The GT40s First Race - May 31,1964

Hi all,

Today, May 31, is a significant and historic date – it’s the 39th anniversary of the GT40’s first race, the Nurburgring 1000kms.

Hersh is talking about the GT40 boys getting together. How about all of us putting some bucks aside in the piggy bank and saving up for a HUGE get-together for next year’s 40th anniversary. There won’t be race there, on the old circuit, but I’m sure we could make a deal with the organisers to meet up there with owners of original cars, the European and British club GT40 clubs, etc. Some forum members could even ship their cars to Germany for the gathering. IMAGINE THE GREAT PARTY! It would be great to invite all or as many as possible former GT40/Mk1V/Mirage drivers – ie Hill, Gurney, Foyt, Amon, Ickx, Hobbs, Bell, Redman, Whitmore, Oliver and many more to the bash. Following on Ford’s centenary and the launch of the new GT next year an event of this nature would give Ford a great marketing platform. Jimmy Price of Hi-Tech Automotive/Superformance/new GT40 factory in Cape Town is a personal friend and business associate of Don Panoz. Now, if Don Panoz were to knock on Bill Ford’s door saying, ‘Hey Bill, I’ve got a good idea for you’, maybe Bill will listen! I would be available to serve on a planning committee. LET’S GIVE IT A GO!

That auspicious week-end and the week leading up to it was for me a crazy, funny one and I would like to share the memory with you. All the more reason why I would like to go back next year!

To lay the foundation for the story I repeat an earlier posting. In 1963 was asked to run Porsche’s direct factory sales division and several 904s were processed and delivered through this department, including one to Stirling Moss for his racing team, Stirling Moss Automobile Racing Team (SMART) which was run by three South Africans, brothers Ed and Bud Rossler and Piet van Asperen. This connection led to me joining Stirling’s Paint-a-Car System in London. I had in fact resigned from Porsche the Friday before the race and the Monday thereafter I went to London with Ed.

Ed and Piet collected the metallic green 904 in February, 1964 with a little orange Mini van and huge trailer. Towards the end of March I had a call from Stirling to tell me that his beautiful new Porsche had been written off in a practice accident at Silverstone. Driver was BOAC 707 captain, Hugh Dibley. Long afterwards Hugh said that the car slid on its roof so long that he watched it being ground away to the point where it got the Nardi wood rim steering wheel, which also got ground away at the top. Hugh said all he could do was lie there and watch the destruction! Hugh was the most unflappable driver I’ve ever known. Nothing shocked or shook him, no wonder he was the youngest captain ever at BOAC at under 30 years of age.
He also raced a Lola T70 Spyder in the Can-Am series and once he and Bud Rossler were towing the Lola to a race somewhere in the States behind a Pontiac. They had been chatting away for some time when Hugh checked the rear view and there was no trailer and Lola! Back they went about two miles and there stood the Lola on its trailer perfectly unharmed in a dip between the two lanes of the freeway. Fortunately the trailer decided to unhitch itself where there was a dip.

Anyway, Ed and Piet returned with the battered 904, which was tied together with tape and rope. The car was stripped to the last nut and bolt and rebuilt. Chassis number was 904.025 and as far as I can recall a new number, 904.088 was allocated.

The rebuild took longer than expected and the car was finally completed on the Wednesday before the week-end of the 1000km race. On the Thursday morning Ed and Piet set off with the shiny new, rebuilt 904 towed by the brave and long suffering little Mini van. Ed headed up towards the autobahn just up the hill from the Porsche factory and instead of turning left to head up towards the ‘Ring he turned left and headed for Heilbronn in completely the wrong direction. Worried about the shortage of time to get to the ‘Ring and no off-ramp in sight he did an illegal u-turn. A Ford Taunus suddenly appeared, clipped the trailer and in turn was hit by a following car. Luckily no injuries and only minor damage to the cars. Not so lucky for Ed, the Polizei arrrived and took him of to the Stuttgart slammer. Ed is a quiet guy and a true gentleman and the last thing one could imagine was poor old Ed in prison.

A distressed Piet phoned me to tell me what had happened and what must he do. I said get your butt and the car up north as fast as you can go. We’ll sort Ed out. Off to race boss, Huschke von Hanstein, I went and I got a dressing down about bloody stupid South Africans who only know how to drive in bush! Old Huschke was a great diplomat and he must have spoken very, very nicely to the Stuttgart prison authorities for Ed was released immediately and headed for the ‘Ring by train.

