Moveable pedal assembly

Studying my pedal assembly today and thinking it might be a good idea to make it adjustable (i.e., be able to slide it forward and back) incase I end up setting it up in a manner that I don't find pleasing down the road.

My initial thought was to have 2 1/4'' aluminum bars (rectangles) cut (unknown length/width yet). Bolt the bars through the floor. Then every, say, 1/2'' or 1'', drill and tap a hole that the pedal assembly bolts into. Then I can move the assembly forward/back 1/2'' or 1'' at a time to get the right fitment for me. (kinda like on a sliding track, except instead of being able to slide around it's a "unbolt and re-bolt into the bar" situation)

THe only downside I can see to this is it would raise the assembly 1/4'' off the floor (don't know if this would feel natural using it), and the assembly would only be held into those bars with 1/4'' of thread (as opposed to through-bolted and nutted into the floor).

ThoughtS?

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
On the Dax I have movable pedals

But the pedals are hung as opposed to floor mount
Mine is a simple slot affair with bolts

I had thought about mounting the whole lot on a set of seat rails where you could adjust in 1/2 inch increments with a lever but decided against it

Ian

Attachments

• 74423-AdjustablePedalset%2Cjpg[1].jpg
    74423-AdjustablePedalset%2Cjpg[1].jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 374
Last edited:

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Personally - I absolutely detest floor mounted pedal systems.

If I were you - I would mount the pedal system as far forward as possible and install one of the newer low profile seat adjuster tracks...

Ironcladfx / trader - please see item number 2 on this link and make the appropriate adjustments. Thanks!!
GT40s.com - FAQ

I have not used a floor mounted set-up yet. What are the drawback of floor mounted pedals? Is it worth changing from a floor mounted system to a hanging system on a new build?

Thanks,

Chris

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter

I have not used a floor mounted set-up yet. What are the drawback of floor mounted pedals? Is it worth changing from a floor mounted system to a hanging system on a new build?

Thanks,

Chris

Outside of the somewhat odd pedal arc when used to a hanging pedal system -
With simple 3-pedal systems, it's not so bad, but most of these cars are complex pedal configurations with balance bars, Exposed Master cylinders, etc.. The problem with the complex pedal systems is debris / dirt that accumulates in the works and eventually causes them to jam up. I can't tell you how many times I've had to try and free up a jammed brake balance bar system because of accumulated crap in the works.. It's particulalry bad on racecars in endurance events.

If the chassis configuration would support the relocation from floor mounted to hanging - I would make that change with no reservations.

Alex,

have a look here -

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/211523-post86.html

It looks a neat solution to the issue, and probablyt the way I will go aswell.

Cheers!

Graham

That's a sexxxxy solution. Gotta add that to the thinking pile.

If I were you - I would mount the pedal system as far forward as possible and install one of the newer low profile seat adjuster tracks...

Ironcladfx / trader - please see item number 2 on this link and make the appropriate adjustments. Thanks!!
GT40s.com - FAQ

Hmm, moveable seats would be another option.

Ahh, so many choices!

*pontificates*

Mmmm, I think the seat tracks is going to end up being a better idea - this way I don't have to account for changes in distance with the hoses that run to the remote fills; plus since I'm using a carb and throttle cable I can't be moving the gas pedal around all the time.

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
I will add the reverse argument as I'm in the process of removing hung pedals for a floor mount Tilton 3 pedal system.

The issue is that in a GT40 hung pedals cannot generally be hung high enough to provide a correct footing. I also find I'm almost working the clutch with my heal and have never felt comfortable in brake control. With seating on the floor the limb angle with outstretched legs is IMHO much more suited to floor mount pedals (as per originals).

I looked at making the pedals adjustable, but decide against it as only I drive the car and I need them as far forward as possible to allow me to slump down a little for headroom. There were pedal adjuster/mounting plates available on Ebay when I looked.

GT40s.com - FAQ

Randy,

Have you opted for a hung system in your GT40? I prefer a hung system and wonder if anyone has got this to work in their RCR without the drawbacks listed by Julian?

Cheers,

Graham.

Alex you can do everything ALMOST from Home Depot or Lowes and you can use an electric actuator or worm gear system to adjust them at the flip of a switch. You only have to build a 4 point pedistal and come up with a low profile track system and use a 200lbs actuator connected to the base of your pedal assy with a U bracket connected to it.
Crude way of doing it. But it should work just fine..

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I seriously considered a hanging pedal system in my car but pretty well gave up on the plan when I determined I would have to compromise the chassis and spare tire well to do so unless I were to use some sort of power assist on the brakes and/or some other sort of leverage multiplier for both brakes and clutch..

Here are some shots of my driver's side footwell area;

IMG_3901.jpg

IMG_3894.jpg

IMG_3890.jpg

---AND---

YES - I relocated my steering shaft upwards to give me a bit more clearance to get my BIG-FOOT to pass through from one side of the column to the other. It didn't buy me much - but enough...

Back