R21 Gearbox cooler

Here is my setup for the 930 LSD. I am using a Moroso pump. Trying to decide if the filter I have is too restrictive. I like the reservoir idea, in that I have no way to really tell the level in the trans. I am going to add a vent in the top plug(old drain hole). There are documented cases of the front seals being blown if the pressure/temp climbs too high. It doesn't have to be a sophisticated one like the oil breathers, just a very small hole drilled in the top plug should suffice.

Bill

Picture184.jpg

Picture188.jpg

Had to edit the first post. I had a duplicate pic and it didn't allow me to add another pic, so here is the other side of the trans. I elected to not spay 1st as it isn't used that much.

Bill

Picture186.jpg

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Just thinking out loud here (probably should not)

On the Renault box you undo abung and fill with oil till it drips out the hole.

Put the bung back in and the box is "sealed"

So what would happen if you used the filler hole as the drain - back into a tank / sump and then pumped back from there into the box / diff or wherever. That way (from my understanding) the box would always be full to the correct level

Even if your pump failed you would still also have the correct volume of oil for a slow drive home.

Ian

Howard Jones

Supporter
I have some new data. Yesterday I ran my car at thunderhill in N Cal. The air temp was 102F for the last 3, 15 min sessions. Track temp 135F. Air temp 1 foot above track surface in center of front straight had to be 115F+.

A full run without running pump and starting with a hot box resulted in 190F oil in the box. That's hot but not too hot. Ran the next session about 40 mins later and after 5 laps oil was at 190F again. Ran pump for 2 more laps and oil dropped to 165F.

System works. But unless you have a lot more power, run much longer sessions, or run the car in Saudi Arabia then I don't think it's necessary. Certainly not on a street car.

Oh and as you can see from my pictures, draw oil from box at drain hole and return to either the top of the box over the R&R and 5th or back into the fill hole. Add enough extra oil to fill the lines, filter, pump, and cooler and it will be full all the time

Back