During practice on Saturday I was wondering through the paddock which had garages around the perimeter and there I saw it a - stunning, wide car with black nose with the number 140 on it – the new GT40! Now for the bad news. I had a camera slung around my neck and did I take a photo of the car? No!. On Sunday before the race I wandered along all the cars parked in echelon for the Le Mans start and walked up to the GT40 in second spot. Did I take a photo. No! I took many pics that week-end and I’m sure when we all look back on our lives we can kick ourselves for missed opportunities. Boy, 39 years later, can I kick myself!

The Moss 904 was driven by David Hobbs and American Lloyd Perry ‘Lucky’ Casner. At that time there were many larger-than-life racing drivers and Lucky was certainly one of the leading ones!. His involvement with Maserati, the ‘birdcage’ cars and the Camoradi team is a story in itself. At the opening lap of the 63 Le Mans I’ll never forget the speed when Lucky led the pack in his Maserati coupe. He also made history when he and Masten Gregory won the 1961 1000kms in a ‘birdcage’ Maserati in appalling wet and misty conditions. The ‘Ring is the most daunting circuit I ever knew and just to drive there you have to be a hero. To win there in wet conditions you have to be some kind of out-of-this world superman.

At about nine o clock on Sunday morning, some two hours before the start Lucky suggested that we take the 904 for a run around the track. That sounded like a great idea to me, a lap with a former winner of the race. We warmed the car up in the paddock garage and headed for the south curve behind the grandstand and towards a gate that opened on to the circuit. Something told me that all wasn’t right. Everything was quiet and there were no cars on the circuit. There was a marshal at the gate and he was most unwilling to let us through, but Lucky, also a brilliant and persuasive salesman convinced the unhappy man that it would be a good idea to let us through. Through we went and rocketed towards the south curve and then up behind the pits towards the north curve. Trouble ahead. Suddenly a large man in brown suit rushed on to the track and in traffic cop stance held up his hand –stop!

Lucky slowed and then in few seconds a battle of wits emerged. Lucky drove towards the man in the hope that he would jump backwards but the man firmly stood his ground. Lucky then, laughing, drove right up the man and parked about an inch from his chins! Big trouble ahead. If the man was cross about the car being on the track he was now furious at nearly being bumped off his feet. The gent was Herr Schmidt, circuit director, who was up in the control tower and had seen the Porsche enter the circuit. Cars were only allowed on the track during official practice and what we were doing was in absolute contravention of the regulations. Schmidt ordered us out the car and proceeded to give us hell in a parade ground voice. This was within earshot of many spectators on the bank to our left and they were all falling about laughing. I stood to attention and was hoping that that part of the track would open up and I would fall down the hole!

More trouble ahead. Herr Schmidt threatened to cancel the entry. After the Ed incident the last thing I needed was to run off to Huschke with another tale of woe. I also wanted to live long enough to get to England! I said to Lucky – ‘You sort it out, you are a good salesman!’

All ended well. Race day was beautiful and sunny and the Hobbs/Casner 904 finished in ninth spot out of a field of 51 and 35 retirements. Big field. Sadly Lucky was killed during a practice session for the following year’s Le Mans.

Photos to be posted by Denys are as follows:

The first black and white shot of the GT40 sideways at the start in a cloud of smoke is from the 1964/65 edition of ‘Automobile Year’.

Black and white shot of the Le Mans start, showing the GT40 second on the grid.. This is taken from Thora Hornung’s book – A 50 Year History of the Nurburgring. There are strange spots on the pic but are least it’s visible.

Thora an Evi Gurney (formerly Butz) at Le Mans, 1963. More below.

A rear view of Phil Hill in the Porsche pits. Huschke von Hanstein is seen on the right with white shirt and camera. At least I made up for my serious omission by taking a pic of one of the GT40 drivers! The works Porsche no 46 in the pits was driven by Herbert Linge and Gerhard Mitter.

Me delivering the 904 to Ed, first time round in February, 1964. To the right of the pic in dark suit was my English colleague, Roger Holliday, who has been living in Bowling Green, Ohio for many years. We they only English speaking foreigners at Porsche at the time.

