mid engine 944 transaxle

I am new to this forum and i see a lot of interest in converting the 944 transaxle to mid engine. I have come up with a solution to the problem.I am in the process of completing this.I will explain how i do it. I am adapting an LS engine to the 944 using the stock flywheel and starter along with a 10.5" clutch good for 500 hp.I make an collar that allows you to use a hydraulic bearing and a special pilot bearing so you don't have to machine down the input shaft or take the transmission apart. This process is a complete bolt in operation which means if you have to replace the transaxle you don't have to machine anything.Thank you for your interest. Gary

Thank you all for your responses. Very good information.

What gear ratios do I really want?

After a lot of reading up on this site it appears my best option is an Audi 016 with 944 turbo ring and pinion 3.375:1 for a lot of reasons, affordability, availability (cores and parts), dependability, do-ability etc.

My objectives are:

1. to minimize costs
  2. reasonable durability, given respectfully street driven 300 ft.lb. torque (not a track car)
  3. comfortable engine RPM for highway cruising.
The question I really need to ask is, what is comfortable engine RPM for highway cruising? I feel all of the affordable longitudinal transaxles are geared too high. But what is too high?

I intend to use a small displacement, short stroke V8 tuned for mid/high RPM driven on the street. I have never before owned a high performance V8 and really do not know what a "comfortable" engine speed should be.

Your thoughts and input are appreciated.:huh:

I have almost finished adapting a LS to a 944 with a stock flywheel and starter and a 10.5" clutch good for 500hp. It is a complete bolt in operation.I think this might interest you.Thank you Gary

Re:cad drawing for porsche 915 transaxle

I need the Bellhousing diameter and bolt hole locations on a porsche 915 trans axle. Thank You, Gary

Back