Raiders of the lost ArkMGT

Jim,

Thank you for taking the time to contribute the benefit

of your vast knowledge here, without being condescending.

Abbey,

If you are so knowledgeable, as you suggest, please take

a page from Jim's book. Share your knowledge, if you have

any, otherwise keep your inflated opinions to yourself.

Bill

[ QUOTE ]
There have been entire "original" cars constructed completely out of non original parts or nos original parts. NOTHING remains of the original car.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think 1012 may fall into that category...

[ QUOTE ]
Chris has very carefully stated exactly what his car is. I think it's very special.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this. I still don't know what all the fuss is about. Abbey/Shadow can call it a replica if they like. I will think of it as a "re-creation" of AMGT-2 in its original form and something with a good deal of historical significance. Say what you will about the Tennant chassis - they don't make them any more, so having one (whether you want to consider it a "replica" or a "replacement" or an "original" cahssis) is still something special.

Perhaps it should be called "CM GT-2" (Chris Melia's GT-2) to distinguish it from the original /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Abbey, count me among the people who would like a better history of GT40 chassis production, but leave out the FUD.

Jim (J6): Just so there's no confusion, my little rant was not aimed at you. I just used your comments as a starting point, I think we're in agreement (correct me if I'm wrong), but sometimes things get misconstrued on the web...

Today, at the NEC Classic Car Show, I met a very happy man. He was pleased to tell anyone who wanted to know what the chassis he was proudly standing next to was and how the bodywork in his possesion related to it. He was also willing to tell you what his plans and intentions for the project are.

Whilst I was there I also noticed Mick Walsh of Classic & Sportscar magazine, notebook in hand, paying more than a passing interest.

It was a pleasure to meet you Chris, I hope to do so again, and I still maintain you are a lucky *&$%£").

All the best.

Alex /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Keep on trucking... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You seem to be confusing Mr. Kilowatt there with R. Crumb /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Now that you mention it, there is a certain resemblance...

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Perhaps Abbey was a month behind Chris in the search for the lost ArkMGT? That would explain a fair amount of frustration. No matter what, a great find is a great find and it seems like the car couldn't be in better hands.

As for J6's comments on old race cars, very true in the Porsche world. There are about 2-3 "original" 911 RSR's in the world left. The rest of them have been modified so many times and returned to original spec only after vintage values justified but typically, the bodywork, trim, engine and transmission are long gone. There have been plenty of Carrera RS built around an original spare plastic gas tank (only).

For some incredible restoration documentation, go to http://www.gunnarracing.com/ Some visual layout ideas for Chris. Gunnar even dismantled a 906 with a webcam on at all times. You could smell and feel the onld dirt and grease on your keypad and screen.

Maybe I should take my real 73 RS ducktail and build one around it...

Hershel, give the trolls hell. They ruined more than one good Porsche board and my favorite ML board.

Best, Chuck Ward

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
I couldn't agree more on this....racecars were built as purpose-directed disposable items, which needed to hold together until the finish line, and if really special, to the winner's circle. Originality was a concept that meant nothing in those days, and I suspect means about the same to modern race teams- the idea is to WIN.
Now then, for what it is worth, I have never run across data which show the time spans in which Abbey Panels and Tennant Panels built GT40 tubs. If anyone knew this authoritatively and could cite their references, I would be happy to know it as well.
Chris Melia is an enthusiast and a gentleman and I am delighted to have him as my friend. He has been more than forthcoming about his incredible find, not to mention sharing the news with us and writing it up in such an entertaining way as well. I think we are all richer by far for the experience he has shared with us, and if there were a nomination for GT40 Good Guy of the Year, Chris would seriously be in the running. We've had a few potential nominees for the other end (ahem) of the spectrum, so on a much more cheerful note, here's to the guy who best exemplifies the TOP of the pack- good on you, Chris.
This award would carry a complimentary flat hat, pack of lemon drops, and quart of the motor oil of your choice.

Jim,
Your words are so very true. I have no desire to run anyone from this forum but I will not except any behavior that is not gentlemanly. It is not a hard thing to participate in any forum as long as you conduct yourself in this mannor and respect the other fellows opinion. If you have reason to disagree then that is fine as long as you feel you provide facts to substaintiate your arguement.
I have not met Chris personally but I know him to be a gentleman as to his past behavior on this board and from the words of others who know him.
I have no personal animosity towards Abby or any other newbe who joins our forum. All I ask is that you conduct yourself by the rules set down by the administrator, Ron Earp, and that you be honest and forthright in your posts.

Hersh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hi Chris
You may already have this, but have just finished reading a new book called "Hawkeye" (Paul Hawkins) available here .
It talks about his time with AMGT-2 and the things he got up to. For instance at one stage their cladded the aluminium tub with tin sheets so the inspectors with magnets couldn't pick it was aluminium !!!
Not a bad read.

Clayton

MWGT40

Supporter
Chris was kind enough to let me feel the weight of the front and rear clips whilst at the GTD40 Club AGM and they are incredibly light - so I agree that with a Gurney Weslake engine inside it, this car is going to be very quick.

Congratulations again Chris on this incredible find.

Martin /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Chris has never been anything but straight forward and honest with me. Even though I have never met the man in the flesh, I have no doubt that he is totally transparent: what you see (and hear) is the true man and I have seen no deception in him. I agree with everyone else who has made this statement, "there is no more deserving a person than he to have discovered this relic of our passion."

As to the depreciative remarks about Tennant chassis, I know of no other individual as driven about originality than Lee Holman-- the, as original, $1800.00 aircraft windshield wiper motors, for example, are part of the reason his cars are so expensive. Lee obviously sees Tennant chassis as originals considering that he bought the remaining lot of them for his cars. I know that some of the vintage sanctioning bodies have been criticized about their judgements on what is original, but if they accept Lee's cars as original, that is good enough for me. I know that my opinions carry no weight with anyone else, but they have to support my integrity which is no one's concern except me and my maker. I truly believe that it is with this same level of integrity that Chris has described his wonderful find as accurately as he can based on what is, in his opinion, fact. And I accept that unconditionally.

Chris, while I have no doubt that there is any danger of this, please don't let the comments of someone who is too much of a coward to share his name, and with unknown and, surely, unwholesome motives, interfere with your enjoyment of the fruits of you labor. In the colloquialism of the day, "You Da Man!"

I spent three very educational hours with Chris a few weeks back. This was the first time I had met him, and having spoken with him, seen the Tennant chassis first-hand, as well as the amazing engine, the original wheels, suspension parts, etc, etc, and been given the opportunity to lift the aluminium panels, I came back a much wiser man. The purpose of my visit was to buy Chris's MK III (as well as a set of MK I panels, lights, fittings, crossover exhaust etc). Before we shook hands, with my cheque book at the ready, Chris offered to fit everything to MK I spec and paint the car "at cost". I don't know many people who would have done that.

Having seen the work that Chris has put into his MK III over the past years, I consider myself very lucky to inherit it. His new project will be more work than I could contemplate. However, with Chris's know how, it will make an incredible car.

Chris's feet are firmly on the ground. He said to me "I'm not getting carried away with it - it's only a car". When it's finally returned to Alan Mann colours, my feeling is - what a car! And who better to built it.

The very best of luck Chris.

Rob
"Life begins at 40"

Back