LS 7 oil cooler

So I am installing an LS 7 motor and have finally figured out that the contraption on the left side of the oil pan is an oil cooler. There is one very strange fitting that appears to interface with an OEM oil cooler line. I have also determined that there are alternatives made (Peterson, etc.) to convert these lines to more typical AN fittings. I have a couple of questions:
1. Where have users of this engine mounted a cooler in an SLC application? and
2. Is the oil cooler necessary in the SLC application? With such a light weight vehicle versus the use in the Corvette, I'd wonder if it's really necessary.
Any input from previous users of the LS 7 users would be appreciated.

Ken Roberts

Supporter
I am using the factory oil pan mounted oil cooler . I used the factory hoses with the strange connector you mention. I can take pictures of how I connected the hoses if you need them. I can give you the part number for the two hoses also.

Ken-
I would also love to see any photos you are willing to provide showing how you installed the factory lines and tied them into the coolant lines.

Ken Roberts

Supporter
Here is the parts diagram for the oil cooler.

You'll need the following:

15-oil cooler inlet hose #15870518
17-clip #15291780
18-oil cooler outlet hose #19130529
21-fitting #22912546

Ken Roberts

Supporter
The coolant inlet hose (#15) connects between the #21 fitting on the side of the block and the fitting #12 at the oil cooler. You might already have fitting #21 installed in the block. If it isn't installed than you will see a thread in fitting. To remove it you'll need a 17mm allen key.

I carefully removed the rubber hose section from the #15 inlet hose. Added my own hose section (used 5/8" heater hose) and used two hose clamps to reassemble it to my specs.

The coolant outlet hose (#18) simply installs between the oil cooler fitting #11 and the coolant pipe that returns the engine coolant to the front mounted radiator. I welded a 1/2" stainless NPT fitting to my coolant pipe just before it makes the 90 degree turn at the side of the chassis. Then I threaded in a 5/8" stainless hose barb.

Last edited:

Ken Roberts

Supporter
Here is the brass fitting that you are looking for at the front side of the block. It takes a 17mm allen key. Remove the brass fitting and install #21 fitting for the coolant inlet hose.

Ken Roberts

Supporter
Here are a couple of pictures of the oil cooler for those that aren't familiar with it.

The benefits of this type of cooler are: takes up less space than a traditional cooler, robust design, oil is brought up to temperature faster due to the interaction with the engine coolant.

It isn't the most efficient type of cooler however but if it's good enough for the ZR1 Corvettes......

Ken Roberts

Supporter
The only "heads up" I have for this type of cooler is that it's used on LS engines that don't have a low mounted alternator. It fit on my car with a low mounted alternator though. I'm using a Pontiac G8 GXP accessory drive which is similar to a CTSV accessory drive. The two blue 5/8" heater hoses in the bottom right side of the picture are for the oil cooler. The spiral armour on one of the hoses is used to make it bend the way I wanted.

Last edited:
Back