News of the World et seq/hacking mobile phones.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Domtoni,

I think everyone should know what kind of scumbag you are quoting:

<!-- /sideScroller --><SCRIPT type=text/javascript> var storyStrip = new CBSThumbScroller('storyStrip', {'setArrowClasses': true}); window.addEvent('domready', function() { (function(){ storyStrip.toNextScreen(); }).delay(5000); });</SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT type=text/JavaScript> <!-- var cbsiAd2_100 = { 'SP' : '2', 'POS' : '100', 'REFRESH' : '1' }; cbsiSetupAdDiv("cbsiAd2_100", cbsiAd2_100); cbsiGetDeferredAds(["cbsiAd2_100"]); //--> </SCRIPT><IFRAME style="WIDTH: 0px; HEIGHT: 0px" class=adFrame height=0 marginHeight=0 src="/html/Ads/common/MantaRay4_5Local_cbsnews.html" frameBorder=0 width=0 allowTransparency marginWidth=0 scrolling=no background-color="transparent"></IFRAME>

• Ann Coulter Attacks 9/11 Widows
<!-- missing include -->New York Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton accused commentator Ann Coulter of making a "vicious, mean-spirited attack" on outspoken 9/11 widows whom the television pundit described as "self-obsessed" and enjoying their husbands' deaths.

Coulter writes in a new book, "Godless: The Church of Liberalism," that a group of New Jersey widows whose husbands perished in the World Trade Center act "as if the terrorist attacks happened only to them."

She also wrote, "I've never seen people enjoying their husbands' deaths so much."

Domtoni, you chose a real classy person to quote!

Keith

Well Jim, she's not the only one it seems. On a recent episode of the usually excellent and quite accurate Law & Order series they featured the "Dead Wives Club" (I think that's correct - not sure) a group of millionaire 9/11 widows living it up in New York.

Is this art imitating life, is the series producer being ultra controversial (unlike them) is there some element of truth in it or is it bunk?

When there's a whiff of smoke there is usually a fire of some nature.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Allegedly Murdoch the younger lied in his evidence.
Query over James Murdoch evidence

<!-- END .post-head -->July 22, 2011

Text Size A A A
78 Comments

N0647281311279648234A.jpg
James Murdoch could be asked to clarify his evidence to MPs this week after it was claimed he was mistaken on one point he addressed

James Murdoch could be asked to clarify his evidence to the Commons Culture, Media and Sport Committee, chairman John Whittingdale has said.
His remarks came after claims from two former senior News International staff that the company's chairman had been "mistaken" in Tuesday's hearing, which he attended with his father Rupert.
Mr Murdoch Junior told the committee he was "not aware" of an email suggesting the practice of phone hacking at the News of the World went wider than one rogue reporter.
But in a statement issued on Thursday night, former News of the World editor Colin Myler and ex-News International legal manager Tom Crone said they had informed Mr Murdoch of the email.
Conservative MP Mr Whittingdale said he had not yet seen the statement, but that Mr Murdoch had already agreed to write to the committee on various points he had been unable to immediately address at the hearing.
The MP, who stressed the committee would not be recalled on the matter, said: "I'm sure if the statement suggests there's conflict between what Colin Myler is saying and what he said, we will ask him to answer that as well."
In a statement, James Murdoch later said: "I stand by my statement to the select committee."
The issue hinges on a settlement paid to Professional Footballers' Association chief executive Gordon Taylor in 2008, worth a reported £700,000, after he brought a damages claim against the News of the World. At the committee hearing, Tom Watson MP asked James Murdoch: "When you signed off the Taylor payment, did you see or were you made aware of the full Neville e-mail, the transcript of the hacked voicemail messages?"
He replied: "No, I was not aware of that at the time." He went on to say: "There was every reason to settle the case, given the likelihood of losing the case and given the damages - we had received counsel - that would be levied."
In their statement, Mr Myler and Mr Crone said: "Just by way of clarification relating to Tuesday's CMS Select Committee hearing, we would like to point out that James Murdoch's recollection of what he was told when agreeing to settle the Gordon Taylor litigation was mistaken. In fact, we did inform him of the 'for Neville' email which had been produced to us by Gordon Taylor's lawyers

Pat

Supporter
Posted by Veek

Veek, since you just drop in to make statements, but do not say to defend your statement or answer questions, I'll answer them for you.

Jim, the case of the Martin's is one that speaks for itself, no need to defend the post. So please don't answer anything for me. Everything I write should be considered only on it's merit and nothing more. You are certainly free to research (and I hope you do) any topic I discuss on your own and come to your own conclusion. What you're at it, look at the contemporary treatment of Linda Tripp (who taped a conversation with Bill Clinton's paramour, Monica Lewinski). Compare her treatment to the Martins.
What the Martins did was phone hacking and illegal. They were punished. If laws were violated in Europe and elsewhere those offenders should be prosecuted accordingly.
I find it interesting that Julian Assange hacking activity is celebrated on the left as heroic (even though his site violated what French Industrial Minister Eric Besson said was "the secrecy of diplomatic relations and endangers people") while News of the World hacking is being used to champion the suppression of conservative media. What's next, using the scandal as an excuse to burn books and put members of News Corp, their conservative viewers and shareholders in "reeducation camps"? I'd just personally like to see all those that broke the laws treated consistenly as the statutes provide. Given what I've read in other tabloids, I don't think this practice was limited to one institution. But then as in the case of John Edwards, the tabloids sometimes are the only ones to get it right.

I tend to drop in more frequently as the vitriol diminishes. So it looks like it will be a while before I return.

Back