Longest distance trip in your 40?

Wow, that would be about 3k miles one way for you! Before I do that, I need some of those hydraulic lifts that will pick the car up 3 inches in the front while driving, I remember many spots of road from AR to CA that are not in good shape.

Ramliftpro.com

Home

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
I managed to put almost 1000 miles on 2161 in four Saturdays in Oct. She's tucked away for the winter but I'm sure next spring I'll pick up where I left off :)

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Rich did you get a set of those yet? CA roads (more south) are bad too. Christmas is here but I have been spending money on my 208 turbo ferrari, every once and a while she will ask WHATS THIS!? on the checking account. :) I guess I need to Ebay more stuff. Look at this beautiful thing!

Michael good for you, you all have had some early snows too!

Attachments

• 208 TT 010.jpg
    208 TT 010.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 314
  • 208 TT 007.jpg
    208 TT 007.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 313
Jack, I haven't purchased a set of lifts yet. It's on the list tho. Right behind a fire suppression system.

BTW, beautiful Ferrari. I've always loved the lines of that era. The new ones just don't have the visual appeal of the older ones. If I won the lottery my next purchase would be a 288 GTO. Want to trade garage's I'm jealous.:chug:

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Michael good for you, you all have had some early snows too!
Looks like you have some great toys. We're experiencing a period of Indian Summer here east of the Continental Divide in Colorado. It was 70f yesterday in Denver. Too bad I live at 9000' and it's winter here or I would take the car down the mountain and put some more miles on. I can't wait for next spring! Hoping to attend an event next summer and meet many of you all there. Are there any can't miss gt40 events on the schedule for 2012?

Howard Jones

Supporter
If you guys come out to California I will throw a GT40 party for you at my home. I can round up a half dozen local 40's and all the beer you guys can drink. It'll will be fun!

Then maybe we can all go down to the historics together. I might be able to organize a coral pass deal with the NORCAL Shelby guys. I'm a member.

PM me when you work out the details.

Howard Jones

Supporter
If you wanted to run your car a the 50th cobra event I would think you would have to contact them directly.

I think that the NORCAL Shelby club will more than likely do some sort of coral parking deal at the track. I watch there website and see after the new year.

As far as an open track event we could all attend. The NORCAL Shelby club does a Thunder hill Spring Fling in April each year. That's a good one. Also the COCOCA club down in So Cal will have their 40th year at Willow Springs around the same time. Both are excellent groups.

Laguna Seca has a very tight sound level rule. I am sure I can't run my GT40 there. I think it's 92 Db. That's street car stock mustang GT level. Very difficult for a GT40.

If you guys really what to come out let me know after the first of the year and we'll begin working on something. Free Beer..........can't beat free beer.

I say lets make one. I wonder what it cost to rent Sears Point for a weekend?

It's only about $20-25K or so for a weekend in the summer. Chump change! :shocked:

BTW we had a spectacular track day at Laguna Seca yesterday--flawless weather etc. 92db day (some days are 90 db which is crazy). Some people got black-flagged for sound driving 100% stock cars with the original exhaust (Corvettes mostly). But it's really easy to trick the sound Nazis by just loafing up the hill between turns 5 and 6.

Laguna Seca costs a fortune as well; it's by far the most expensive track around, because it's run by The Government. It's a huge cash cow for the county.

Track Rentals - Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca

The Shelby Club Spring Sprint will be at Thunderhill in April; it's much less expensive to rent, and thus to participate in, and hotels are cheap too.

Charlie Farley

Supporter
Alan,

Tee hee !
I wouldn't suggest North Korea, they probably would end up rearing chickens in it... After all Av Gas must be in short supply there.

Just a suggestion.
Purloin one of your C5's and ship all your guy's cars to Le Mans Classic next july ?

HAHAHAHA!!! Sounds appealing--especially if we could rig up some sort of stacker mechanism to double the number of cars.

The problem is, the airplane is such an unreliable POS that we'd break down enroute and wouldn't get there until after the race ended! :embarassed:

BTW I've gone to LMC every time since 2004, and will never miss it! Looking forward to 2012 already! :thumbsup:

If you haven't gone at least once, you're wrong. Do whatever it takes to get out there, and enjoy rural France while you're at it. Each year, I travel with a group of De Tomaso owners on a very laid-back countryside tour, usually encompassing the Loire valley which is filled with chateaus and wineries etc. It's a delightful way to spend the week leading up to the race. And it's also relatively cheap. Once you leave Paris behind and just concentrate on the countryside, food and lodging become extremely reasonable--arguably as cheap (if not cheaper) than in the USA, for instance.

If anybody wants any specific information (i.e. copies of past year's itineraries with links to fabulous, cheap country hotels, chateaus, etc.) just ping me at my e-mail address below....

I'm ready anytime. I may be going back to the LA area in the 40 in the next few weeks. I just need to find a house sitter. I'm not much of a winter person after growing up in the LA area however Coeur d'Alene still has the best Spring and Summer of any place I've ever lived.

I will need to finish my luggage boxes before I leave this time. They are a little tougher to make for a MKI. The MKII folks have it much easier. I've thought about making a new rear structure like the MKIIs for my car. Did the later (67-69) MKIs have luggage boxes and if they did was the structure like a MKI or MKII? Sorry off topic.

Mike I would think a C5 would be the perfect aircraft for the job. Can't you arrange a little side trip for a few of your friends? lol. I flew in a C5 from Germany to the US back in the early 70's in a seat that didn't recline. Still a great flight.

Back