Mario Andretti's 1966 mk2 T70 Lola

Ok, so- the 14 inchers look the same from the outside as the 17s because the extra width is on the backside or rear space portion of the wheel? Would a 14 incher fit over Frans rear suspension bits? (i'm not concerned with the 5-6 pin issue.) Perhaps Fran might have knowledge of this clearence dilemma. I may be able to live with ONLY 14" wide wheels like Bill D did with his Gulf GT40 with widened BRM wheels.

Attachments

• engine%20install%20021.jpg
    engine%20install%20021.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 627
Can't answer your question but I do have the 14" wheels which are original Lola in the Lola pattern. I am not sure where the 3" difference lies though and would have to investigate further. I believe it is on the inside backspacing because the external dimensions seem similar.

Johan, Your MkIIIb, was it purchased from Jim Galluci in Danville CA.? Those shots you posted are the absolute reason I get out bed every morning! (the photos for now) God that looks so bitchin!!!!!!!!!
icon14.gif

Hi Johan
I've managed to get NOS Hewland Bellhousing which fits directly on the FE engine and the LG500. I believe Hewland called this a LG/Galaxy bellhousing.
Thanks for trying anyway.

Can you supply wheels for the spyder and if so what sizes as the existing ones, certainly the rear ones are too big?
Keith

Picture of SBF-Hewland bell and FE Bell... obviously would not have fit so glad you found one.
What wheels do you have now front and rear ?

Attachments

• DSCF0022.JPG
    DSCF0022.JPG
    114.7 KB · Views: 473
Hi Johan

I need 2 of 15" x 10" wide for the front and 2 of 15" x 12" or 13" wide for the rear, complete with road tyres.

If the price is ok I may go for 2 sets.

I also need to change the wheels back to bolt on as opposed to the spin on ones fitted by John
moz-screenshot.jpg
Mason in the early seventies, can you help with these?

Keith

And I need an approximation of the backspacing you have now as well. Widths and backspacing of what is on the car currently...so I know which type of uprights we are dealing with.
I looked closely at the pictures I found here :
http://www.bonhams.com/cgi-bin/publ...bonhams.com/&sPath=2006-07/27/7301215-9-1.jpg
If you want to race you need a new set of wheels. For the street you may be able to use what you have on the front but the rears appear to be custom made and I do not think they would fit in an attractive fashion under the spyder bodywork. The fronts are drilled already for 6 studs so at a minimum you may need hubs. How do you plan to use the car ? I think the best bet would be 9" front and 12" rear...with an older set of race Dunlops past their prime.

Last edited by a moderator:

Clyde Conell

CURRENTLY BANNED
Here is the latest I read about Mario Andretti. I can;t wait to see this. It has been numerous years since a Formula One race has been held in the U.S., and the next will be occurring at a brand new race track. The Circuit of the Americas, found in Austin, Texas, has just been opened and will have several events held until the U.S. Gran Prix runs on November 18.

This is interesting, I thought this car was rebuilt to correct MkII specs including Ford big block and Mecom livery by Keith in 2011? This is what John Starkey wrote in his latest book, did this not happen? If it did happen it wouldn't have MkIIIB uprights then.
Why is this car noted as SL72 in some publications and race entries where other MkII's were identified as SL71 ?

Keith has rebuilt the car correct and it did have the correct uprights. What he had that was confusing wS a set of wheels that had been custom constructed to look like mk3b wheels but they had the offset of the mkii.
It had special nomenclature because it was a special car, unlike the cars before it or after it.

Johan, I hope you don't mind but I sent you a private message as you may be able to help me with my project. Let me know if you don't get it?
Thanks for the clarification regarding Keiths car.
Regards, Karl

I am not an expert by any means on the T70's... But I had an opportunity to look at a local collection of vintage race cars that included the owners latest addition, a light blue Lola T70 that appeared to be in old and reportedly original livery that had Mario and Parnelli Jones' names painted on it. The meatball number is 21. Beautiful car! Does anyone know of any history on this one?

Back