Pics of the RCR 917

:stunned:I heard one for the first time last July at the historic races at Pacific Raceways, I have never heard anthing like it before. A whole symphony in the engine compartment.

Why settle for a "plain 'ol" 12 cylinder??

Img2008-07-12_0099.jpg

When 16 would do nicely??? :thumbsup:

Fran, you sure you didn't build and ship this chassis over to Germany?? If I'm not totally mistaken, that a 917 bundle of tubes sitting non-descript in the corner?? (totally without identification I might add...)

Img2008-07-12_0087.jpg

Looks nice! :shocked:

Jeff

I remember in the early 90's at PIR (Portland) having my head about three feet from the exhaust pipes of a 917k first thing in the morning on first start up. I'll never forget it (oh, and I still have my hearing). The noise they make at full chat down the straights is something every motorhead needs to hear. I had a few hardcore V8 drag racers with me that weekend and they were like WOW? They still bring it up in conversations today.

Cheers
Dennis

Weren't there a couple of those 16s just recently found and auctioned that had been stolen decades ago? I thought I had seen something about that.

Den - nice. Back in 1990 we were at the Montreal GP and snuck into 3 garages - McLaren being one of them! We were in the Williams garage and I was standing no farther than you were behind the car changing lenses in my camera thinking *They better not start that while I'm changing lenses.* WHAM - that did start it (didn't drop the lens). This was in a garage too. Niiiiiiiiice.

By the way - I got the best picture of Senna I have ever seen and only I have it. He's sitting on a spare engine box with his drivers suit tied around his waist and two engineers standing there with him. He was studying a piece of information - probably telemetry data. I also literally bumped into Berger on the way in...

Anyway, off track. Love the 917 - always have, always will.

Weren't there a couple of those 16s just recently found and auctioned that had been stolen decades ago? I thought I had seen something about that.

they (and I believe they were the 12's) were recovered and returned to the owner, who I believe promptly sold them.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
The owner, Vasek Polak, was deceased.
From Jalopnik?
Auctions, 907, 908, 911, 917, retro: racing, porsche
Vasek Polak's Porsche Engines Recovered, Auctioned For Charity

917k_mill.jpg

How did we not know about this? Famed motor-racing driver, car collector and Porsche dealer Vasek Polak died in a wreck on the autobahn in 1997, leaving his estate to the Vasek and Anna Maria Polak Foundation. In 2000, a team of crack thieves absconded with a stock of NOS and rebuilt Porsche racing motors: four naturally-aspirated Porsche 917K race engines, a NOS 3.0L Porsche 908 mill, one 2.2L Porsche 907 Hillclimb engine, and one 3.4L Porsche 911 race engine. This seems rather dumb to us, as the market for these engines is necessarily a small one. And wha' happen'? They were finally nabbed and the collection returned to the Polak foundation.
On March 25th, just under our Pedro-based noses in El Segundo, the whole kit 'n' kaboodle was auctioned for a mil to Dale Miller of Miller Historic Motorcars. And we didn't know about it! Nobody told us! The money went to cancer research, and we have to say, despite the fact that we didn't make it up the 405 to Segundo, we can't think of a happier ending to a theft. [Thanks to Bret for the tip.] [UPDATE: Here's a story on the theft, recovery and auction from the Daily Breeze.]

Hi Fran,
Thanks for the photo's....luv to see one of these as a finished product.

Guess I'll have to make another trip to Detriot!

Regards,

Kris

Back