KN airfilter for webers

I have a 302 with IDA style fuel injection. I'd like to get a GOOD air cleaner.

So far other then the tea strainers (that let to much stuff pass thru IMHO), and the foam filters (which i have seen catch fire when the foam became saturated with fuel and a slight backfire caused a engine fire) I haven't found to much.

I heard about these guys but haven't contacted them yet ( Air Filters ). Has anyone tried them? They look pretty cool.

Mike Trusty

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jason:

Our very own Jack Houpe (2164) here on the forum can provide you with filters using K&N elements with a lot more area than those that you looking at. Here are some pictures of his prototype. He new filters do not have the metal spacer in them.

Attachments

• IMG_9168.jpg
    IMG_9168.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 372
  • IMG_9169.jpg
    IMG_9169.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 307
Sorry i should have specified this is going on a superformance cobra (i know not a gt40 :embarassed:) so hood clearance is a issue.

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
If space is an issue you can fabricate a flat bottomed air box similar to that pictured below that will hold a flat K&N filter. (I know the one pictured is a Chebbie, but not hard to do for a Ford with IDA's)

Attachments

• 55481starboard.jpg
    55481starboard.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 348

Mike Trusty

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jason:

He can make them with as tall or short a filter element as needed to fit the clearance.

The bottom plate of the filter can be installed below the velocity stacks allowing for a taller element and actually better flow to the stack with them installed "inside" the filter assembly. This will yield more clearance to the hood yet have a large filter area.

The assembly can be a large oval "sorta" like the one he made for my GT.

Here is a picture taken by Ron McCall of my filter. Got to give credits these days or get in trouble.
icon7.gif

Jack, you can chime in here anytime now and keep me honest.

Attachments

• 100_1752-2.jpg
    100_1752-2.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 351

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Mike I have been talking to Jason about the used set I have. Thanks for the good word. I have one more set of tops and bottoms without filters for sale. I don't plan on making them anymore. The material is just to costly and its too labor intensive for what I was selling them for and with no interest.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Mike I have been talking to Jason about the used set I have. Thanks for the good word. I have one more set of tops and bottoms without filters for sale. I don't plan on making them anymore. The material is just to costly and its too labor intensive for what I was selling them for and with no interest.

Jack - How much modification do you suppose it would it take to make that setup work on my Weber IDA system?

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Randy I just don't think thats a good idea with the inversion of the webers. You know more than I do about that but if you want we could make some out of aluminum and have it so a piece of thin lexan would slide out for cleaning or replacement, sort of like a face shield. You could even slide them out on track days so you can see the cloud. :)

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Sounds good Jack. I don't have a lot of the reversion in these Webers right now because I have the Inglese design Weber cam (not a lot of valve overlap), but that doesn't mean I will stick with it either..
After the holidays here I'll give you a call.
The car is in the shop right now getting the final body work and cage fabrication done to it.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Reversion, I never get that right...

Good for you Randy, I can't wait to see some finished pictures of that beast. We will keep in touch.

Jack

Back