Passtimes

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Apart from building 40s what do you guys do to kill time ?

Since my retirement last month I am picking up on a few of my other hobbies.
Right now I am resurrecting my old tools for making bamboo flyrods and fettling left handed guitars.

Here's a couple of unfinished jobs from years ago.

Attachments

• LES PAUL 01.jpg
    LES PAUL 01.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 467
  • PRS.jpg
    PRS.jpg
    253.5 KB · Views: 434
I'm doing the same thing. I'm helping my son build a few guitars. He's built a beautiful Les Paul and a cross between a Les Paul and a Paul Reed Smith. Someday I'll figure out how to post pictures. My other hobby is racing pigeons, and Birmingham Rollers.

For you guitar players out there, here is some interesting info. A female work associate of mine's father recently passed away. He was a guitar player, not professional but played almost every day and most nights for the kids. Bought a 59 Gibson used when she was about 2 years old, that he did most of the playing on. They had it shipped to an apraiser, who said that if in good condition it would fetch about 23K USD, but to not be expecting but around 13K, as that was where most were selling at. These guitars are apraised on their case as well as the guitar. When the apraiser got the guitar he called them back asking if they realized that this guitar hadn't the first scratch on it or its case. He said that he would offer it to his clients starting at 28K.

Bill

Doc Watson

Lifetime Supporter
I've been playing for about 28 years and currently have a blue Ibanez, I also make and fly RC planes..

X-35B VTOL Project

Then there is the dolls house (1/12th scale) which me and my 9 year old daughter are building, and the garage build and renovation of my victorian flat. All that and the 40 and all my time is gone.

Oh I also do a little painting....

Andy

I build custom furniture. I just finished an oak night stand for my new bride. I'm about to finish a matching 6-drawer oak dresser

Bill Musarra, It's amazing the price of old the LP Gibsons these days. I have a friend that's been collecting LP Gibsons for along time. I think he has thirteen of them now. His favorite is the "Gold Top" Les Paul. I lean more to the Fender Strat, like what Hank B. Marvin of the "SHADOWS" plays and has played for years.

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Playing guitar (mostly acoustic, but just got one of Epiphone's Gibson ES335 repro electrics that's a bit of fun).

Fishing of all types, but mostly fly fishing lately. Of course, there's camping usually involved with that.

Just spent the past 2 months relaxing at my retirement home (claimed to be working on it, but it seems that turned out to be a lie????).

Woodworking has always been a hobby of mine, too. Great minds think alike.

As for building 40's, that's how I hope to occupy my retirement.

Doug

Apart from cars?

Chasing my 2 year old daughter round and wondering how i'm gonna cope when number 2 arrives in 18 weeks time....:eek:

Where in the world would the world be without a hobby that has been around a way long time: Guns.

I am not a hunter, I just like shooting at targets. I only own one gun with a scope on it. All my other guns have open sites, and its fun to see how far a person can shoot accurately with open sites. All of my guns are NRA legal.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
My other passions are Thoroughbred race Horses.Fishing and motor bikes.

Attachments

• RIMG0008.jpg
    RIMG0008.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 387
  • boat 001.jpg
    boat 001.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 341
  • vfr5.jpg
    vfr5.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 363
  • DSC_0056.JPG
    DSC_0056.JPG
    21.9 KB · Views: 346

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
Hi all

At various times when I have some spare time I keep my hand in at skydiving, scuba diving, abseiling, and divide the rest by taking my bike out (original CB750 /4 Honda owned since new 1975) and my street rod(1934 Chev 4 door) with the occasional water skiing day.

As far as sleep is concerned there is plenty of time for that when I die.

Dimi

I've been in love with airplanes since I was a little kid. I've been into RC airplanes since I was a teenager. I haven't done much building or flying in the last couple years, and I probably won't until I finish my '40, but I'll always return to and derive satisfaction from building and flying model airplanes.

A couple years ago I bought a couple guns and along with my kids learned how to safely handle and shoot firearms. I now have six handguns, a shotgun, and several rifles in various stages of construction. I especially appreciate the hand-fit-and-finished craftsmanship that is evident in the Smith & Wesson revolvers that were made in the Connecticut River Valley in the 1950s and 1960s. I'm almost done building my first AR-15, and I have a few nice Yugoslavian and Hungarian AK-47 variants that I bought as de-milled parts kits that I'm building into functioning (and legal) semi-automatic rifles. I figured I had to exercise my second amendment rights while they still exist here in Massachusetts.

I enjoy landscaping and home renovation stuff (carpentry, plumbing, wiring, etc.) but as I get older it seems like more of a chore and less of a pastime. I nearly pursued a career in photography until I realized I felt the same way about darkroom work. I used to like to build and mess around with computers until it just got to be too much work keeping up with the technology and I started treating computers like the tools they are. I also enjoyed playing online computer games but I finally realized that all they do is suck time out of your life.

I really enjoy baseball; I help coach my kid's little league team, and I usually watch more Red Sox games than I miss. I'm now one of those baseball nerds that you'll see making notes on a scorecard at a ball game.

There's also cooking, building and programming Lego Mindstorm robots, amateur astronomy and telescope making, and of course reading.

I have retired also, I have always had planes, motorcycles and cars and am now building turnkey 40's. I want to build Cobras and Daytona coupes and I will occasionally work on an interesting Tiger or Pantera. I built a nice workshop at home for these projects and my next car will be a 60/70's Indy or F1 car. I am selling my F Ford and would like to move from SCCA to VARA. I would also like to fly some kind of turbine powered aircraft before I get too old.

Back