Mongoose Motorsports 63 GS

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Maxwell,

There seems to be an agenda with you and Superformance.

You are getting quotes for a Grand Sport form both SPF and Mongoose? You are concerned that Hillbank opening a Superformance showroom in the Detroit Metro area will hurt RCR? (previous posting)

Are you looking for a GS or a GT40? And yes, the GS DOES cost more than a GT40 from SPF. The amount of tooling and development is very high. The level of sales will likely be low as compared to the GT40.

I did a custom car show this weekend with a GT40 MK II and a Superformance MK III ("Cobra 427" to most) and our banner sign had the Grand Sport on it. Only the local Corvette club guys even knew what it was. However he GM of one the largest Chevy dealerships in the USA asked about buying one for "promotional puposes"....

Maxwell,

There seems to be an agenda with you and Superformance.

You are getting quotes for a Grand Sport form both SPF and Mongoose? You are concerned that Hillbank opening a Superformance showroom in the Detroit Metro area will hurt RCR? (previous posting)

Are you looking for a GS or a GT40? And yes, the GS DOES cost more than a GT40 from SPF. The amount of tooling and development is very high. The level of sales will likely be low as compared to the GT40.

I did a custom car show this weekend with a GT40 MK II and a Superformance MK III ("Cobra 427" to most) and our banner sign had the Grand Sport on it. Only the local Corvette club guys even knew what it was. However he GM of one the largest Chevy dealerships in the USA asked about buying one for "promotional puposes"....

Hurt RCR? I dont know what you mean.

I have no agenda whats so ever, I have reached an age and point in life where I can indulge a little and on my wish list is a Gt40 as well as a couple other legendary cars. With that said I like modern suspensions, brakes and engines. Old look but only the look and even that I would modify with modern lights LED etc.
I have my daily drivers but I have started my wish list with and by building a Mustang Gt350 clone, next on the list and not in order is Gt40 and a FFR Cobra. Oh and yes a GS vette was on there but I will settle now for a 90s ZR1. With the exception of the ZR1 please note that I want cars for enjoyment, racing and cruising. No worries of pushing them or breaking them thats why I like the clones.

I have nothing against SPF, other then paying through the nose for something that they will never be, originals. Dont even start me on what continuation means or only one licensed. To me it means nothing we all have personal tastes and thoughts. To me original is original and everything else is a clone or knock off.

I never settled with my muscle cars I was always upgrading. Even if they were brand new and under warranty I would not hesitate at pulling out an engine and replacing it. Its the spirit of the thing.

Lastly I hate to see things farmed out to another country when we could be building them here in the USA.

Just my opinion and views on things.

Max

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
I have nothing against SPF, other then paying through the nose for something that they will never be, originals.

I'm not following you: how does buying an SPF constitute "paying through the nose for something that they will never be?"

Also, who is claiming them to be "original?"

A continuation car is a car like the Cobra licenced by Shelby, Chevron B16,B8 by either Malkie or Smith. They are eligible to race in the vintage races in their class along with originals. Built to original spec's, they carry a hefty price tag. They are also allowed to use the company name and logo. Anything else is taboo.

I bet Fran has the Superlite Marque trademarked and copywrited. If one of you guys started spitting them out labling the same, he and his lawyers would have something to say about it. GM and Ford are no different. They will use you if it suits them and sue if there is money to be made.
Dave

A continuation car is a car like the Cobra licenced by Shelby, Chevron B16,B8 by either Malkie or Smith. They are eligible to race in the vintage races in their class along with originals. Built to original spec's, they carry a hefty price tag. They are also allowed to use the company name and logo. Anything else is taboo.

I bet Fran has the Superlite Marque trademarked and copywrited. If one of you guys started spitting them out labling the same, he and his lawyers would have something to say about it. GM and Ford are no different. They will use you if it suits them and sue if there is money to be made.
Dave

Dave I agree with your comments and as you say it carries a hefty price tag. I also agree that people/companies will and must protect their names and logos. I would do the same.

Alan sorry maybe I did not express myself well. I state that to me originals are originals.
If I were to purchase a SPF I would purchse it used because to me the hefty price tag on a new just to say that its a continuation series is not worth the premium. Thats to me and after all its my money and will spend it as I see fit.

Designs are a different thing and I have no problem with updating old designs or taking a styling que and remolding it.

Its the Hot Rodder spirit, I love it!

Last edited:

Ron Scarboro

GT40s Supporter
Supporter
I'm not so sure about the "hefty price tag" monitor actually.

I quoted builds for a Cobra on a pretty "like for like" basis. My quotes from builders weren't much (if any) less than SPF. Specifically I was only quoted about 5%-10% (2,500 on one and $3,900 from the other) less than a SPF from well known two builders of FFR cars for a Mark IV FFR vs the Mark III SPF price.

Also, I was quoted a bit over $70K for a SPF GS when I was toying around with that and the Mongoose is listed at $69,995 on their website. I did not specifically negotiate on either. The difference is licensing to GM/Duntov I'll bet.

I ended up getting a 289FIA which is more than a Mark III, but has the transverse suspension in it. SPF's can get expensive if you're heavy on the options though. It is probably better to get it vanilla and upgrade it over time.

SPF's can get expensive if you're heavy on the options though. It is probably better to get it vanilla and upgrade it over time.[/QUOTE]

Ron getting the vehicles vanilla and upgrading them is what I want to do and enjoy doing. This is why most of us are on these forums and this is why I joined. Mongoose was offering various component forms and the basic was well under 20 grand for body and chassis mounted. This is how I wanted it.

Turnkey or roller minus is not for me.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
hefty price tag on a new just to say that its a continuation series is not worth the premium....

You're implying that the only difference between an SPF and its competitors is the price and "continuation" status. This is not at all true.

Turnkey or roller minus is not for me.

"Turnkey or Roller" is all SPF does, which means they were never an option, so why are you even talking about them?

its my money and will spend it as I see fit. .

Did someone suggest otherwise?

Last edited:
The option of purchasing a starter kit or component form such as RCR and CAV offer is much more interesting to me and your right I dont have that option with SPF.

But I have seen even on this forum some greatly reduced prices on used Gts. The price being low enough it can justify the further investment in mods. So Alan it would be an option.

Relax Im not SPF unfreindly, your happy with yours and thats great. Im stubborn, getting older and I like having choices, especially in my projects. Once my decision is made on my GT of choice I will protect it too.

Last edited:
But I have seen even on this forum some greatly reduced prices on used Gts. The price being low enough it can justify the further investment in mods. So Alan it would be an option.

Perfect example of this was on this forum an amazing Gt for 58K. For this price a person can make quite a few modifications and still have a deal.

Last edited:

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
...Relax Im not SPF unfreindly, your happy with yours and thats great.

I didn't say I was happy with mine and I am not unrelaxed either. If you read some of my other posts you will discover that in fact I'm not completely "happy" with it, nor am I an SPF loyalist in any way. But I did a lot of research before I bought it, and I understand why I bought it and how it fits into the spectrum of GT40 replicas.

I also like to see correct information posted on this forum, and incorrect information corrected; that's what makes it so valuable to new people. New people can just read through the forum and learn a lot.

Last edited:
I also like to see correct information posted on this forum, and incorrect information corrected; that's what makes it so valuable to new people. New people can just read through the forum and learn a lot.[/QUOTE]

I apologize for any mis-information. My thoughts are way ahead of my writing. Im a rookie too and there is much to learn.

Back