Rain track setup

Agree with Russ wholeheartedly - you can improve the wet braking v. dry by moving the bias towards the rear due to much less weight transfer to the front in wet conditions.

The few times I have run track days in the wet it quickly became apparent to me that a) as has been said already, visibility is critical (Rain-X is great as is a good fan/vent for the inside of the screen, and b) running a smooth line without major puddles makes all the difference. Surprisingly, if these two factors alone are considered and managed effectively that will put you out ahead of 80% of the other cars. And, ditto on getting out ahead in the wet - not looking through someone else's spray is much faster and a whole bunch safer!

Wet racing is fun in my experience because it tends to elevate driver skill in the hierarchy of factors - power becomes less important.

Malcolm

Supporter
If you have adjustable sway bars, don't just go straight to the full soft/disconnect option, move there slowly a bit at a time so you learn what adjustments do what. If really really wet then you may need more softening than just a little wet. If you catch my drift!

Malcolm

Supporter
Oh, and KEEP OFF THE WHITE LINES (and painted curbs) at trackside, they will sooooo slippery! If you do spin and you have space, go for a 360 and then post us the video!

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Have all your lights on ALL the time - including Fog light if you have one

It may be the light someone else sees in the mist and rain and spray.

Take a can of WD40 or similar in case the water gets into the electrics

Try and seal between door and chassis at front of the door - something like spnge foam rubber It will stop a lot of water getting into the cockpit

Oh yes buy yourself an new wiper blade - when was the last time it actually wiped the screen?

Ian

**** And fit a seperate switch to you brake lights so that when your being chased by someone like Russ ---who will undoubtedly be using your brake lights as a brake marker-- you can use the switch to activate the brake lights a second or so after you apply your brakes, then you have the additional satisfaction of watching his superior driving skills as he passes you--backwards.

Howard Jones

Supporter
10am this morning. Total rain out. Complete cancellation. Biggest storm in 2-3 years. Rained 4 inches in about 8 hours over night. Air temps at 47F. Winds at approximately 40-50 knots. Damage to track outbuildings, complete power outage.

My Audi was surfing on the freeway, with visibility down to feet, on the way home!

Ron, what was that you said about if you don't need to go out in the rain then don't?

Anyway this is a good thread for the Winter. I have certainly learned a lot.

Thanks guys.

**** And fit a seperate switch to you brake lights so that when your being chased by someone like Russ ---who will undoubtedly be using your brake lights as a brake marker-- you can use the switch to activate the brake lights a second or so after you apply your brakes, then you have the additional satisfaction of watching his superior driving skills as he passes you--backwards.

Oh thats just not right. <LOL>

I did the same on my 914V8 when I built it, mainly for traffic cop avoidance - hit the brakes hard with no nose dive and no brake lights - got me out of more than one ticket I'm sure! I also used it to good effect on my friend while driving an unfamiliar road, his poor BOSS 302 Mustang never stood a chance. <tick, tisk>

Jac you are one bad apple.

Look on the bright side Howard......at least you didnt come back with a nasty cold from exposure!

Mesa,

I had a stop light cut off switch on my high school ride, although it was intended for other uses.

My ride I had in high school was a Moss Green 1965 Mustang Notchback with a 289/271 K engine, 4 speed, Crane cam, headers, & head work by Chet McFallo, with 4.57 gears. The bright yellow painted grill was set off by inboard driving lights like inboard '67 Shelby style, and I installed an on/off switch inline to the stop light switch.

This stop light switch came in mighty handy on several occassions when the police were on my tail. Just a flick of the stop light cut off switch, shut off all the lights, and run with the driving lights only. Worked for me. Suprised a few guys that were on my ass a few times......they later said they could never figure out how I could go through corners that fast without slowing down........!!!!!!!

This could be a thread in the making for "my first car" and/or "what I got away with and didn't have to pay the price".

Strikes me that there are more than a few 'bad apples' in this orchard- the s***'s gonna hit the fan shortly though as I knew Russ was going out to Ruapuna this afternoon, should be back anytime now!!!:)

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Strikes me that there are more than a few 'bad apples' in this orchard- :)

Takes one to know one Jac Mac!

Decided to flag Ruapuna today. Put the screen in Lims second spider instead and took the stuffed diff side bearings out of the 930. If anyone wants to know, a long bell 930 diff housing will fit completely in a standard domestic oven without having to remove the studs! Just.

Ruapuna tomorrow for me. Normally I'd work on the car instead, but there's a good F5000 field so I'm going to go out there and catch up with some of the guys. Looks like it's going to be a scorcher. Not like at Howard's where he has been rained out. Sorry about the thread drift but since its all over rover for Howard, I don't think it matters.

Cheers,

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I've kept a little distance from this thread but will offer only a few things that I both teach and practice;

Wet racing -
Absolutely no trail-braking. Threshold braking only.
The preferred line on a wet track is not the same as the preferred line on a dry track. Keeping the car in the marbles in the wet has given me more wins than has driving the dry line.
Patience and absolute focus.
Pay attention to the flaggers as they will let you know when to check your mirrors.
Make certain that you are as prepared for the race as your car.

Back