New to GTD's, help needed

Hi all

This is my first post on here as I am a complete newbie to GTD's and GT40 replicas so hello everyone. I've ended up here as I've seen a couple of cars that I like the look of but don't really know loads about GT40's and the GTD replicas. The cars I am looking at were both built in the mid 90's and have ford 5l 302 engines.

So here are my initial questions (please excuse me if I ask some stupid questions)

1) Will I fit in one? I am 6ft 2" tall but understand they might be a bit tight for space
2) How reliable are these cars/engines? Are they straight forward to maintain, run and look after?
3) How well rated are the GTD replicas and how close to an original are they?
4) Are there any good references I should read, forum posts I should check out etc?
5) Is there a GTD 40 buyers guide anywhere and what advice would you give to someone going to look at one of these cars for the first time

I think that should do for now :) . I'd really appreciate any help you can offer me and information on these wonderful machines and I hope with your help I can make a purchase with the relevant knowledge I need

Thanks

Trev

Mike Pass

Supporter
Hi Trevor and welcome. To try and answer your questions.....
(1) If you are tall there are some solutions. To gain space you can fit a "Gurney bubble" to the top of the door. At the bottom you can fit a dropped floor which you can get from Mick Sollis at Southern GT. You can fit a seat with a thinner base cushion. Also try fitting in a car yourself. I am sure someone local to you will be able to help.
(2) The cars are generally reliable but need more maintainance than a modern tin box. The engines are reliable if built properly - I change the oil and filters but that's all that's needed enginewise. It helps if you are mechanically able as this will save a lot of money but there is professional help available specific to these cars and good parts avalability and upgrade parts. Frank Catt at Wealden Engineering and Mick Sollis at Southern GT are top notch and a vast reservoir of knowledge and parts for GTDs.
(3) GTDs are well known, popular and a good car with a chunky chassis. They are different to the originals in having a square tube chassis rather than a complex steel monocoque. They are designed as a road car rather than a race car. The original cars are only really suitable for the track and would be a pain in traffic, cammy, no air con etc. not to mention being very very expensive. However GTDs are used a lot in competion (see the GTD club website for extensive info of activities on track. In general terms my view is if it looks like a GT40, sounds like a GT40, goes like a GT40 etc. then it's a GT40 (without the crazy price tag).
(4) For info read everything. Join the Enthusiasts club and go and meet with members who will have a lot of knowledge and experience to share with you and will save you from costly mistakes. Get know your local GT40 owners who have experience in many areas you will be interested in. This forum is a mine of good info with a huge pool of talent instantly available. Use the search engine to root out the info you need.
(5) There is no buyers guide as such because there are a lot of different cars out there and also buyers want different things from their cars. I suggest you write down what you want in the car, what you want to do with it, whether you want to work on it yourself and what you want to spend. Cars are very individual and no two cars are the same with endless variation in manufacturer, body style, chassis, engine spec, gearbox, colour, wheels, brakes etc. etc. This is one of the best things about them because they can be changed and developed into exactly the spec you want.
I have a running GTD and one in build myself and and get endless fun out of driving and fiddling with them. I would recommend that you have air con as on hot days they can get extremely hot. Even on cold days you won't need a heater!
Hope this helps to get you going
Cheers
Mike

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Trev

I would do as uggested here and elsewhere.

Join the club/s and attend a meeting or 2 where you should be able to see GTDs and Tornados in the main but you may also see RCR, KVA, Southern, HiTech, CAV, Roaring 40s, Superformance etc.

If you are interested in GTD in particular ask people who have GTD's that are not for sale - you will them get a very honest answer! The seller may skew his answers to get the sale.

6'2" you will be tight in a GTD but it is possible Tony Hunt is about this height and can get in and drive his - yes he does have a Gurney bubble and needed pedal modifications to get his boats (sorry boots) into the footwell.

I'm 6'3" and went for a DAX that has slightly more internal space but is probably the rarest of GT40 breeds

Which area of the UK are you in and perhaps some "locals" will show you their cars and give pointers

Ian

Wow, thanks guys what a warm welcome and great responses.

Right, it seems it might help if I give you an idea of the sort of thing I am looking for. I want a complete car thats been driven for a while so any potenial gremlins/niggles etc have been sorted. The car will be for road use and possibly the odd hillclimb/trackday.

As for running gear, brakes etc I'd want a car with pretty much standard stuff and then I can tweek and change is as I get to know the car better.

My budget would be around £30-35k max. That I imagine puts a few of the other manufactures of replicas out of the running straight away.

Finally I am from Rugby in Warwickshire and I would welcome a trip to meet a couple of owners to ask a few questions and see an example of a GTD.

Thanks

Trevor

It doesn't have a crossover exhaust system, and it doesn't have a renault 21 turbo gearbox. Neither of these are essential, but personally in this price bracket I would be looking for a car with these "improvements" over a standard car.
The R21T gearbox gives a higher final drive ratio and the crossover exhaust give the "GT40 sound" having said that, both my previous cars had R30's and non crossover zorsts (but they were both considerably cheaper!)
Simon

ps, just my 2p worth

It doesn't have a crossover exhaust system, and it doesn't have a renault 21 turbo gearbox. Neither of these are essential, but personally in this price bracket I would be looking for a car with these "improvements" over a standard car.
The R21T gearbox gives a higher final drive ratio and the crossover exhaust give the "GT40 sound" having said that, both my previous cars had R30's and non crossover zorsts (but they were both considerably cheaper!)
Simon

ps, just my 2p worth

Hi Simon

Any ideas on the cost to change the exhaust system and the gearbox? Would Frank Catt be a good person to talk to about this?

Trev

Trevor,

Frank is the man to talk to. He probably knows of some GTD's for sale.
give him a call on 01323 843 839

Simon

Thanks. I've just sent Frank an email and will hopefully speak to him today. Are there any other parts, modifications etc I should be looking for in any potential car?

Also would you say its better to buy on condition rather than spec and would I perhaps be better off buying a basic car in good condition and changing things to suit as I go?

Trev

Andy Sheldon

Tornado Sports Cars
GT40s Sponsor
Trevor

As you are only down the road give me a call on 01562 820372.

We have a demo car for sale with knock ons and full cross over exhaust.

Thanks

Andy

Thanks for the info Andy, the car looks stunning.

I don't know if this is the correct part of the forum to ask this but what are the differences between a GTD and Tornado?

Trev

Mike Pass

Supporter
Hi Trevor,
The North West group of the Enthusiasts club meet on the first Wednesday of each month at The Dog Inn, Over Peover in Cheshire. Welcome to The Dog Inn and Pub at Over Peover we offer Entertainment and accommodation and bed and breakfast
You will be welcome to join us next Wednesday. The food is good and we usually get a small crowd and some GT40s. We have a range of car makes so you can ask owners what they think without the usual banter about which is "best"!
As there are so many variations and possibilities of spec. even on gearbox and exhaust that a bit of time spent chatting about the possibilities should help you to zero in on what is right for you. It's a bit of a drive from where you are but useful to you and a good night out.
Cheers
Mike

"light blue & orange touch paper and then retire"!... Trevor.. my GTD is for sale with all the above features in dark blue/white Le Mans stripes plus light grey/blue interior.. beautiful. PM me at [email protected] for photos and price. I live in Surrey, so not too far.. Andrew

Back