Porsche G50-01 Solid Gear Change Linkage.

Hi All

I am installing a Porsche G50-01 transaxle in my Roaring Forties GT40. The RF normally has a Audi box fitted, obviously not all of them but the Audi is the gearbox the factory sells as 'standard'. The standard position for the gear change is to the right of the driver in a right hand drive car.

I would like to keep the gear change lever and linkages on the right although
the box I have is probably better suited to a center gear change using a steel rod and cable combination.

Has anyone on here fabricated an entirely solid style of gear change stick and linkage on the right side of a right hand drive car using a Porsche G50-XX and if so what sort of parts are used and what does such a setup look like?

Thanks.

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter
DRB uses this set up which works really well --the shifter is usually on the centre console but can also be used to the right of driver

Attachments

• Picture 192.jpg
    Picture 192.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 1,378
Thanks Chris.

I was not so sure for what ever reason I could do that set up on the right, so thats good news. Chris do you have a all rod setup? I kind of like that idea of just rods and joints and pivots.

Have you considered going to a cable shift actuation instead?

It would make your setup considerably easier, and should improve the overall shift quality as well.

Just a thought,

Erik Johnson

Hi Erik

Yes I have considered cable shift and I think it probably would be an easier solution to set up. My perception rightly or wrongly is that the solid rods, uni-joints and ball joints would give me a very direct very 'solid' feel and this appeals to me somehow.

But I am always ready to listen to all the guys 'most' on here with more experience and better ideas. The idea of being able to take some measurements and send them off to a supplier and then have delivered to me a bolt on gear change is very appealing also. Maybe Erik you can email me with some suggestions.

Last edited:

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter
I use a single rod shifter in the "Lola" for the 930 4 speed -- it works really well although could do with a bit more refinement, especially reverse which needs some careful placement and patience --so, we only use it to back on the trailer:laugh:

Attachments

• Lolas 003 (Small).jpg
    Lolas 003 (Small).jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 1,156
  • rcr lola trans 012 (4) (Small).jpg
    rcr lola trans 012 (4) (Small).jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 1,613
  • 930 hyd. clutch 004 (Small).jpg
    930 hyd. clutch 004 (Small).jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 880
Here's what I use for my 930 box on an LS6 in my tube chassis race car. I basically copied the linkage of a Porsche 962 in how it mates up at the trans with a simple joint/pivot which gives me a better shift feel than an offset "hockey stick" style such as how Flatchat showed. Disregard how my shift lever is pivoted,as the internal shift linkage/rods are very different in my trans than standard( will post info on this project/experiment after testing next week!).
Be mindful of the stock Porsche shift rod travel fore and aft as the distance from neutral to engaged can be quite long for some "racing" shifters designed for Hewlands and their 1/4in travel each way. My 930 was almost 7/8in from N to engaged forward and back due to those big honkin' Porsche style syncros. My Albins dog ring gears by comparison are 1/4in!!

Attachments

• 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 803
  • 930 shifter linkage 002.jpg
    930 shifter linkage 002.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 1,006
  • 930 shifter linkage 004.jpg
    930 shifter linkage 004.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 962
  • 930 shifter linkage 001.jpg
    930 shifter linkage 001.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 3,958
Hello Fred

i'm greg from bailey cars. we have used solid shaft linkages or cable in various applications. for a g50 porsche box i'd recommend a solid shaft.
we have just done a lola spyder replica as well as many 917 porsche replcas with this set up and it works well.
i assume your running the box upside down. have you added an external oil pump?
we have the complete set up in stock that you require, you simply have to mount the rod ends and ensure the shafts are the right length.
let me know if your interested.
[email protected]
www.baileycars.co.za

hi Fred

First of all i think the prerequesit to go with a shifter rod is a pretty solid mounted engine and gearbox. Every soft mounting there will give you less exact shifting. The other thing to think about is routing and vibrations. The more exact you want your shifting action to be the more solid the linkages need to be as well, but the more the transfer any vibration back to the shifter.
I clearly recommend a cable shift set up. Much easier to route with good cables and a good shifting mechanism very exact and solid, but somehow still not solidly coupled to the noise and vibes of the transmission.
I have rund my cable shifted car for the first time last saturday and was very happy with the shifting action. Another advantage of the cable shifted solution is that lever relations can be changed much easier as well to adapt to your shifting action desires ( left to rigth; front to rear action and ways)

TOM

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I can't speak to how well it will ultimately work out with my GT40 on the road as it has not been there yet. But - from my experience with cable shift and other cable operated mechanisms - the absolute best thing you can do is to anchor your cables so the cable doesn't move around. Any movement in the cable jacket between points is wasted movement.. Use Adel clamps to secure your cable housings along their routes..

Back