Porsche Transmission Questions

Lynn,
Don't fret about shipoping expenses. I have sent my 930 back to Ca.(ATL to LAX) twice(long story). I had it weighed at the terminal. Box and crating which was a series of 2x4s with top, front(with a hole for the frontpilot shaft to rest on and 2 carrige bolts to secure it) and bottom cover. Open at the sides and rear. It weighed 185#. I used Forward Air, who deliver city to city(major) but not door to door for $92.46. That's after they installed their fuel surcharge. So don't let that hold you up. When it comes back in a week or so I will post the pics of it. It has to be set up for a forklift.

Bill

1K, wow, thats more than I paid for the tranny. In the end, I think it has cost me about $100, including the new seal and the bearings, not including the time I have spent on it.

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
And you've got the satisfaction of having designed and built it yourself, rather than just forking out the dollars. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

In comparing the G50/50 and G50/52, I have two questions I searched and couldn't find answers for:

It seems the bell housing on the 50/52 is deeper than the 50. If this is true, is the soution to find a 50/50 bell housing, or can the 50/52 bellhousing be modified?

For the nose cover (and the bellhousing), how hard is it to find the shortend cover with mounting holes, since the 50/50's are pretty rare? Do companies like powerhaus make such a thing? Is it expensive?

thanks!
David

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
The G50/52 can have an 1" taken off the bell housing, then clearanced on the inside for the flywheel. In addition, the input shaft must be reduced that same 1". It then matches the G50/50.

Nose piece can be shortened, probably by most Porsche trans builders.

The picture in the previous post shows both, bell housing reduced and nose piece shorten on a G50/52

I looked up a lot of DRB pictures with the G50/52 installed, and it looks like the bellhousing shortening, flywheel clearancing, and input shaft shortening (just removing an inch off the end) could be done pretty inexpensively at a machine shop. Please correct me if I'm wrong. On the nose cone, it looked like a guy had just cut off part of the triangular extension for the doughnut mount, and simply shortened the gear shift selector. Am I reading this correctly? I spoke with Simon H. who did a G50/50 in his RF and he said he had about 3.5" of space between his nose cone and rear clip. Would shortening the nose cone of a G50/52 with the above method create a nose cone with the length of the G50/50 nose cone? I know that the G50/50 nose cone can be fitted to the 52, but I would imagine you'd have as hard a time finding the nose cone as you would finding a G50/50.

Thanks!

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
[ QUOTE ]
On the nose cone, it looked like a guy had just cut off part of the triangular extension for the doughnut mount,.....

[/ QUOTE ]
Correct, but not sure what the situation does for the gear shift selector. It may remain the same or it may need shortening, not sure. My gear shift selector hole was plugged closed due to the side shifter unit.

[ QUOTE ]
Would shortening the nose cone of a G50/52 with the above method create a nose cone with the length of the G50/50 nose cone?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure on this either, but I'll bet it's very close. Not sure where you live but if your in the US you might call Bobby Hart - California Motor Sports 928-855-5755 He would be happy to answer your question.

Chris Duncan

Supporter
"On the nose cone, it looked like a guy had just cut off part of the triangular extension for the doughnut mount, and simply shortened the gear shift selector. ""

There's a seal in the very end of the case and behind that there's a roller slide bearing. So when you hack the back off the case you have to machine the shift shaft bore to two different sizes, for the bearing and the seal. Luckily it's made to do this , whether intentional or not, the bore is smaller behind the oringinal location of the bearing/seal, so all you do is open it up to the bearing/seal size further back. The unmachined bore about 14mm dia ID, the bearing is about 16mm OD and the seal is about 20mm OD. I don't see any real reason to go to side shift unless you have some different clearance issue. Lots of the G50's have been run with rear shift, unless the 50- 50 or the 50 -52 is longer even with the nose hacked off.

This may be of some interest to you guys...
A friend of mine is currently doing a Chevy LS1 conversion on a Porsche Boxster, using the Boxster's stock 6 speed transmission
Think this would work for you guys too. Benefits are that the Boxster is already a midengined car and it is cable shifted. So no need to invert the internals or mount it up-side-down and no d!cking around with the shifter setup...
(worst case, you'll need to get longer cables)

More info on the build/conversion can be found here:
Boxster LS1 Conversion - Spec Boxster

If you want to do a 915 conversion, you should check out Welcome to Windrush Evolutions - WEVO - Porsche Products
They have build an excellent side-shifter conversion for mid-engined use

This may be of some interest to you guys...
A friend of mine is currently doing a Chevy LS1 conversion on a Porsche Boxster, using the Boxster's stock 6 speed transmission
Think this would work for you guys too. Benefits are that the Boxster is already a midengined car and it is cable shifted. So no need to invert the internals or mount it up-side-down and no d!cking around with the shifter setup...
(worst case, you'll need to get longer cables)

More info on the build/conversion can be found here:
Boxster LS1 Conversion - Spec Boxster

If you want to do a 915 conversion, you should check out Welcome to Windrush Evolutions - WEVO - Porsche Products
They have build an excellent side-shifter conversion for mid-engined use

Very interesting, indeed! I think there may be some gearbox problems with the V-8 torque. Please keep us posted.

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter
Heres what we do for the LS1 to Boxster S (G86 / 20) --this installation uses the "normal" LSx starter and flex plate (ring gear) --hence the 40mm thick adapter plate

Attachments

• LS1 G86 20 6 speed 002 (Small).jpg
    LS1 G86 20 6 speed 002 (Small).jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 527
  • LS1 G86 20 6 speed 004 (Small).jpg
    LS1 G86 20 6 speed 004 (Small).jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 754
  • LS1 G86 20 6 speed 013 (Small).jpg
    LS1 G86 20 6 speed 013 (Small).jpg
    45 KB · Views: 519
Chris,

Have you been able to do anything with the Cayman gearbox yet, as far as adaption choices. Just wondering, been awhile, as I have been building hot rods and muscle cars for the past year. Don't ask me why.

Back