Never Mind All This Car Nonsense

You got me Nick! Being the Australian version I was breathlessly waiting for the punchline!

white_ensign_closeup.jpg

Keith,

Not really so was I !!!!

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Keith, for those of us colonials who don't know anything (and don't even know what we don't know) could you post a photo of the English flag.....? has it got a dragon on it?

Charlie Farley

Supporter
God how i hate opera.
Such a sterile, anally retentive delivery.
F+++++s cant even sing properly...
All the natural emotion of a pygmy.

Keith

Really? Sorry Jim, but it really was quite funny as the "dragon" on the flag belongs to the Welsh!

Welsh.jpg

I thought it must have been a wheeze as the English flag has been in pretty much every post on this thread!

It was a neat (but obviously unintended) slap!

Gotta stop being a cynic...

:laugh:

Considering so many people around the world claim to hate the 'English', I find it slightly odd that they don't even know our flag to be able to burn it!

You can just imagine a battlefield, flags and banners blowing in the wind and Von Blucher crests the grassy knoll looking for his allies and asks, "Who the F**K are those people over there?"

The Irony is astounding.

Next time we want to invade anywhere, we should leave the Union Flag at home and take the English one. Then when asked "Who done it?" We could simply shrug in an innocent way, scuffing the ground with our shoes and say, "No Idea. Never seen that flag before guv"......:2thumbsup:

Last edited:

Keith

Brilliant Mark! I never thought of that :laugh:

But, presumably before 1707 (The Acts of Union) they knew EXACTLY who we were... and not, it seems, in a nice way.

I'll tell you what else isn't in a nice way: To be considered a racist or an England football fan! :furious:

Mr Young, it has long been considered by many that 'Great Britain' is/was the 52nd State. (Bermuda would appear to be the 51st) however, I would prefer to contemplate the meaning portrayed in this most emotive piece of prose.

If I should die, think only this of me:
That there's some corner of a foreign field
that is forever England.
There shall be
in that rich earth a richer dust concealed;
a dust whom England bore, shaped, made aware,
gave, once, her flowers to love, her ways to roam;
a body of England's breathing English air,
washed by the rivers, blest by suns of home.
And think, this heart, all evil shed away,
a pulse in the eternal mind, no less
gives back somewhere the thoughts by England given;
her sights and sounds; dreams happy as her day;
and laughter, learnt of friends; and gentleness,
in hearts at peace, under an English heaven.

Rupert Brooke Gallipoli 1916

There is no mention of Britain so I assume that people had some awareness of 'Englishness' in WWI.

How's about this for international confusion tactics then! Check out the UNITED KINGDOM'S Olympic Sports Wear for London 2012!

Everyone in the world will be left wondering who the F**K beat them!

Can you imagine the French or the Americans for example, changing the colour of their flags for an international event??? WTF is it all about???

Who on Earth signs off on this SH1T?

Every colour, every stripe in that flag has meaning. Obviously that fact has been lost on those who should know better.

Attachments

• UK Olympic Strip.jpg
    UK Olympic Strip.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 159

Keith

Strewth that's a mess!

Not a 'Stella' effort by any means.

Still what do you expect from the offspring of a scouse crooner? :shifty:

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Speaking of corners of England.... on the North Carolina Outer Banks, there are two cemeteries where UK soldiers from the second World War are buried(I don't know whether they are English, Welsh, Scots, sorry) One is on Ocracoke Island, and one is on Hatteras Island near the Cape Hatteras lighthouse. At least one has a British (not English, sorry) flag over it, the one on Ocracoke. If I get a chance later this summer, I will be down there and get some photos.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Lovely piece of poetry, there, Keith, I am glad you put that in.

I was born in New York City, in the early fifties. I can't say that I have any sentimental attachment to the place, now, though. When I die, if they bury me there, I am going to assume I wasn't good enough to go to heaven. Heaven does not, in my mind, resemble New York.

Speaking of corners of England.... on the North Carolina Outer Banks, there are two cemeteries where UK soldiers from the second World War are buried(I don't know whether they are English, Welsh, Scots, sorry) One is on Ocracoke Island, and one is on Hatteras Island near the Cape Hatteras lighthouse. At least one has a British (not English, sorry) flag over it, the one on Ocracoke. If I get a chance later this summer, I will be down there and get some photos.

Thanks for bringing that to our attention Jim. I certainly never knew about this Cemetary.. Found this info on Wiki:

The island is also home to a British cemetery. During World War II, German submarines sank several British ships including the HMT Bedfordshire, and the bodies of British sailors were washed ashore. They were buried in a cemetery on the island. A lease for the 2,290-square-foot (213 m2) plot, where a British flag flies at all times, was given to the Commonwealth War Graves Commission for as long as the land remained a cemetery, and the small site officially became a British cemetery. The United States Coast Guard station on Ocracoke Island takes care of the property.[7] A memorial ceremony is held each year in May.[8]

It is nice to know they are being looked after and remembered.

Keith

Jim that is really cool info - and I never knew that either and thanks Mark for doing the research. I have made it a point to visit many British & Commonwealth War Graves before I became disabled but I would urge anyone that, far from being 'macabre' or 'celebrating war', these sites are a testament to the committment of previous generations. Many of these people went to war willingly for a cause they believed in - not conscripted or coerced.

With the benefit of hindsight, some would suggest that their sacrifice was in vain and that we should not easily seek war as a solution.

I totally agree, but we cannot address this sacrifice out of context and the spirit, verve and sheer patriotism that drove these people should and must be celebrated, even though in some quarters, it be labelled 'jingoism' by the miserable forces of compromise and weak politics.

War is in the nature of Man. It has always been and I don't see it changing anytime soon. I salute these people who step up to the plate and 'do their duty.'

Jim, in these circumstances it matters not which flag flies above them only that it should not be the perpetrators of their demise. The British flag is one we have saluted and served for many generations.

My point to this thread has always been, as a key component in the structure that makes up 'The United Kingdom', there seems little room for 'The English' as an entity. Rest assured, we are not going to war over this anytime soon, but I would like to celebrate my nationality every now and then without being labelled as a vandal or a racist.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
There was an article on OCTANE last year about Sir Stirling Moss, entitled "The World's Greatest Englishman"... not "World's Greatest Brit" or "World's Greatest UKPerson", but "World's Greatest Englishman".... so the term "Englishman" is not totally dead. Nice that it's a racing driver, albeit a retired one. I for one will try to be more aware of this and describe people from England as Englishmen and Englishwomen. Who, by the way, have the most beautiful complexions and skin of any women I have ever personally met. Must be all that rain and no sunshine. Like a rose, they are.

As to serving in wars, I did not. (I was rejected from the Army due to being nearly blind without glasses- I can't say I complained of it) My father, however, did- he was in his early twenties and enlisted in order to be able to finish college, the day after which he went in and was sent to France. He was wounded, not too seriously, and completed his service a year or two later and was out, the war having ended. I'm certain that he was frightened and had no idea what he was going to experience, but he went where ordered because it was his duty and obligation. War seems inevitable in the human order of things, as much as no one admits to liking it (some do, I think) I think heroism often occurs on a modest scale when someone just does their job in spite of being scared half to death. I'm glad that the British sailors whose bodies were found in North Carolina were given respect and burial instead of being lost at sea. Too many were just lost at sea.

Last edited:
Back