RCR 917 first roll out

Hi
this is to report about the successfull first roll out of a RCR 917 in Hockenheim yesterday.
THe car has been delivered to the customer at a Club event in Hockenheim by RCR EUROPE.

It was a first timer in multiple way
  • the car has never been driven before ( except in and out of my workshop)
  • the new owner has never seen the car before in full completed stage
  • the preliminary measurements of seating position have never been tested by the new owner before
to make a long story short. The roll out was highly successful.
  • seating position fitted within the adjusting range of seats and pedal box
  • car went flawless, no leak at all, power right where it should be
  • the owner was very happy with the balance of the car, it steered right there where he wanted, developed good bite on the rear. After readjusting the shock settings also the dampening behaviour was very satisfying. So i was pretty good with my initial suspension set up
  • only we where to silent :drunk:
Car drew a lot of attention. Seeing it sitting and running in the enviroment it was made for was someting. THe stance and original dimension lead to a lot of suspicious questions. The build quality let most people guess a price in the over 250.000 Euro region.

here some impressions

the beast in his cage before let out to his natural environment
P1040817.jpg

P1040821.jpg

adjusting drivers seatbelts
P1040824.jpg

this one just before the first roll out
P1040825-1.jpg

on the way to the first lap
P1040828.jpg

P1040829.jpg

P1040832.jpg

not something you see every day
P1040833.jpg

first lap successfully completed
P1040834.jpg

and the next one also
P1040837.jpg

coming back into the pits for first driver feedback, after that i readjusted front shock settings and out we went again
P1040840.jpg

adjusting the mirrors which we had mounted in the sessions break. Seeing my self kneeling and the car still very much below me, give a good impression about the 37" height. The guy watching me from the right hand side of the car is Wolfram, he will maintain the car in the future.
P1040844.jpg

respect to whom it belongs
P1040861.jpg

P1040870.jpg

P1040873.jpg

P1040874.jpg

almost no roll at all ( both swaybars set at middle position)
P1040893.jpg

end of a successfull day
P1040908.jpg

left me and the owner very happy

TOM

Last edited:
Stunning. Tell us a bit more about the engine & drive train etc. A video with sound would be great although give me a heads up so I can get my drool cup out!

Its a Chevy LS3..376 ..480 hp as supplied from GM with a GM ECU and engine wiring harness...the trans is a 930 with the ring and pinion flipped, to maintain the lower output flanges and axle height.

There are twin radiators...one in the nose and the other above the transaxle...

The car is currently wet sump with an Accusump system...

Its all quite tightly packaged in the back as we do not use the side pontoons to hold fuel we mount the fuel tank back behind the firewall and out of harms way.

Completely different jeff.....tubular in the rear similar in style to the real 917.
The front section is an aluminum monocoque
The two cars are a completely different size too.....

Check out Toms stunning pics in the RCR forum....

Something so beautiful brings tears...my god we are so blessed to be able to have someone so talented to bring us these cars in an affordable fashion.

Something so beautiful brings tears...my god we are so blessed to be able to have someone so talented to bring us these cars in an affordable fashion.
The angel Gabriel has pronounced us blessed: how can I not say "Amen!" :)

It feels like 1970 all over again . . . . :)

Chuck

Supporter
The fact that everything went so well on the first day of driving is particularly impressive. You sort of bypassed the 'sorting' stage of the build.

The fact that everything went so well on the first day of driving is particularly impressive. You sort of bypassed the 'sorting' stage of the build.

Thanks Chuck

After all it is not RCR´s and mines first build and if you just check every system in itself upfront, the whole thing is going to work, because there are no conceptual mistakes in this designs.
So a basic suspension setup, a brake test, checking for having everything tigth and sealed, no rubbing and chuffing components and a work place which fits to the driver ( not vise versa). Thats about it.
The use of components which are proven in a lot of RCR Kits and no exotic components helped of course.
Sounds easy , it´s easy, just takes time and some systemathical approach.

TOM

Congrats to all involved. The car looks spectacular and it sounds like it runs beautifully as well.

The only (minor) item that I personally would change is the rear wheel width; while probably very functional and appropriate for this car, the wheels look somewhat narrow, especially compared with (some of) the originals (I understand the big hp difference, etc.):

rear%20of%20Porsche%20917.jpg

porsche917---21.jpg

P1040874.jpg

Last edited:
Back