New Transaxle Option

This is digging up an old thread.

The SCS does exist: https://supercarsystem.com/

It is allegedly being used and cost just over $12k. A ton of stuff is made in China, and it isn't all cheap junk. You get what you pay for. I like how compact it is, but it's only sequential and I think for a potential street car usage that is kinda a turn off.

I have no idea what it takes to bring something like that to production, but I wish them luck.
Yeah, I apologize for a bit of thread necromancy. There's a lot to read and follow up on; especially as people start seeing supply chain start to really un-bind from the Before Covid time.

I'd take parts built out of Taiwan over parts built out of Mainland China any day.

The 'How Streetable is it' will also be important in the next few thousand miles the test types have; it sounded inappropriately loud, which could also be the design choice for the casing casting and casing flex. I wish I could channel the transmission guy at the shop I worked at back in 08. . . That S.o.b. was a savant when it came to transmissions, auto and manual.

The cars here aren't daily drivers generally speaking, and one of the chief complaints about cars like the SLC is how loud they are inside. I don't suppose adding gear whine to the mix would be too big of a deal, lol. Some might even like it. It might be annoying on long trips, but I don't think that's common usage. To each their own, I guess. Might be a good transaxle for the price if they can prove it durable enough for people in non-race markets.

My car has a Porsche G96 6 speed manual. What would the difference be?
Preference for manually skipping gears. I skip gears all the time. First to 3rd, 2nd to 4th. It's better for casual driving IMO. I've only driven sequential a couple times and I found the convenience of pulling a gear paddle fun, but I decided pretty quickly that it's not for a daily drive. I found myself switching right back to automatic mode once I hit traffic. Open acceleration with nobody blocking? Fun. Traffic? Not for me. Again, preference.

It sounds like your describing an automatic with paddle shifters. If so that's different from a true sequential trans (like a motorcycle ). Or was it a paddle shift with a dual clutch. I've driven r8's and an F430 with a dual clutch and they are awesome almost made me feel guilty preferring a standard Transmission (nothing like mastering heel/toe downshifts at speed into a fast corner). That said my car has a composite kevlar clutch and IT IS A PAIN IN THE ASS IN TRAFFIC. So it is about personal preference and that's why we build our cars to our preferences.

Ian

Supporter
I would personally love a sequential trans. I don't see any issue with traffic, Ive been on plenty of bikes in traffic with no problem, if you want to skip a gear just bump it twice, no lift shifts are fantastic and personally, in a car like the SL-C, the wine just makes it that much more of a bada$$ street run race car.

Just my 2cents, but I'm a Buyer because this is what we need, badly! Ive personally been hunting a transaxle quite a bit lately and the options are not ideal.

Last edited:

Ian

Supporter
@Ed Davis I wish, they are still developing their gearbox and not ready for production. The website says that once they hit 10,000 miles tested they will start taking pre orders. Last update was November 8th 2023 and they had just crossed 1000 miles.

Unfortunately it seem it will be a while before we can have one in a car. But this is the type of venture we need to support in our community.

Supercar systems, if you can hear me, we have beta testers here!!! lol

Back