NYS registration ?

550spydr said:
Hey,my dad lives in Phoenix! Hmmm...What if...

Eric Johnson
NY

Eric, Arizona law enforcement has the progressive (and correct) attitude that a replica must have identifying numbers and descriptors that will associate it with a car it most closely resembles. IOW, if my GT40 was stolen, or involved in an accident, if the paper says 2007 Custom, what the heck is that? But if it were described as a '66 Ford GT40, that would be easily recognizable. May I suggest that your Dad buy the car, register and drive it just to check and make sure it's safe for his beloved son, then since he's a really nice guy, gift , I mean give it to you. It would be nice to drive around New York with colorful Arizona plates or re-register it with Historic NY plates:D

And on the note of correct attitude towards replica registration, check out

http://www.semasan.com/main/main.aspx?id=61920

I've sent the requests to my legislators in NY.

Howard Jones

Supporter
A bit of advice on all of this. First, Calif isn't as bad as it seams. The system will work and you will get it registered. BUT you MUST follow the system. This includes being 1st in line, ready with all the paperwork completed correctly, on the 1st working day of the year at about 5am in the morning. The thing to remember is find out how to do it legally and follow the rules. If you run into a DMV person who isn't up to speed. Pick up all your stuff and comeback another day. Under no circumstances argue with them. Say thank you I have to go now Ill be back later and leave.

The one thing that I have considered as an alternative for the next car.....is compete it ship it to a state that has easy registration and get it done legal there. Then ship it back here and do a transfer. This might require the car waiting for some time between registrations but it all a waiting game anyway.

Kind of like having your first child or getting married for the first time. Maybe reporting for duty after getting drafted. Having completed all of these I can say with some confidence that if you do what you are told all will be OK.The bad part is the uncertainty. It in the end it will be OK, go for it.

Sounds like a good idea,but my dad would not be too keen on the idea, as he thinks I should not get a car but invest the cash instead....He drives a Geo tracker.Haha.

I think I will do it the proper way for NY.Sounds like it will be a bit of a hassle ,but will work out in the long run.

Eric

ERIC:

Clinton Corners has some lovely country back roads. The run up 82 to Pine Plains and over to Millerton, on to Lakeville, then south to Sharon, back over to Amenia and then on over to Clinton Corners is one of my favorite "around the block" drives. Just about perfect for a two passenger open conveyance... and, along the way some lovely old country inns to stop and enjoy a brief refreshment before pressing on.

Tell your father that there is little joy in having your money sit in a bank letting someone else play with it. Invest in your passion.

Jim

Gregg

Gregg
Lifetime Supporter
Eric, I know what you mean regarding Snakepit. I was not comfortable dealing with him as well. Maybe not a bad guy, but I had my reservations.

Rick, I understand your point but I believe that most superformance GT's are being delivered turn key. If that is the case, I don't see the problem of delegating all the paperwork to the selling dealer. The only two invoices the dealer should need from you is engine and gearbox. It appears that most gearboxes are coming from RBT. As such, only one invoice would be necessary. The purchaser still would have to sign all the documents, but I don't see a problem with the dealer doing the legwork to get the car registered. The car is costing you a substantial amount of money and does not really come in component form. As far as the dealer "not being too keen on the idea" too bad. The price of doing business. Especially in New York.

JCoop I'm still waiting for my meatball sub.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Gregg,

Turn key in a manner. The engine/trans/install must be billed from a third party to allow the "component vehicle" status. The MSO will have been signed over to the purchaser by the dealer. Yes, the dealer can, in some states, procure the registration. In others only the MSO (MCO, COV, whatever you wish to call it) can be surrendered to the DMV by the listed assignee (buyer).

I am sure there is a means to make everybody happy and comfortable in the selling/building/titleing process....what it is, I don't know!

Rick

Back