Porsche=1, GT40=0

I was driving my SPF MKII from southern Oregon to southern California two days ago. We had just passed over the OR/CA state line and had to stop at the Agriculture Inspection Station. For those who don't know, all vehicles entering California must go through a border crossing of sorts where they ask you to declare any fruits, vegetables or animals in the vehcle. The purpose of this must be to keep the rest of the country's bad things out of California.

As I pull up to the agent/guard, I notice a shiny black Porsche pulling up behind me. We make a quick joke or two with the agent (where would we hide any of that bad stuff in this car?) and then slowly pull away (lots of police looking people around).

We are in the last of the Siskiyou mountains before dropping down into the Shasta basin. I accelerate smoothly from zero to about 65 MPH. In not too much time I see the Porsche coming up next to me in the left lane. It is a Black Turbo - very new. Black wheels and tinted windows, very nice. The driver is on a cell phone. We both start to pick up the pace. Mind you, I have my wife and dog in the car. At around 80 MPH I hold it and let the Porsche drift ahead about 30-50 yards. Then it happens.

POW, I see car parts scatter and a large deer twisting and flipping about 10 feet in the air above the Porsche. I see radiator fluid dumping on the ground. The Porsche slows down quickly in a straight and controlled manner. The deer has already hit the pavement having gone completely over the Porsche. It all happened so quickly. We are by in a flash - I never took my foot of the throttle. My wife says that the windshield to the P-car was not damaged, but the front end is gone. If the Porsche wasn't there, there is a good chance it could have been my hit.

Bad day for the Porsche driver and a worse day for the deer. Thanks to the Porsche for taking the bullet that easily could have been mine. Maybe the thread should be titled "GT40=1 Porsche=0" instead?

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Dang Mike that gives me goosie bumps. I can't stand people to talk on phones while driving, he probably was on the phone with the hair stylist while the deer was crossing.

Wait a minute, I feel for the Porsche guy for sure, BUT, you were in a MKII, correct?? Your on a interstate trip, correct? Where did yo put the dog and the overnight stuff? Did you have them stuffed into the sidebags?? Enquiring minds want to know.....

Bill

Mike: You are very lucky. I have hit more deer in my years living in Michigan than I care to recall. I always seemed to hit the ones I didn't see. Then the cost of the repairs

Too bad it wasn't a front engine car. He could have stuffed it into the engine and cooked it during the ride home like this BMW driver did.

Attachments

• Bmw-an-Deer-3.jpg
    Bmw-an-Deer-3.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 210
  • Bmw-an-Deer-4.jpg
    Bmw-an-Deer-4.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 224
WOW! What a mess...

Yes, it definitely woke me up - I was quite a bit more aware of the signs for deer and the pucker factor was up for the remainder of the trip.

A few months ago I saw some punk kid in a beat-up old civic hit a deer at about 30-40 mph. I saw the deer jump out and get sent spinning like a a punter kicking a football as the car hit him. The deer must have been rotating at 200rpm on its back in the middle of the road and was accompanied with the sound of broken antlers and headlights.

But here's the funny thing... The kid never stopped his car!! he just continued to drive as if nothing happened! I couldnt believe it.

Pete K.

GT40s Supporter
My (not to spectacular) deer story.

Some years ago I was driving home from work on a rural road around 10:30PM ... in my wife's brand new Expedition. I was doin' just a wee bit more than 45 mph.

Out of nowhere out pops a deer but a good distance in front of me. I was able to get the big SUV stopped well before the deer but the darn deer continued to run straight toward the Expedition! Slammed itself into the front of the vehicle, bounced off, ended up on the ground.

It picked itself up and trotted off into the woods on the side of the road.

I figured it was some sort of teenage deer initiation right.

(No damage to the Expedition.)

Back