Keith Baker's Southern gt on the build

Re: New southern gt on the build

Keith

nice build. Did you mount the tube in which the wiper drive cable runs as well ( can not see it in the pics)

Thanks
TOM

Re: New southern gt on the build

Hey Keith,
Car is looking great! Wish I had your skills. Nice to see you haven't given up that carbon fetish though ;)

Brett

Hi tom, the tube has been rough fitted but as the centre section has not been fixed yet the tube cant be finalised.Been looking at your build log and that looks superb, love the colour and quality of work.
Hi Brett, as you probably know Southern GT can provide a full carbon rear section, I'm considering this and at 3.5 k it sounds about right money but it will all depend on the time it can be made, I'm getting to the stage where I may need to get the body on and in reasonable shape. Hows your 40 coming along ?

Sadly not well at all. I have been training for an event and have been having to go to Turkey with work...

I may manage a few hours/days in the next few weeks.

Just an update on the build.
Decided to install the low pressure fuel pumps one in each side of the engine bay sills, Due to the high output of the engine and that it's being built with a view that it can be upgraded later, I decided to fit the same pumps as I have in my Ultima. These are Barry Grant 220's with a flow rate of 220 Gallons per hour ( will drain the Hoover dam in a few hours ).
These are mounted as low as possible and level with the -8 outlet in the fuel tanks. Before the Pumps are high flow filters.
Both pumps feed a swirl pot in the engine bay.
Pictures are before all the -8 lines were finished

Attachments

• IMG_3057.JPG
    IMG_3057.JPG
    106.6 KB · Views: 998
  • IMG_3061.JPG
    IMG_3061.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 938
The front suspension is now all in. Have been informed that my AP brakes should be with me this week, wheels are in transit to me as I write.
Air con pipes should be crimped up next week with only the two at the air con pump to do later when it's gased up.
Fire extinguisher lines are going in down the passenger side chassis.
Decided to go for Southern GT's reccomended Shocks for now as the Koni's are 12 weeks minimum delivery ( do they want to sells these things, were supposed to be in a recession ? ).

Attachments

• IMG_3058.JPG
    IMG_3058.JPG
    97.7 KB · Views: 1,074
  • IMG_3069.JPG
    IMG_3069.JPG
    215.1 KB · Views: 1,187
  • IMG_3070.JPG
    IMG_3070.JPG
    195.3 KB · Views: 1,110
Decided that washer bottles although hardly ever seen were cheap plastic items made in china and only to be fitted in beach buggies or wheel barrows, therefore I made a pattern to fit within the designated area that would hold at least 1 ltr to satisfy the IVA tester and mounted the washer pump on the side.
This holds 1.9 ltrs.
The filler cap passes through the ally panelling and the rubber tube fills any gap and stops movement of the panel.
When polished it should look OK.
The air con radiator is mounted in front of the rad by ally bracketry and wont move anywhere, the radiator is mounted on four rubber buffers 1" thick and hopefully will not act as a structural item and should not damage the rad ???
All un polished at the moment.

Attachments

• IMG_3071.JPG
    IMG_3071.JPG
    136.6 KB · Views: 1,140
  • IMG_3074.JPG
    IMG_3074.JPG
    120.9 KB · Views: 993
Trial fitted the doors, brackets were from Southern GT and these are almost the same as the old GTD ones except they have bearing in and knowing how difficult it is to align the doors I welded bolts onto the rear brackets of the hinges, this means you dont scratch your hands to bits whilst adjusting.
I cut the slot out of the top bracket so that the door can easliy be removed and put back virtually in the same place.
Fitting the body can take time and although Ive fitted a few now I know it's going to take time. " Patients is a virtue "

" NO ANIMALS WERE INJURED IN TAKING THESE PICTURES "

Attachments

• IMG_3035.JPG
    IMG_3035.JPG
    116.3 KB · Views: 1,303
  • IMG_3038.JPG
    IMG_3038.JPG
    110.7 KB · Views: 1,235
' MIND OVER MATTER BRETT '

I 'm building this car at work, If it was at home it would suit me but I'd be working on it till 2 in the morning. I've been there and done that, I'm getting to old for that.
I only work one evening in the week 5 -10 pm ish
and all day saturday 8 -8 pm
very occasionally one friday in a month or six weeks
Got to keep the wifey satisfied, that usually means staying away

LOL

Yes, unfortunately my 2 year old takes up my evenings and also I have to get bike training in. Doing 40-50 miles after work twice a week takes time :)

Its also a question of finances over matter as well ;)

Brett

Brett, sell the kids it will free you up loads.
My son is a serious rider he will do that sort of mileage as well. Spends shed loads on his bike and parts and after a good ride his heart rate has hardly increased.
Thin little bugger too.
Best Regards
Keith

You know when you have been working on the car all day and it seems you have done nothing then some days it all comes together.
Well today it seemed to come together.
Putting parts on is the easy bit, finishing off is another.
Today I decided to finish off the nigly bits.
Also trial fitted a few bits.
Wheels arrived, look good but the powder coating was thick enough to stop the wheels sitting back correctly so started to rub back the centre, got them almost there and got worn out and fed up rubbing with scotch brite,, from the pictures below the clearances are tight, very tight.
The rear Brake lines are virtually finished, one fitting short.
All the brake and clutch lines are in Goodridge stainless steel with internal sleeves , this is acceptable for IVA tests.

Starting to look like a car now.

Attachments

• web7205.jpg
    web7205.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 1,164
  • web7204.jpg
    web7204.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 1,189
  • web 7189.jpg
    web 7189.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 8,728
  • web7211.jpg
    web7211.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 1,522
  • web 7200.jpg
    web 7200.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 1,309
Hi Trev,
Yes these are Image wheels there 6 spoke BRM's in matt black actually a satin / matt, you can get from SGT or image, polished, coated or a mix of both, I was told about 8-10 weeks but actually got them in about 4 through SGT.
As Mick says the clearances will be better when the brakes are on.
One of the wheels on the inside did have a reduced amount of powder coat on in one point but it will never be seen unless you look hard. Also there was some rough coated bits on the centre hole, these I have smoothed out. I'm fussy and always look at everything as the Devils in the detail.
Nevertheless I'm more than happy with them.

Thanks Mick for the reminder of the brake disk bells, sometimes you forget the blooming obvious, you cant see the wood for the trees.... you know where I,m coming from !

Speak to you soon

Keith

Hi Keith

hopefully you have not powdercoated any of the mounting surfaces of the wheels. Nor the back surface where they sit in the brake hub, nor the center where they slide over the cylindric part of the knock off and not the part where the knock spinners taper sits on.
This section must be not painted or coated, otherwise the wheels don´t sit right and will be dangerous to loosen themself, due to the coating sets itself.

TOM

Hi Tom, The wheels were powder coated at the factory but I think they should be OK. When I get the brake hubs I will know whether any coating needs removal.

Got the tyres fitted today, going to Italy in a couple of days on Holiday , then it.s full speed ahead again, plan is to have the car IVA tested October "ISH" and in for painting over the winter.

Attachments

• web 3529.jpg
    web 3529.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 1,060
  • web 3534.jpg
    web 3534.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 981
Back