Longest distance trip in your 40?

Keep me apprised as I love long road trips, too. I usually take a long one from CO whenever I return from overseas. Last time I drove from the Denver area down to Tampa, then back but I've made longer ones in the past.

It's a great way to decompress, and be one with your machine. I'm in good health so don't have issues with a sore back, legs, whatever. I just hit the road! However, I've found that I need to take more restroom stops these days, like every 400-500 miles, vs over 700 miles...when I was younger then. Can you tell, I hate pit stops?

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Keep me apprised as I love long road trips, too. I usually take a long one from CO whenever I return from overseas. Last time I drove from the Denver area down to Tampa, then back but I've made longer ones in the past.

It's a great way to decompress, and be one with your machine. I'm in good health so don't have issues with a sore back, legs, whatever. I just hit the road! However, I've found that I need to take more restroom stops these days, like every 400-500 miles, vs over 700 miles...when I was younger then. Can you tell, I hate pit stops?

Your fuel bladder is bigger than mine! :) Kevin you need to come down with Daryl.

longest trip in my DRB GT40 was Newcastle to Goulburn and return in one day a distance of about 700 kilometers, no problems at all and very enjoyable. It did rain the last 100 ks but again no problem and no water leaks into the cabin.

Darrell
DRB#46
G50 LS1

Did 700 miles in one day plus a ferry crossing from France to UK. Driving back through Germany, France, Luxemburg, Belguim, France again before hitting good old Blighty and accross country Dover to Devon. Rained for most of the day and yes I did get wet inside the car, but was still able to move when I got home, boy those cars are comfy once you get settled. 1500 miles in the week total.

I just got home from a 200 mile lunch trip. Long straights in the flats, tight turns in the mountains, not too many cars to pass, three deer (total) peering at the highway, four small communities, and a machaca burrito with rice and beans. I took it easy because my wife was along for the ride. There, including lunch, and back in about three hours 45 minutes. God, I love that car.

I took it easy because my wife was along for the ride.

Is that why you say you wear earplugs all the time? :laugh:

Seriously--good on ya for actually driving the car and not just looking at it!

How does your GT40 compare with your Mangusta and Pantera, for the type of driving-with-the-wife you describe above? I would think the other two cars would be better-suited for such drives, and the GT40 would be more appropriate for solo early-morning WFO blasts through the mountains?

I was just thinking of the Pantera today as my back was being pressed against the seat in the GT40 during a passing maneuver. I was comparing it to the same maneuver in the Pantera and remembering that when I first got that car, the enjoyment of passing was just the same. Now in the Pantera, it feels sort of mundane.

My wife prefers the GT40 because it's so wild. But the horse she has is an Arab that she rides pretty wildly so that probably explains it.

For the longest time now Mike, your signature has said that you're gearing up for a Superformance Mk1. That's pretty tall gearing! You're still on your way to getting there. What's keeping you?

For the longest time now Mike, your signature has said that you're gearing up for a Superformance Mk1. That's pretty tall gearing! You're still on your way to getting there. What's keeping you?

There's the little matter of the $100,000 that I don't have. :cry:

The airline pilot business ain't what it used to be, and currently I'm only working part-time flying the C-5 for the Air Force reserves. I'm getting by, but it'll be many years before I've got the coin saved to be able to buy a GT40 for myself. In the meantime I have to be satisfied with what I already have (seven cars and four motorcycles--I'm not exactly suffering) and enjoy learning as much as I can here.

Oh, and petting my GT40-prepped ZF gearbox, the first baby step towards ultimate GT40 ownership, which I undertook earlier this year...:)

have (seven cars and four motorcycles--I'm not exactly suffering) and enjoy learning as much as I can here.

Mike sell them all and sell me that beautiful GT350 you drove around Europe. Buy a SPGT40. I love mine and will never ever sell it. I am sure when you get yours you will feel the same. It is a part of the family.

Kevin

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Who was it here that once said the difference between their Pantera and the GT40 was that "When I'm driving the GT40 I never pretend I'm driving the Pantera!"

There's the little matter of the $100,000 that I don't have. :cry:
In the meantime I have to be satisfied with what I already have (seven cars and four motorcycles--I'm not exactly suffering) and enjoy learning as much as I can here.
...:)

OHHHH I bet the state of California LOVES you. Hell never mind the 100K for the car, just sell a few Sciroccos, the GT350 clone and the registration savings alone will have you there in a second!

Seriously, I was bummed I didn't get to meet some of you guys in Monterey this year. Although, not a 40 I hope to have my car out for a few long drives when it's all shook out. I've put in Recaros (and a trunk) to help achieve this goal as nothing wears me out more than a crappy seat :knife:

Good thread - I look forward to seeing a train of 40's running to some far off destination in the future :)

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
I think Daryl has the right idea about all joining up for a cruise to the races next year. Maybe we should look into organizing that event??

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Who was it here that once said the difference between their Pantera and the GT40 was that "When I'm driving the GT40 I never pretend I'm driving the Pantera!"

Rick,

I'm afraid that was me. It was a joke, I am a big fan of Panteras, I would love to have one!

The quote was an answere to the question: What's the biggest difference between the Pantera and the GT 40.........

I said: The biggest difference is that I never pretend I'm driving a Pantera.......

Kinda of funny, kinda of true.

Since the Formula 1 race in Austin looks to be going down the tubes, Monterey sounds good. I'm gonna have to figure out some way to get my windshield wipers functional, though.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Since the Formula 1 race in Austin looks to be going down the tubes, Monterey sounds good. I'm gonna have to figure out some way to get my windshield wipers functional, though.

Wow, that would be about 3k miles one way for you! Before I do that, I need some of those hydraulic lifts that will pick the car up 3 inches in the front while driving, I remember many spots of road from AR to CA that are not in good shape.

Back