David Hobbs, Stirling Moss and Piet van Asperen in the paddock. This pic was taken right opposite the GT40 garage!

Ed refuelling the 904. The Cobra, no 95, to the far left of the pic was driven by Tommy Hitchcock and Thiel and crashed out of the race.

Heading towards the south curve with Lucky Casner.

Entering the south curve.

Heading up behind the pits towards the north curve. I pressed the shutter seconds before Herr Schmidt appeared.

The cars before the start. The Cobra, no 101, next to the SMART metallic green 904 was driven by Bob Bondurant and Jochen Neerpasch. It retired on the 13th lap due to engine failure.

David Hobbs at the Le Mans start. If you remember my earlier posting about the Ritchie Ginther inspired air foil for the Bonnier/Maggs Porsche at the 1963 Le Mans, please note air foil made by Ed.

I must tell you about my association with Thora Hornung (formerly Gutmann) and the extraordinary coincidence surrounding her death.

When I joined Porsche in 1962, thanks to Huschke von Hanstein, the first people I met were the staff in his Press Department. Apart from being racing manager he also headed up that department. First were his secretaries Thora and Evi, two bubbly and enthusiastic young ladies. I witnessed the romance blossoming between Evi and Dan Gurney and Dan mentioned in a recent Porsche magazine the ‘electricity between them’. Yeah, I saw it. High voltage it was!

Thora and Evi were great buddies and the strong bond remained after Evi had moved to California after marrying Dan in 1969. I also met Wolfgang, Thora’s boy friend, later fiance and later husband. We formed a clique and often to travelled to race meetings all over Europe.

After I left Porsche, Thora became my most regular and informative correspondent for the next 34 years. I often had amusing updates about Porsche and the world of motor racing. After leaving Porsche, Thora became a well-known journalist and author in Germany. She wrote a book on the 50 year history of the Nurburging, entitled ’50 JAHRE NURBURGRING’. Foreword appropriately was by her old boss, Huschke von Hanstein. A great book with super pics but I don’t know if it was ever translated into English. I hope so.

In the mid-990s I heard that Wolfgang, a doctor of physics, had cancer from which he eventually died in 1998. I couldn’t believe it. And then a year later to my total horror I heard that Thora also had cancer. From then on the correspondence virtually dried up. I phoned her a few times and was always greeted by her chirpy and confident voice, like there was no problem. In late 1999 I phoned her and suggested that she visit us in Cape Town. Great idea she said. I then phoned Evi in California and got a totally different story. Evi said that she was putting on a brave front and was wasting away. She in fact told me to prepare for the worst and that the end was only months away.

In 2000 I went to England mainly for the Racing Car Show at the NEC in Birmingham. The first day of the show was Thursday, January 13. At about midday I went into Chater’s book stall. First my eye was caught by hundreds of books stacked side by side on trestle tables which meant that one could only read the titles on the spines. Then I looked up and there was a small stand with some books displayed in the conventional bookshelf manner. The very first book I noticed was one with Huschke von Hanstein grinning at me from the front cover of his biography, ‘Huschke von Hanstein – The Racing Baron’. I didn’t even know it existed.

Of course I bought the book, which I started reading in the hotel that night. Evi has her own chapter in which she writes about her and Dan’s memories of Huschke and Porsche. The book runs to 287 pages and over 500 photos and I would say it’s a must for all Porsche fans. Author is Tobias Eichele and it was first published in 1999 Koenemann Verlagsgesellschaft mbH, Bonner Strasse 126, Cologne.

Here’s the bizarre coincidence. When I returned home the following week there was a fax waiting from Evi to tell me that our dear buddy Thora had died in Stuttgart on Thursday 13. Who could have foreseen, when we were youngsters in our twenties, that I would buy a book some 38 years later on Huschke’s life and that Thora would die within hours of the purchase.

The saying that the good die young certainly applied to Wolfgang and Thora. They have two great kids, Robin and Nina and they were a happy and close knit family. They were vegetarians and enjoyed a healthy life style – one wonders why them?

On a final and positive note, how about the GT40 40th reunion at the Nurburgring a year from today. I’m looking forward to all your positive responses!

Best wishes,
Andre 40.

Back