Maurader T70 back from the grave...

Fantastic progress. I really like the colour.

Does the body (spider and sills) fit well on the straightened chassis?

Hi Richard
Everything fits very nicely now that the chassis' straight :) I had a major problem dry fitting the fuel tanks, but they popped on easily enough a few days ago.
Busy with the sill cladding at the moment, so will be able to screw the spider down once and for all on the weekend and get everything aligned properly.

Thanks for the interest - Mark

Mark
Looks like those Bits and pieces in your first photos are Older Corvette rear suspension parts, and a Mustang II steer rack. They should be easy to source.
Nice project. I recently came across a Marauder chassis/body but got the 40 going and although I would love to snag it and get going I already have my hands full.
Cheers
Phil

Hi Guys...
Quick update on progress...
Okay where to start - got the cladding back from laser cutting & ... Nah - Sorry all - Guess you'll just have to have a look see here on Monday - might have a 'few' pics to post (Not saying any more right now...)
HeHeHe :)

Hi Folks
Bit more of an in-depth update on my little project as promised. Unfortunately the memory stick on my camera decided to die, so here's more tell than show :mad: Bloody livid about this and speaking to a few people to see if they can recover the files...

Anyway... Got my panels back from the laser cutters. Really impressed with the quaility of the work and even more impressed that all my hard work of making card templates and digitising them worked out 99% accurate :) Approx 700 pop rivets, two dozen drill bits and a right arm to rival Popeye, all the chassis cladding, sprayed Battleship Grey, all in place. All the pop rivets are exposed in silver, all exactly 50mm apart in a double row and looks almost delicate... Absolutely stunning to look at and EXACTLY portrays the look I was going for.

Since the cladding turned out so well, A bit of a confidence booster and went mad on 2mm brushed stainless steel for all the brackets, radiator shrouds, access panels... The list goes on. All pre-drilled and installed without a hitch - Nice when things go according to plan isn't it? (Shameless punt to my mate Gavin for organising (Chief beer drinker shown elsewhere on this thread) , and Global Laser Bolt and Tool for the cutting and bending)

Got new rear swing arms fabricated as they couldn't find the old ones and look the business :) Little bit of modification to get them to fit properly but again not too much of a stretch. After weeks and weeks, I finally got the rear tires on the ground. Bit of a milestone.

Moving on - got the sills and spider fitted and atempted to hang the doors properly. Remove sills and spider to sort this out and start again. Result :)
Got the windscreen (that's a really big bit of glass!) and attempted to fit. Time to start again. Remove sills, spider and doors. :mad: Re-position everything to get a decent fit and re-assemble. Again. Result :pepper:

Got the dash in and connected. Steering column in as well, so now it tells the front wheels exactly where to point.

The rims are split rim Compomotives, and in my wisdom, I split them to re-furbish them and managed to break the seals holding them together. Would not hold pressure at all. Spent four hours yesterday sealing the bloody things with silicone and doing up all the nuts and bolts properly... Probably the most frustrating and time wasting job I've had to do on this project so far... waste of a Sunday when i could be doing other things.

Rims sorted, tires inflated and back on the chassis. Hang-on... It Rolls!!!

Right - Sun is shining (it's winter here), sort out a few loose ends and get this thing outside. Now.

original.jpg

I've been waiting for this for weeks now. Very proud moment for me. Got a few beers and just stared at it. Real sense of achievement.

Sure there's still work to be done, but no doubt, I'm on the home straight now :) Not going to list what's still needs to be done - I'll post that later. For now, hope you enjoy some pics of my car... I've posted a few more of these in the Lola Lounge as well, so hope the Mod's don't mind...

Front-Doors-Open.jpg

Front-Side.jpg

Rear-Back.jpg

Interior.jpg

Cheers - Mark

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Holy SMOKES Mark - That is just downright freakin' BEAUTIFUL!!!!!

I now have a new screensaver on my PC!!!

That car will crown the tops of many calendar pages!!!

Mark Charlton

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Mark, your progress and the end (near-enough) results are nothing short of spectacular. PLEASE post some high-resolution photos in the gallery section so we can all properly drool in large-screen format! Well done and thanks for sharing the progress!

Mark,

Having first hand experience working on my car for 16 months when I did the Cobra, and having to reconstruct and fabricate many items to finish my car, I can relate to what you have faced in your ongoing project.

At times, it can be very frustrating. Then, when you get to that point where to beer can is open, and you are settled down and enjoying the beautiful angles of your car, the joy of accomplishment overcomes everything else.

Great job, and I really enjoy your updates and pictures. Please keep them coming.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Mark

Back in my karting days I had the same problem resealing split rims.

The trick seemed to be to get an 'O" ring and slip it on one side of the rim. Bolt the rim together and then roll the "O" to the joint and it will sit there and any air pressure will press it harder into place.

Certainly worked on the kart! But you'll need a lot bigger O ring!

Ian

Hi All
Thanks for all the kind words... Does make up for the hours and hours in the garage in the freezing cold, fiddling with small bits and pieces that make up the whole. Damn impressed with how things have worked out - Not bad for a weekend spanner turner :)

Managed to rescue some progress pics, so I'll be sort of posting in reverse for a bit on how things went together. So stay tuned and I'll get some sense of order and start posting more pics.
I'd like to post some large format images in the Gallery section, Mark... But either I'm an idiot, or something's broken. I did post in the General Forum section, but if some kind soul could PM me on how to get some piccies posted, would appreciate it :)
Again, thanks for the positive response - Mark

Nice pics on the ad too, Mark. Are you able to post links to hi-res pics? I need a new desktop picture!

Thanks and good luck with the sale.

Back