Rcr Gt40 Engine

JohnC

Missing a few cylinders
Lifetime Supporter
Howard's right on the money, IMO. I did a non-GT40 project a few years ago with a newly built motor, standalone EMS, larger EFI system, special ignition, etc.

All these new, untested systems came together at the same time, and to make a long story short, by the time everything was sorted out, the motor was ruined, and had to be rebuilt again due to glazed rings that had not seated, and rod bearings that were trashed due to silent detonation from all the oil burning.

Mine was not a unique case; I've known other owners who have had similar experiences. It's really heartbreaking to see a $10K motor sitting there in your car, smoking like a mosquito fogger, knowing it's got to come out and another $2K to $5K has to go in it.

One of my current projects is a newly built DOHC V8, and although it'll eventually have a supercharger, and full standalone EMS, we're going to break it in on an engine dyno as a NA motor with the simplest of ignitions, and a carburetor, then add the rest of the toys a step at a time.

Never again would I bring a number of untested, uncalibrated systems together on an expensive new motor, and try to sort them out simultaneously.

Back