LS7 oil cooler

'Ello

Any of you SLC (or WHY) guys fitting LS7's have any pictures or schematics showing where to plumb in the oil cooler given that the (dry sump) engine has a seperate oil resevoir?:embarassed:

Technically embarrassed of Lindfield

Thanks

John

the oil cooler can be plumbed straight off the oil pan, then off to the reservoir, which then feeds back to the proper boss on the pan (how I did it). If memory serves, the rearward boss is the scavenge line, and the forward boss is the feedline for the motor.

Alternatively, you can buy a Lingenfelter adaptor and bolt it to the side of the block above the oil filer and run that to a cooler. That has the advantage of allowing you to fit a thermostat to the circuit, which controls the cooling.

'Ello

J, looks like Tom has the answer.

Tom, many thanks for the information, love the "spud" by the way, where did it come from? Hopefully you are not the original potato man:stunned:

Best

John

PS. J and Tom,I just looked at the Lingenfelter, looks ideal as I would prefer to have a thermo controlled flow, an almost identical product seems to be available in the UK supplied by MIH for those on this side of the pond with current exchange rates. - John

Last edited:
John,

no great creative genius on my part, every time I join a bulletin board, or sign up for an email account I get tired of not having "tom" user name available. For years I used bicycle pedals which got nicknamed "spuds", so I just went with that. Besides, it's pithy.

Good luck on your build, you're certainly starting the game with some really nice stuff!

Tom

The Lingenfelter also moves it to the other side - perfect - because the Ricardo tranny cooler is on the right side. Thanks!

Tom, I just switched from Frogs to Egg Beaters :)

Spud:laugh:

just noticed you have a GD T70, superb piece of kit, very nice rear coil mounts. Saw an owner's car at Stoneleigh kit car show here in the UK also fitted with an LS (think it was a 7) and Kinsler stack, absolute knockout. You probably know that Andy Burrows imports LS engines into the UK and sets them up with Kinsler stacks, the route I am going down.

I have a GD euro Cobra which from a handling point of view is the best (Cobra) replica mostly because of the very stiff backbone chassis.

What spec is your T70?

Regards

John

John,

I am building a standard GDT70 with lightweight body work, full glass windshield, stock LS7 motor and GT2 6 speed gearbox with the 3.44 final drive. I don't think there are any insanely trick parts on the it, beyond the LS7. In point of interest, we just fired the engine for the first time yesterday. Running through the cats and borla mufflers, the thing is LOUD! A couple issues to chase down on the management side (it's running really rich at the moment) and there are concerns about oil pressure, but overall it's pretty cool/crazy. I can't even imagine what the LS7 is like with a Kinsler on it!

J., are you running the Crank Brothers pedals? THey look super convenient with 4 side entry, but I have concerns about getting ejected when planting the pedals doing the big log crossings (25" logs). I switched from Shimano to Time and they seem pretty good. Yesterday I had a lot of problems with snow packing, but I think anything would have had problems.

Oh, and BTW, Happy New Year to everyone!

Tom

John,

one more note, I visited Andy with the intention of building a Cobra, but just got sucked into the T70. The test ride in the Cobra was an eye opener for sure, especially after having been awake for about 30 hours straight (can't sleep on planes). That Cobra is AWESOME!

Tom

Tom

Thanks for that, any pics of your build? I have sent a pm with my email address.

Best

John

Tom and J. If the good Lord had intended us to push pedals up and down he would not have invented the Internal Combustion Engine..........

Back