Oil pump drive on a 302 with coil packs

Hi everyone,

Need some help, I'm building a 347 stroker unit that I want to run on coil packs. This has the advantage of dispensing with the distributor, the down side to this is finding a way to drive the oil pump. I can of course put the distributor back in and just not use it, but I would rather get rid of it altogether.

Anyone have any ideas? I have seen cam phase sensors at Summit, is this the way to go?

Ian Clark

Supporter
You got it bud. The cam sensor drives the oil pump and provides a signal for EFI computers. Whether or not you're system requires the cam sync signal in combination with the crank trigger is another matter.

Or are you going DIS (distributorless ignition system) on carbs for firewall clearance? Just wondering...

Hi Jon
I'm in the same position and was going to use an old distrubtor cut down to suit.
Later 302 engines in the Ford Explorer/Mercury used a distrubutorless ignition and had a cam angle sensor (part number F7TZ12A362AC) but I was quoted $138 from US Ford dealer last year, so I'm still keeping my options open.

Regards
Andy

Thanks guys,

Andy, someone else said you could cut a distributor down and cap it off. I have not seen it done though. So can you post some pictures if you decide to take a hacksaw to your distributor?

Ian, I am going for full fuel injection with individual throttle bodies and an Emerald ECU. The ECU does not use a cam phase sensor, it works off a crank trigger, so it would be just to drive the oil pump. The advantages of fuel injection are several: fuel economy (!?), driveability, ease of use, emissions, power, ect...

I suppose the ultimate way to sort this would be a dry sump system, bit excessive though!

When I find an old distributor at the right price, I work out how to do it & post pictures.
Your going down the same route as I'm planning, including the Emerald ECU. Emerald specifically as they are only 20 miles from home. IDA Manifold has just been ordered from the US and a set of Jenvey throttle bodies is planned

Regards
Andy

A bit like this then...

Attachments

• DSCN0743a.jpg
    DSCN0743a.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 392
  • AUT_9478a.jpg
    AUT_9478a.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 353

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Jon, I bought a rebuild at the local auto parts store and cut it off just above the collar where the hold down clamps to the block and put a bronze gear on it. I also suggest individual coils if you have the time to make them up. The ones I use came off a motorcycle and can be bought on ebay for about $20 for a set of 4. After a couple modifications they just hang off the plugs. You can wire the harness for the firing order and this does away with all the plugs wires. Got close to 5000 miles on them without a hick up. I use a MSD DIS4 to feed them although I don't think thats necessary. I am trying to upload a jpg of them but its not letting me.

Thanks everyone,

The pictures are very helpful and it now looks like taking a hacksaw to my old distributor is the way to go. Will post some pictures when I get the chance. Thanks for the info Jack.

Andy, can I ask were you ordered your IDA manifold from? Webcon are charging £675+VAT. Is it any cheaper from the States?

Andy,
Thanks for the link. Ordering mine soon.
I am also hoping to get in the garage and attack my distributor later this week and will post some pics here when I get the chance.

Cheers,
Jon

V8 Explorers and Mountaineers used a crank/cam sensor instead of a dist. It is much smaller than a dist and still has the oil pump drive on the bottom. Could be an alternative to the machine work on a standard dist.

Keep up :thumbsup:

Re: Oil pump drive on a 302 with coil packs

<HR style="COLOR: #deedf2; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #deedf2" SIZE=1>Hi Jon
I'm in the same position and was going to use an old distrubtor cut down to suit.
Later 302 engines in the Ford Explorer/Mercury used a distrubutorless ignition and had a cam angle sensor (part number F7TZ12A362AC) but I was quoted $138 from US Ford dealer last year, so I'm still keeping my options open.

Regards
Andy

Back