Monotube vs. twin tube shocks

In the latest issue of Kitcar Mag. they have an article on the Bilstein monotube shocks/coilovers. They go into how they basicly differ and of course the way they make theirs. The twin tube shocks use the outer part of the body as the resevoir and use a smaller inside tube for the valving and dampening. they state that the larger piston to body ratio gives better control of the short quick movements, and this leads to better road feel and ride characteristics via the larger deflective valving. Deflective valving is meant as "speed sensitive". The faster the piston moves, the more it forces the oil to deflect the valve plates. Along with their regularl plates, they have notched plates that are bypass plates. When the tires roll over smaller bumps such as tar strips, lane marker dots etc., they work by bypassing smaller amounts of oil, letting the suspension react quickly so it doesn't transfer that movement to the chassis.(good,bad??) This translates as a better ride over the small stuff, but full control over the rough stuff.
They talk about all the internals of their shocks and the principles aplied to its design.(Cavitation and better heat disapation with the sigle tube design) They can taylor the shocks/coilovers to whatever the customer wants as to lenght, stroke, vehicle weight and spring rate.
My question is about the designs of the shocks/springs, as to which better suits the GT40 for street and/or roadracing. Is what they state a good thing. Does this really give better control?
What are/were the requirements for the cars that are already built, and on the road. I am sure some of you engineers can shed some light on this.

Bill

Bill - it was a good article, and it sounds like monotube
may be a bit better - but of course, it was almost a Bilstein
ad anyway.

As an aside, Tommy Gayer had a nice list of top 10 cars!

Ian

Bill,
Shock absorbers is a hard to explain issue in a forum. I have been writing an article for the Pantera international magazine, that explains a good deal of shock absorbers and their settings. I guess it is possible to order a issue from, http://www.pantera.net/ , without beeing a member in the club. Give them a mail, very nice full collour mag.
My article is supposed to be in the next issue. After reading it I think conversation would be a lot easier.
Regards
Goran Malmberg

Back