can perform Cadmium plating. They were still performing it last I knew.

Back