Pent Roof Valve Cover Touching Header

I purchased the black pent roof valve covers with integrated wire looms from Roush. I did this primarily for the benefit of being able run the spark plug wires along the side of the covers. I was having difficultly preventing a couple of plug wires touching the headers.
The new pent roof cover on the drivers side of the engine fits fine. There is approximately 3/4" from the nearest header pipe.
However, I cannot install the cover on the passenger side. The rear lower portion of the cover touches one of the header pipes, preventing all six fastening holes from lining up.
If you can picture this in your mind:
You are facing the valve cover on the passenger side.
I loosely screwed one screw on the lower right side of the cover, simply to hold it in place.
I try to move the cover in its proper place, but can not lower the bottom left of the cover to align the hole in the cover where it needs to go to put a fastener in.
I am about 1/8 of an inch from having things line up properly because the bottom left of the cover is hitting one of the exhaust headers.
I'm trying to figure out what my options are.
Can I use a ball-peen hammer and try to put a dent in the header which would give me the clearance I need?
Can I grind away some material on the cover which might give me the clearance I need?
I realize these are bizarre ideas.
Also, assuming some one can advise a satisfactory solution, how much clearance should be between the edge of the cover to the nearest header?
Can some one please help me.
As you can probably tell, I am not very savvy in dealing with these kinds of issues.
Thanks,
Don in Maine

C:\My Documents\Camera Images\2009\0417-GT40 Valve Covers\Cover Touching Header 640x480.jpg

Steve C

Steve
GT40s Supporter
Don,

Is your engine FE or Windsor based?

I have an FE in P2125 (a MK2) with Holman Moody really large FE pent covers and with just a little dimple in the headers where the rear upper edge of the pent covers meet the headers I'm fine (you should be able to see this in my pics in the Superformance forum subject P2125...)...Don't know about a Windsor install as the FE headers and upper crossmember are differeent FE vs Windsor .

Help?

Steve

Don,

Can you post some pics of your valve covers? Are they the FE pent roofs and your are using adaptor plates or are they a Windsor based pent roof that Roush makes? I have the FE pent roofs with adaptors plates on my Windsor, they required a fair amount of modification. Even more so when I made them removable without removing the headers.

John

Back