RCR D type thread

Chuck

Supporter
The April issue of Sports and Exotics has a couple of nice Jaguar articles. The cover article is a review of the XKSS - the street version of the D Type.

Nice article about Norman Dewis and the remarkable goings on at Jaguar in the 50's and 60's.

For those contemplating a D Type . . . check it out.

Attachments

• Magazine1.JPG
    Magazine1.JPG
    377.6 KB · Views: 396
I'll have to pick up an issue. The D type is in my top 5 most beautiful cars ever made list. I'm anxiously waiting to see how Fran's car comes out. Then I need to see if I'll fit in it (6'5"... Almost a Sasquatch).

Are you going my "replicar"/authentic on suspension, the direction of Reynard's chassis on Realm XKSS/D or something cutting edge in your usual MO? I do think its a much more refreshing angle than the same old Cobra or Ferrari body. Nothing ugly about either, but one is "done" and the other hard to really replicate.

They built just a few Jaguar 6's in lesser forms. I'm sure I'll have plenty of left over parts from my XKE that'll need a home some day :)

Now if I can only decide between the LeMans and LMP1.....decisions

Aluminum TIG welded monocoque cockpit section....solid rear axle per original and independent front using XJ6

The body is available in RHD only...XKSS style flat rear, headrest or fin...long nose only.

I'd think you could shoe horn a AJ16 in there, even if not directly supported. And though I'm certainly not in immediate market for this as I'm going track car first: My vote would be for support of it as its one of the best engines Jag ever made.

An (AJ16S) Al 16valve supercharged 6 may not sound quite as nice, but it sure would be a nice ride and a nice weight/power trade off. It's certainly not a stretch and Jaguar would have done it then, if they could have made it work. Not like we're sticking BBC's in 917's here ;) Plus you could still find a take out in very useable condition cheaper than rebuilding my XKE's engine ran. Probably as cheap as getting my SU's remanufactored LOL.

The original XJ6 isn't all that long. It looks very long as the head and rocker covers are just so prominant, but very little length to ancillaries on the front. It is quite tall sitting next to my flat 6's in the garage. They both are very heavy in respect to an Aluminum LSx engine. But it was the first truly mass market dual over head cam.....too bad Jag couldn't justify the same for the V12.....could have rivaled those pesky F cars a little longer at LeMans.

I was using the pronoun "YOU" as in the end user or Mark in particular, Not RCR/Fran ;)

Having rebuilt a '63 e-type drophead down to the last nut and bolt, I can say that the Jag straight six is a lovely engine. It's no lightweight with the cast block, and quite tall as pointed out above. Somehow the company squeezed them in there back in the day though, and she was a very potent car with the side draft webers - somewhere around 350hp I think. I can't recall if it was a 3.4 or 3.8 or what in there, but a 3.8/4.2 with webers would have plenty of poke and sound amazing. Durability was a D-type strong suit as well, hence the very solid performance at the longer races.

Can't wait to see Fran's gang getting a few of these on the road (and track) - what a treat.

Back