Le Mans Classic 2010

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Chris

The GT40 Enthusiasts club are not buying tickets and reselling them for the event this year. The potential take up was over 400 tickets and was outside the scope of the club to organise and administer such an undertaking.

I have no idea on the exact breakdown of the Grandstand prices nor those of Tickets 2 u.

I have heard though that some French GT40 drivers were unable to purchase tickets for the event in France that included paddock passes and grandstand seats. And I would presume that the agencies have block booked all these tickets and are now adding a margin. As such they are looking to purchase through Grandstand Motorsports.

Regards
Ian

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
With just over a week to go work progresses and after numerous bits of correspondence and complaints by the GT40 Comittee the organisers have made it clear that it will not be possible to stick to our promised schedule of 8:30 - 9pm on Friday 09/07/2010

The organisers of the Le Mans Classic are dicted to by the ACO (Le Mans track owners) and timing of being allowed on the track has changed.

It now looks like our half hour session will be about 1 hour later than advertised (9:25pm) - yes it is getting late but I am assured that it will be completed before sunset (by minutes but should still be light for a while after sunset)

The following is an excerpt from the latest communication - the Video is an official videographer for the club who will be positioned on the Dunlop curve

I am truly sorry for that the session has been put back more than an hour back but that not depend of our volunteer. Actually, the administrative timing has not been respected and we have take 55 minutes on the official timetable.

I understand that the 21:55 is a bit late but for your information the 9 of July the sunset is at 21h56. Consequently, you should not have problem with your lights. Even after the 30' session, you will have the last ray of the sun.
I am sure that won't be a problem for your cameraman and I am certain you will enjoy the sunset on the Dunlop curve. I really promise you that it won't be dark at all.

Apologies to anyone who has made plans around our previousl given timetable but this is unavoidable

Regards
Ian

Max Walter

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Did they give any explanation as to why they had to change the time? Like "the Ferrari boys would cry if we didn't let them go first..." ;-)

Let's just hope they don't try any of their other previous (parade lap) tricks, like halving the time...

Charlie Farley

Supporter
Even though i've done the journey twice before, i've been asked how long it takes to drive from Calais to Le Mans ( must be getting old, i can't recall the length of the journey, can only guess ).
Assuming not breaking the speed limits and going via the main roads but not the motorway toll route, what do you guys recall please ?
Thanks in advance.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Andy, about six to seven hours with a couple of refreshment breaks.
Ian, Yes the sunset will be 21:55 but there is the 30 minutes of civil twilight
as well. Beware though , as we had the problem during the 24 hour which was the sun was very strong and very low and very in your eyes from Virage Mulsanne (the end of the Mulsanne Straight) right the way through Indianapolis and Arnage to Porsche Curves.
The Sweet Spot was about 0415hrs but I think by then, as good boys,you'll all be tucked up.

Last edited:
Sounds like they have given our 1/2 hour slot to somebody with more clout than our £20,000 we have paid. A sentence including the words "piss-up" and "brewery" spring to mind. There is not much point in going round the track in the dark if you don't know it and can only see 100 metres ahead (probably less with my head lights). I know they say there will be enough daylight for photography but how often do these things start on time?

Chris

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Even though i've done the journey twice before, i've been asked how long it takes to drive from Calais to Le Mans ( must be getting old, i can't recall the length of the journey, can only guess ).
Assuming not breaking the speed limits and going via the main roads but not the motorway toll route, what do you guys recall please ?
Thanks in advance.

It's about 400 k and at an average of 100kph / 60mph it's 4 hours

Add a refuel stop for the GTand I think about 4.5 to 5 hours

Ian

Maybe its the Noble and Lotus Elise owners that have bought Friday night track time and displaced the 40's to a later time slot!!
See you all out there.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
I have just heard that another first is due to take place at the event.

Motors TV are going to visit our stand (number49) on Friday "late morning" and do a TV piece on the club and cars.

Please could we have a good turnout of cars at about 11am

Thanks
Ian

Back