My RCR "DPE-962X" 8500 RPM -1500HP Engine Build *lots of pics*

From what I understand about the Cayenne's, the engine is a POS for maintenance/reliability and hence one of the reasons they depreciate like a rock.

What's the reliability of the Audi 4.2 V8 like?

It could be a good option. It's already being used in the Gumpert Apollo and the Spyker C8. It should be a widely available option given its many different applications and trim levels:

Audi: S4 (B6 & B7), RS4 (B7), S5, RS5, A6 (C6), S6 (C4 & C5), RS6 (C5), A8 (D2, D3 & D4), Q7...

Volkswagen: Touareg, Phaeton...

I'm probably missing some but it should be relatively easy to get ahold of one.

You could pull one out of an old S4 and boost it without breaking the bank. Seems like a good option to me.

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I'd actually like to see Perry get his thread back, as he has already decided on what he is going to use. All these other options would be great in another thread.

Come on Perry, lets see some more pictures.

Regards Brian

I'd actually like to see Perry get his thread back, as he has already decided on what he is going to use. All these other options would be great in another thread.

Come on Perry, lets see some more pictures.

Regards Brian

Hey Brian,

I will be machining the block in a few weeks or so. I'll get some more pics posted soon. My main focus right trying to allocate time to go visit Fran over at RCR sometime this month and get the ball rolling. It's so hard for me to get away from my responsibilities here in Chicago. I'm still debating whether to drive or fly out to RCR. The airports are such a PIA. Then I need to rent car, arrive early, wait in lines etc. I'll probably end up driving out there if there is no major snow.

Guy's
Here's some reliable HP CHEAP !!!

It's a 2006 corvette LS2 motor from a car that went to Lingenfelter for their 630hp SC corvette package. The motor had 10,752 miles on it when I removed it and ran perfect. Only about 1500 miles were put on after it came back from Lingenfelter.
I'm willing to let it go as you see it complete for $6500 if anybody wants it here on the forum for a kit car. I was going to put this motor on Ebay in this Spring along with some other goodies. It runs perfect. I don't need to tell anybody that knows what he is looking at that this is a good deal. The motor runs like new.

I saved the LPE original dyno tune for this motor on my laptop as well. I will throw in with the motor so it's plug-n-play and no tuning is needed. Here are some pics of it.

img0143v.jpg

img0141l.jpg

img0139hr.jpg

img0137cw.jpg

img0133mb.jpg

img0132du.jpg

Dusty

GT40s Supporter
6500 for a SC LS2? That's a deal of an engine. Heck it's 6500 bucks just for the charger alone.

I'm reconsidering the regular engines for my own 962. I took a gander and 962and904.com..Mr. Smith's website. He was able to get his own 962 down below the 2000lb mark just using a 993 Carrera motor, the orig 962 was around 1900 pounds, but then it was loaded with even more Ti, Mg and CFRP parts. I suspect if I use a Hartley motor with lightweight Hewland I can beat any of those. I wish I could mount it transversely in an attempt to use a pair of Hayabusa Ti systems and merge them together after the collectors, but the car would probably have to be chain driven with the engine mounted in that fashion.

Anyways I emailed Holeshot and John Hartley to get the final word. I suspect they have some premade headers etc for the Radicals and such many of the motors are mounted in.

Perry,

Interesting build.

I'm running 1,100 HP with a twin-turbocharged, intercooled small-block Chev (25 lbs boost). It's running a TEC II management system, that is also plumbed for active traction control using the hall sensors and hub reluctor wheels from it's Corvette uprights. Even with the engine currently "detuned", I'm running 2.6 second 0-60 times, and 185+ mph. I should be just over 208 MPH when I work some downforce issues.

My chassis is scratch-built tube/tub, and I'm running McLaren Mk8 type (read, Manta Mirage) body panels.

What are you using for a transaxle? I'm running a race-prepped Porsche 930, and it's my reason why I'm currently detuned to about 800 HP.

