Original Specification Parts **PICTURES ONLY**DO NOT COMMENT

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Another pair of Windsor C6FE heads. Rather dirty but they appear to be unused.

The chambers are the same but these look like early versions as they are curiously different from my other two pair with no raised bosses for the valve springs, no serial number in the valley and they are also unported showing a bulb in the lower right of the exhaust ports.
They also have slotted solid lifter holes and orange identification paint splashes the same as the earlier 289 Hipo heads.

Excuse the shadow.

Last edited:

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Guys,
The title reads "Do Not Comment" but that was necessary when I re-loaded the new thread to stop Pete's and my photos getting broken up.
I think we about done with parts here so we would appreciate constructive feedback on any of this stuff especially those oddball heads.

I hope to start a new detailed build thread on a monocoque soon.

Last edited:
James,

Could someone have machined the collars off of the valve spring pockets, to allow more room for double springs?

And,..................so you are building five GT40s?

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Gary,
No mate, there is not enough iron left outside the machined flat.
There is no build up of material, and it appears to me that the foundry has used the top half of a standard 289 mould and the bottom half of the 351 type to cast these.

Jac Mac,
Thanks for the PMs - you never cease to amaze me.

Those mono's are not all mine but I'm helping to fit out three of them as original as possible.;)
You forgot to mention the fairylight Porsche plumbing on the wall.
It's a good mates and built to his original 1:4 scale drawings.:)

Last edited:

Doc Watson

Lifetime Supporter
From the racing icons site it shows a set of 'Mirage' 351 cylinder heads...

Ford GT40 Restoration - The Motivation

They were based on the factory 'C6FE' heads but with a dropped combustion chamber and lower valve area for straighter intake and exhaust runners, giving up to 15% flow increase over the GT40 C6FE heads. If you have these then they are VERY rare...... nice find James.

Also found this....

Insights Into The Ford FE

"Ford developed a few aluminum medium-riser heads. (Casting#C6FE-6090-F). These heads are not desirable for use in performance applications because they were part of the GT-40 project. They were DE-TUNED to lower the power output to increase durability for 24 hour races such as LEMANS. The chambers were too big, the ports were too small, and the castings were too thin. Their value was only as a collector item."

The author is discussing these in relation to using them in a cobra.

Last edited:

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Andrew,
The C6FE "A" was not a standard head, and the sets I have are 289 GT40 Race heads without the prototype drops. These are also rare.
They all have the later 351 profiles and volumes in the combustion chambers to "LOWER" compression to facilitate water jacket integrity and longevity for endurance racing.
The valves were also used later on the 351 - Ex 1.875" / Int 1.625" - large for a 289 in these times.
Apart from the springing, there was nothing special about the rockers other than NDT inspection and polishing / peaning of the standard forged design available at the time.

Last edited:

Charlie Farley

Supporter
GT40 Ear Trumpets.

Attachments

• Fuel Spout.jpg
    Fuel Spout.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 496

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Andy,
Do you mean Fuel Sponson funnels ?