News of the World et seq/hacking mobile phones.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
It's lovely, to see Murdoch and company get what they're about to... a serious royal assreaming. Oh, how they deserve it. Too bad about the dead fellow. I'm sure Rupert is weeping in his beer. Bastard.

What's really going to be entertaining is when they all start falling all over each other to sell out their dead and glorious brethren. There's no honor among thieves. Greatest show on earth, this one.

Where, Oh where is Christine Keeler when you need her????

Apparently she's still alive.

Here's a picture of her at Le Mans in the 60s (based upon the cars on the trailer in the background, can someone figure out which year it is?)

article-1324394-0BC63856000005DC-971_634x503.jpg

From an article in the Daily Mail
Christine Keeler's photo album: Working class beauty releases pictures | Mail Online
(some of the pictures are NSFW)

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
I will say, 1966, those look like a red and white P4s. There was a white P4in 66.

Wait, white P4, blue stripe, #25, 1967.

Last edited:

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
News Flash !!
Ex Director of Public Affairs for the Met now referred to the Police Complaints Commission.
Five officers being investigated.

I am among friends.

The exploits of Christine and Mandy are still fond memories.

Nothing much changes in Blighty, does it?

Clive

Like Carlos, I expect a lot to come out. Jim, you are still caught up in your point of view. I suspect the police were involved only to flush out further information out of bad situations that comes from a free press. So let's see. And it won't stop just with the Murdoch bunch.

Pat

Supporter
Yes, David, quite a big story.

Undoubtedly it will hit the US, in a big way, I hope. These mother f****rs, threw their weight around, intimidated everyone that got in their way, intimidated them in the worst way. Just like here in the US, they can and do ruin peoples life's for short term personal gain.

Jim, we have had it here before. Think back to 1996, when Newt Gingrich was Speaker of the House. On December 21st of that year, a Florida couple, John and Alice Martin, were going Christmas shopping, and "just happened" to have a scanner and tape recorder in the car with them. They claimed to have "accidentally" monitored the cell-phone conversation of Rep. John Boehner, R-Ohio, as he spoke from his car in a conference call with several other key Republicans, including Gingrich. They just "happened" to record it "for history."

I'm sure it's common for people to accidentally intercept and tape private cell phone conversations while going Christmas shopping. Happens to me all the time.

The Martins then turned the tape over to Washington Democrat Jim McDermott, a member of the House Ethics Committee, which was about to rule on Gingrich's ethics violations. McDermott, in turn gave the tape to the New York Times and other newspapers. The New York Times then printed a transcript of the call's participants discussing how Gingrich should respond to the Ethics Committee.

Of course, it's just a "coincidence" that the Martins are active in Florida Democratic politics, just as it was a "coincidence" that they gave the tape to a Democrat on the Ethics Committee instead of the Independent Counsel or the Republican committee chair. Perhaps it was also an "accident" that McDermott gave the information to the press, rather than discussing the tape with his fellow committee members.

Since it is illegal to eavesdrop on cellular phone calls and disseminate the contents, the Martins eventually pleaded guilty and were fined a "whopping" $500 each. However, the court ruled that McDermott's leaking of the call's contents to the press is protected by freedom of speech. Because the recordings were a matter of "important public interest," (how this conversation was a matter of "important public interest" is a bit questionable) the First Amendment trumped the privacy rights of the call's participants.

So we have precident that the fines are small and a politicial leak to the press is protected...

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Veek,

If what you say is true, they should have thrown the book at the Martins. I cant believe they "accedentally" taped the conversation, how did they know who's conversation it was? It sounds to me like they lied about this.

Obviously what they did was illegal and thankfully, they were found guilty and fined. I agree with you that they diserved much more than a slap on the wrist, they should have been thrown in jail!

It sounds to me like the authorities missed an oppertunity to stop this kind of illegal activity.

If they had been prosicuted to the fullest extent, mabye we would not have this illegal phone tapping scandal today.

Veek, just a couple of questions, did they bribe anyone to get Gingritches phone number?

Veek, were the Martins bound by the FCC rules required of someone who is given a licence to broadcast over the peoples airwaves? Because if they were licenced by the FCC, I'm sure you agree, that their licence should have been removed.

Last edited:

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
So we have precident that the fines are small and a politicial leak to the press is protected...
Posted by Veek

Veek, nice try, McDernott, was protected because of the "important public interest", and because he did not illegally obtain the tape.

What the Martins did was wrong, and they were convicted, but very different from a Company doing widespread illegal phone tapping for PROFIT!

Veek, since you just drop in to make statements, but do not say to defend your statement or answer questions, I'll answer them for you.

Veek, did the Martins bribe anyone to get Gingritches phone number..........NO!

Veek, dd the martins have an FCC licence to broadcast in the "peoples airwaves"....NO!

Veek, did the Martins do widespread tapping for PROFIT.........NO!

News Corp licence should be pulled..........YES!

Last edited:

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
A consumate piece of acting and lying by Rebekah Brooks and the Murcdoch Clan.
A total farce that will come back to haunt all of them. Apart from the lies, the only amazing thing from yesterday was the act by Murdochs wife in trying to defend him from getting a pie full of shaving foam thrown at him. I though she was quite valiant - probably trying to justify how much she is going to inherit in the next few years when the old man shuffles out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVBR6HLOftQ

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Graham ,
The same is true of David Cameron. Probably the most disengenuous
lying bastard of a PM we have ever known since Neville Chamberlain.
And..... he uses botox and wears makeup.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Domtoni, here is a book you should read!

Brainless: The Lies and Lunacy of Ann Coulter [Hardcover]

Domtoni, Nice try!

You say this is an American opinion...........NOT!

Domtoni, do you not think you should tell the good folks here that this whack job works for Fox!

Do you really think this is an "American Opinion" or just more lies, spin and cover-up from a News Corp employee!

Last edited:
Back