I'll drop some pics on-line, when I have the time.

One more. See the Gallery, under General photography, CanAm Man for a few others.

GT40s.com - PhotoPlog - View File

Ken,

That's sweet work bro.
Love the attention to detail !!

update:

Guys,

I was planning to head out to Fran's shop in Feb and then the Midwest blizzard hit us.
That set me back as I have some business to tend to that will finance this 962X project.
I will keep ya updated. Dusty's 962 will probably be finished by then and I can go and get a peek at Fran's shop this Spring.

Perry

Best of luck on your build, Perry--and I'll follow it, with a lot of interest!

You've got all the pieces to make one "sweet chariot"......

Ken

Dear Perry,

I have some questions about RCR "DPE-962X" 8500 RPM -1500HP engine. Now, hang on! I might sound like a curmdgeon upon first reading, but rest assured: I am not. These are questions I do not have the answers to.

I have been re-reading the November 2003 issue of "Hot Rod" magazine, in which they describe both the technical specifications and the development of the engine Ford put into their 2004 Ford GT supercar. Here is a link to that article: Ford GT - Aluminum Supercharged 5.4L V-8 - Overview - Hot Rod Magazine

Ford met their performance targets for the Ford GT engine of at least 500 horsepower and 500 pounds-feet of torque.

113_0311_gt_01_z.jpg

Ford GT Engine and Transmission Cutaway

While Ford was reaching those performance goals, they also developed the engine to be as reliable as any of their other motors. That way, they could warranty the engine, just like any other (so says the article).

To meet Ford's own standards of reliability, they tested the Ford GT engine rigorously. According to the article, to make sure that the exhaust headers would not crack, Ford put the engine on a dynamometer and ran it, under full load, and at wide open throttle (WOT), for 150 hours straight.

113_0311_gt_29_z.jpg

Ford GT Engine on Dynamometer

To prove that the entire engine was reliable, Ford mounted the engine on a dynamometer and ran it between the engine's point where it produces peak torque and the point where it produces peak horsepower, for 300 hours, straight. The 300-hour test is supposed to simulate 150,000 miles of road use. The Ford GT engines passed those tests.

Could your engine pass those tests?

Would you even want your engine to pass Ford's engine reliability tests?

What standards of engine reliability are you aiming for? What levels of reliability would you accept? Are those two standards different in any way?

Again, I do not know the answers to these questions. I read the article, thought of you, and I ask.

Thanks,

Bassanio et Portia.

Keith

That is a good question and very well framed. The Ford testing program info is also very interesting and I well remember that their testing regime for con rods for example, was to run them under load for 1,000,000 cycles (sounds a lot but really isn't) at which point they considered the design and construction to have "infinite life" in road use terms.

All OEM manufaturers have a specific table of tests to establish their engines as street ready...GED being one of them..Global Engine Durability...

Many of the tests were run by hand but over the last few years they have become more automated for better accuracy/repeatability...

The amount of testing done to establish a good engine calibration is staggering too...

I know of one very recent engine, still available in a flagship car that failed GED but was still put into production as nobody would ever be able to replicate the test parameters whilst driving the car ...so the engine was deemed "ok" and put into production....

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
That is a good question and very well framed. The Ford testing program info is also very interesting and I well remember that their testing regime for con rods for example, was to run them under load for 1,000,000 cycles (sounds a lot but really isn't) at which point they considered the design and construction to have "infinite life" in road use terms.

I wonder what their (Ford's) definition of a Cycle is?

It seems there are many.

To the FAA - A "cycle" is defined as the following sequence of events: cold start, take off, landing, shut down.

Keith

The statement was from the late '60's and I always took the term cycles to mean revolutions which is why I said it wasn't really much. But you may be right, there may have been a sequence of events in one cycle.

I know of one very recent engine, still available in a flagship car that failed GED but was still put into production as nobody would ever be able to replicate the test parameters whilst driving the car ...so the engine was deemed "ok" and put into production....

Which one? Or is that a no-go...

Back