New/Old Transaxle Fabrication Project

I think the TKO is the most economical doner ,But you are stuck with the ratios.
I think if you are making the effort you would be better using gears from someone who has a range.

The biggest issue is length, on a transaxle the pinion is the layshaft.
This saves needed space,the quick change gears are a great idea but they consume space as well.
A 40 has a short arse on it and transaxle length becomes an issue, in a T70 it may not be the same problem but I would work out how much room you have and work it back.

They are a complex project but do able.

I dont think I have seen a transaxle project get finished on this site.
You included Jac, winters coming if it gets cold you have wood.

Jim

Last edited:
At Jacs age its the only wood he is likely to get too.....

At my age you start to realise its easier to stop chasing & let the others catch up! Frans probably got a few decades to go before he realises that though....thats why I suggested on the thread in 'The Racetrack' that he bring one of his creations down under for the proposed GT race @ Highland Park in Cromwell, NZ later this year, he probably needs to get out of the snow drifts & breath some real clean air for a while, all that BS that floats around his W/shop is getting to him.....:)

No kidding....my Dad worked in NZ for a long time and we almost moved there as kids...still ahve not made the trip ...so

You provide the spnsorship and I will bring the cars

Perhaps you should look into it, Tony Quin has built four containers in OZ which hold 4 cars each & was offering the first 16 owners to put their hand up free shipping from OZ to NZ, Look I dont know if your SLC etc would even be eligible, but other than possible production #'s I dont see why not, they run an interesting parity system where your grid position decides your minimum pitstop time, eg if your on the front row your pit stop time is 70 seconds, row two is 65 seconds etc, If you got 4 USA cars in one container you might be able to swing a subsidised deal, Can Am cars managed to do it a couple of times so far, Speak to Jay E, he has ties down our way...

well there is discussion here again...

but from the OP...crickets...

Jac Mac- crickets as in it's so quiet you can hear the crickets. OP gave up on the idea pretty quickly.

holy grail these transaxle projects...

well there is discussion here again...

but from the OP...crickets...

Jac Mac- crickets as in it's so quiet you can hear the crickets. OP gave up on the idea pretty quickly.

holy grail these transaxle projects...

Ahaa, now Im with you.... dont know about the 'holy grail' suggestion & cannot speak for others, but I know in my case since I am only building for my own use there is not much point in having a long running build thread, for others who need inspiration or have run into a stumbling block & looking for ideas/help to complete the venture along with hopes/intentions of doing a production run if it all works out then maybe it helps to keep the project on the radar screen.
The OP's idea still has merit in that the T10 trans still lives on in the Richmond 4 speed & the TEX T101A which has enough alternate ratios to keep most people happy, just the lack of reverse gear with that style of box & McKee configuration requires something like an electric reverse gear or make one of the QC gears so it can be moved backward to mesh with a reverse idler- dog clutched link belt or chain, but like Jim C mentions the dimensions start to stack up.... even the T44 poked its oil pump & rear cover out the back of a MKII & the two early MKI cars that trialled the FE motor

When I say holy grail, just means more in the 'can't believe it hasn't been done'

If you think about it, guys are building cars from scratch, buying metal, aluminum etc... designing suspensions, bodies, etc... You'd think by now we'd have some kind of recipe for a reasonable cost trans that could be put together that could take some power without worrying about dropping the clutch here and there :shocked:.

When you put it behind a v8, it's basically a 10-15k affair at minimum or you settle for one of many compromises.

I like the OP idea, would love to see it succeed if possible.

Hey guys, just saw this and thought it might be worth the read, to be fare the banter between JacMac and Fran was the best part. I see the chap that's started it only has 1post at the start and sounded like it had some real potential. Does any one know if the project is still alive? And has there been a transaxle project (not professional) that has made it to the street/track. I know mine has had a bloody long gestation period,LOL. Cheers Leon

De Lynns original transaxle would be one example ( possibly wouldnt have been short enough to suit the GT40 ) and until it was brought to our attention a couple of years ago, I had seen no mention of it here, The ZFQ was another, its demise was probably brought about by the resurgence in availability of the ZF, plus being put in front of big capacity engines & suffering a few component failures didnt help. Been several posters that indicated a project along the lines of the McKee, but nothing thats looked like making limited production. Seeing Frans latest gestation with arse end out of Camaro-Vette reminded me of a Euro post on another forum where a guy with a P928? had grafted a Jerico onto the 928 rear end, only one step away from a Jerico/9" combo ( dont get excited GT40 guys, were talking motor/gearbox/R&P in that order as per Frans latest offering, probably something to keep in mind for when you stick a Ford in it for some real power & excitement:)...

McKee Transaxle project is alive and well. Interim shift in cars to a tube frame design based on Lotus ( to utilize as much in common with various projects. )

Currently negotiation with Zetec ( maker of KERS systems and electrics ) to add a reverse. ) Road versus Race and rear length are certainly an issue ( it sticks out the back of a GT40 by about 3" using a Tremec 5 speed. )

New development a couple of weeks ago: the release of an Open Source 3D Metal printer ( an xyz table is moved and a Millermatic 140 welds and welds and welds in one spot. )

The main problem with the McKee design is the distance between input and output shafts from the quick change gears, which caused McKee to lean the box to one side and omit reverse.

I dont think I have seen a transaxle project get finished on this site.
You included Jac, winters coming if it gets cold you have wood.

Jim

My flipped g5o mongrel trans has been finished and installed in the car for over ten years Jim. From concept to installation was less than a year, its only because of the interest in my little creation from this site am i going to make a few more. I am not sure its economically viable or if there is enough of a market to tool up for making low volume transaxles. There are quite a few ready made transaxle`s that will hold up to 5/600 hp but what seems to be lacking is something that has the correct ratios and the strength to live behind the big block`s. Never to be under estimated with the extra weight over the driven wheels.

Bob

Having decided that my re-creation of the McKee Transaxle really should have a reverse, I took a moment; and then called CanAM Motorsports, since they had said there were some genuine McKee parts around. After a chat, I was sent the phone numbers of Bob McKee himself; and had a nice technical chat about the transaxle.

It turned out that while the first 50 of the transaxles that McKee produced had no reverse; he produced 3 more at a later time. Variant 1 was an an automatic; and variant 2 was a full 4 speed with reverse. Car & Driver put the car these variants were built for on the cover of December 1969. I got the issue, and there is a picture of what looks exactly like a Lotus Europa chassis, with a whopping big V8 in mid-engine and the variant 1 transaxle out the back.

So, armed with the knowledge of which gearbox allows proper clearance for a return shaft from the quick change gears, I'm finally moving forward again.

Thank you very much, CanAM and Bob McKee

Mark

What Lotus are you building/using? I'm in the process with a Europa with the Buick 3.5 V8. What kind of body are you going to use? Lotus or something else?

Back