NRG quick release part numbers

For those who have upgraded to the NRG quick release system, can you confirm for me which quick release part number you went with? I'm trying to make sure I order the right pattern for the wheel that came with the kit (I am assuming it uses the standard Grant 5 bolt pattern). The NRG site only shows them carrying a 6 bolt release adapter but the interwebz also show that they make a 5 bolt version as well. I'm wondering why the NRG site doesn't show this 5 bolt pattern at all. Or did folks just get a 6 to 5 bolt converter?

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
Easier to just ditch the crappy $15 steering wheel that came with the kit and buy a 6 bolt steering wheel.

Thanks guys - I came across the earlier link before but the info seemed outdated for my specific rack.

If anyone has info or a part number for the tilt handle on the newer racks that could be helpful to include in the wiki.

I can tilt my rack but as hard as I push and pull, I can't seem to make it telescope. Is there another release somewhere for the telescope function that I'm not seeing?

Ken Roberts

Supporter
Cam, the newer steering column (Intrigue) does not telescope.

Pete's advice was spot on. Dump the cheap steering wheel and upgrade to a Sparco, Momo, NRG or OMP. I started with a 330mm wheel than changed to a 350mm. Most of us get a flat bottomed wheel. My instrument cluster is rather large so the 350mm wheel was better suited for me.

I'd sell you my Sparco 330mm Ring wheel if your interested. It's brand new. $175 shipped

Last edited:
Thank you Ken - thought I was missing something! Appreciate the advice on tossing the wheel. It was one of those items I figured I would just live with during phase 1 and 2 of my build. If it really bothered me I would change it in phase 3, when I do a teardown and rebuild of the car to fix all the original build mistakes ;). I'll pull it out of the box and hold it for a few minutes imagining the drive, see if I feel it needs a change now. I suppose changing now would save me the few bucks on an adapter that would eventually get tossed. Just hate to not give it a try at least since it's already paid for =p

BTW - I grew up in Winnipeg, parents still live there in fact. I've been flying them down to me for visits because the winters are too cold for my bones, if I ever make it back up there I'll be sure to give you a visit!

Will - in the wiki, under the "steering wheel offset" section the verbiage suggests that both the older and most recent columns both tilt and telescope.

Ken Roberts

Supporter
The ice racers or autocrossers on a budget will scoop up your "Grant" wheel quickly if you list it on Kijiji or Craigslist. Mine sold quickly for about $40.

Stop by when you're in town. I have the factory service manual for the Intrigue column. I cutout the steering column pages and threw away the rest. I don't use the Intrigue column myself. I have the XLR column for my SLC and I purchased a new (old stock) one for my next car.

Last edited:
T
Will - in the wiki, under the "steering wheel offset" section the verbiage suggests that both the older and most recent columns both tilt and telescope.

Thanks- I fixed that. Elsewhere it did say the column didn't telescope, but the offset section said it did- so it was confusing (and wrong in the offset section).

Did you see the link to the NRG adapter you asked about?

On a related topic, the older builders may not be aware that there has been a running change in steering wheels from the previous minimal one to a new one from Driven wheels. The new ones definitely aren't $15 wheels!

I like my SLC's $15 ebay steering wheel :(

If you're going to get rid of the stock one at least be a real man and build your own steering wheel.

917_Wheel_zpst3igayoq.jpg

Thanks- I fixed that. Elsewhere it did say the column didn't telescope, but the offset section said it did- so it was confusing (and wrong in the offset section).

Did you see the link to the NRG adapter you asked about?

On a related topic, the older builders may not be aware that there has been a running change in steering wheels from the previous minimal one to a new one from Driven wheels. The new ones definitely aren't $15 wheels!

Will - the link for the NRG adapter seems to be broken on the wiki page.

Not sure if I have the right model but the new driven wheels look something like this:

Flat Steering Wheel - Driven Steering Wheels

Michael Fling

Supporter
For those who have upgraded to the NRG quick release system, can you confirm for me which quick release part number you went with? I'm trying to make sure I order the right pattern for the wheel that came with the kit (I am assuming it uses the standard Grant 5 bolt pattern). The NRG site only shows them carrying a 6 bolt release adapter but the interwebz also show that they make a 5 bolt version as well. I'm wondering why the NRG site doesn't show this 5 bolt pattern at all. Or did folks just get a 6 to 5 bolt converter?

Chevrolet 2006-2013 NRG-SHORT-HUB-177H 1 114.99
Corvette NRG Steering
Wheel Short Hub
(SRK-177H)

NRG Steering Wheel Quick NRG-QR1-SRK-200BK 1 99.99
Release Kit (Gen.2,
Black/Titanium Style,
SRK-200BK)

From www.racinglab.com

Ken is correct - I need the 177H as I have the intrigue steering column.

I also went out and confirmed the steering wheel I have isnsgat I've linked to on the Dricrnnwebsite. Unfortunately my phone died and I couldn't take a photo of it to post. The steering wheel doesn't really feel all that bad actually. I have a great fondness for my S5's flat bottom leather steering wheel and that's the benchmark for me. The Driven wheel doesn't feel quite right in my hands but that may just take getting used to. Never owned a car with a suede wheel before so not sure how much I'll like that. The thing that will really drive me nuts is the wheel isn't perfectly symmetrical. The red stripe at the top of the wheel is slightly offset to the right and is twisted from front to back. the left edge of the red stripe is just off of center ... so technically it's in the center but you can sense it every time you look at the wheel. Subtle, but it's there.

Mark - does your column have the electric motors for tilt and telescope? If yes then you likely have the XLR column which uses the 177H hub.

Ken Roberts

Supporter
Mark the mating male and female splines have a unique pattern. One of the splines is thicker than the rest. Note at what position this unque spline is and then turn the NRG adapter to the same position before trying to push on.

My column has manual tilt, with no telescope. The NRG piece will not even start on the shaft of the column to get near the spline section of the shaft.

Back