now i will be banned..:)

hihihi..i have a question (do not kill me...plz)
Did anybody of u ever think to use a different engine for gt40?.
I mean..with that body can be interesting to see what can be done with today units as Audi 1.8 turbo or BMW m3 engine.
The ford 302 seems really big as engine and i always think u all use that to keep the replica more closer to the original car.
But..(also just to think at that) can be an idea to use something terribly HARD as engines coming from M5(v8s) cars or....a ferrari Engine(even v8s or V12s..). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I ask u this cause i know some guys here in italy using a Ferrari 308 Tuned engine in a Lada NIVA off road.
Not a joke..look here:
http://www.lada.it/racing/racing.htm

Paul /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

ONLY THIS, NO OTHER /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Attachments

• 52331-ViperV10.jpg
    52331-ViperV10.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 349

Rune

Supporter
If I'm not wrong , there is both rover and cosworth engines in the gt40. The 2ltr. cosworth is easy handling 350 hp without having a short life. I must have this engine in my mind if(when) build a gt40

i love your answers guys /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I was just suggesting some ideas.I am the very first considering the GT40 just only with a Ford 302 engine.(I refused here a GTD nice in look with the rover 3.5 engine...if i should choose a motor differend from original ford unit i will surely choose something Italian as the Alfa Romeo Units,always too exciting to drive, as Hawk cars do in their kits,or even better a Ferrari V8 mainly for the terrific sound:))HOW ABOUT A DIESEL engine as the one in new BMW 535 featuring 272 HP and really cheap in drinking fuel
I know this does not matter at all with a special car as this one...but how many miles are u able to do with full fuel tank with your 40?

Just asking 2 u my friends.
When my one will arrive i want that with old Ford,making my 2kmts with a liter fuel..ehehe, and probably will place the gt40 in my living room,inside my house (I can do that..really..LOL)

Paul /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Ok so it is said it should be Ford

Attwell started the replica and the first one had a Ford 4 cylinder engine (I believe XR3 Turbo) To some not being 8 cylinber is incorrect.

And yes there are Rover engines in some But Ford bought Landrover and so the 3.9l V8 is now part of the Ford stable

Oh yes Ford also owns a chunk of Mazda so could a Rotary engined 40 not also be construed as a Ford? Chipped RX7 Bi Turbo figures of 0ver 1000hp and 19000 rpm were possible

All are engineering challenges and would make their owners happy

Hey at one time I even thought about putting together a really light chassis with bike power! That I agree would be wrong -fun but wrong!

So really what is correct?- it all depends on your perspective and budget - I'd love an original but my finances wouldn't - I'm happy with what I purchased and things may change in the future anyway.Battery power zero emission or a hydrogen cell?

Ian

IMHO two things are essential...the GT40 shape...and the
GT40 sound. So it pretty much has to be a V8 with
crossover exhaust....or else it's not truly a GT40.

MikeD

Rune

Supporter
I'm agree with Mike , You can do alot with a gt40 but then it is not the gt40 most people know. there is some rules to stay with, and thats the shape and the engine(sound).
But here in Norway the sound of a v8 can cost me more than £20Kin extra taxes so I might have to look for a cosworth as the most potent engine in the 2ltr class
Rune

Keith

Well now, if you want to stay corporate and simple, I seem to remember 2 litre turbo'd Pinto stock blocks turning out over 700hp in IMSA racing not too many years ago....

Damn, but that was a strong motor. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Rune

Supporter
Agree with You there . But if You want to overhaul the engine from time to time it's ok People here in Norway say that if You keep a Cosworth under 350hp it last as long as the car with normal maint.

Ian,
Hate to disappoint, but I think you'll find the 3.9 is no longer part of the family. It has been replced by the V8 that can now be seen in the Jags, LR3, Range Rover facelift and soon to Range Rover Sport. So there could be an option there... S-Type R engine anyone???

Brett

Keith

Since we're leaning towards the corporate and V8 to boot.....

Attachments

• 52396-AJV8.jpg
    52396-AJV8.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 312

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Paul,

There was a gentleman on here from Santiago, Chile who was looking at various drive train options since American V8 lumps are fairly rare down there. I see he hasn't posted since last summer, so I hope he is building a car now.

Javier is a heck of a nice guy; he gave me the cooks tour of Santiago when I was down there on business a couple of years ago. I got to see much of Santiago, including the automotive retail/repair district, that most tourists wouldn't ever see, I am sure.

Anyway, the answer is yes other power has been considered and used before. The Rover V8 is probably the most used non-Ford power plant over the years that I am aware of.

Regards,
Lynn

Keith,
Ford sells those awesome chrome cam covers in their 2005 Racing Catalog you could glue on that fine jag motor. The average consumer would never know. Only your plastic surgeon would know for sure! G

I heartily agree with Tommy on the V8...gotta have that sound.
I recently saw a replice Lambo with a Buick 3.8 supercharged V-6 ( I think fom a Le Sabre) and this engine with a smaller pulley on the supercharger to increase boost was making well over 300 hp in stock trim, the throttle response was immediate and in a 2500 lb car was a nice package.
Phil

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
It depends on where you live...in the USA, SBF engines are so easily available and cheap, plus the go-fast bits for them are easily available and cheap, and most GT40-type cars are built for them, that those motors make the most sense. Elsewhere, as he said, SBFs are a lot harder to find, so you run what you can find locally. After all, most of us aren't rich (and most of the ones that are haven't built a GT40 yet, which puts a hole in your pocket to say the least) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Back