New Introduction to a new Community

Hello everyone here, it seems like this would probably be a good place to start by introducing myself.

My name is John Goss and I'm currently a student at Wyotech in Laramie, Wyoming. (Not necessarily the best place to be for a classic car lover) While I am 18 and don't have any experience with a Gt40 of any kind, I figured the only way I could get closer to owning one would be by joining a forum dedicated to them. I love to build classic cars and used to help/work in a classic auto restoration shop in Southern California. (My original home) For me, classic cars are not just a hobby, they are a way of life.

My current vehicle is a 1974 Mercury Comet GT that I worked on over the course of about 4 months but my true dream car is a GT40 MkII with a 427 Side-Oiler. - Which I will admit is a dream that will probably never come to be haha.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to spending time on these forums and getting to know all of you and perhaps getting some advice should I ever get the chance to build one. (which I hopefully get the chance to start here in school if I ever come across chassis plans or dimensions.)

On a closing note, thank you for having an awesome forum. This place seems to be pretty welcoming and busy.

Welcome to the forum John. I'm sure you will enjoy it here.
Keep following your dream and you CAN get there. Even if you have to begin a small
auto repair business and grow it! Just be determined and don't let any setbacks get in your way. Best of luck!

John,

I couldn't agree more with my friend Jack as to what he said. Heck, you're only 18! By the time you get to be an old goat like me you could have an original GT40 MKII. When I was 18 I drove a 1967 Austin Mini Cooper S and if someone would have told me that one day I'd own a Ford GT 40 (even a non original) I'd have thought him mad. Head up and on straight, dreams kept alive by focus on the task at hand and next thing you know you're at Lemans in your GT40 on a track day. Vroom, Vroom!

John:

Welcome to the forum. Learn all you can at Wyotech then find yourself a mentor who has been doing it for years and watch and learn some more. Being in my late forties I still learn although I have forgotten a lot too. The one thing that you cannot measure in life is Want To. If you want to you can find a way. Can't has never done anything.

Hi John,

Your message reminds me the same situation I lived 25 years ago.

My dreams were American cars since 16 years old the first time I went to the US.

I've been able to purchase my first Corvette when I was 23. I bought 2 others next but the goal was a Cobra. Of course I saw GT40 on French race tracks but for me it was impossible to buy a day that dream car.

The years have passed and in 2009 I've bought my first Cobra replica. The second dream came true ! It was incredible to drive that car in France where Cobra are very rare.

The third dream came in 2012 during Le Mans Classic in July. I drove to Le Mans with my Cobra, have been able to race on the 13 kilometers race track and when I was walking in the GT40 parking .... I said to myself "I'll have one a day in my garage".

The 29 of October 2012... the exact day of my 40 years old (a sign !) I was bringing back my GT40 MKII from London to South of France. As you can read I would never know 5 months ago that this fabulous car will be in my garage since now 1 year.

All my story to tell you that you have time for your dreams to become true and real and you never know what life reserves you...

OliveR

Some pictures of my GT40:

20102013-_DSC4440-2-Sml.jpg

20102013-_DSC4586-2-sml.jpg

GT40 à AéroRétromobile-3.jpg

GT40 à AéroRétromobile-8.jpg

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Welcome John!

Oliver, that is one beautiful 40, I really like the stace and the way the tires fill the wheel wells.

John I can only echo what others have said. I too have wanted a GT40 since I was a small boy. Every move I made was done with that goal in mind and when the opportunity came I took it with both hands - it took me (appropriately) 40 years to work my way to getting the car of my dreams and you could do it too, don't ever give up.

Back