Dwight

RCR GT 40 Gulf Livery 347 Eight Stack injection
Re: RCR GT40 For Sale

Jan_12_2011_delivery_of_GT_40_5_.jpg

Dwight

Fran, Thanks

Coach has an office where I could put a bed. I think I could roll the GT under the bed.
Six of my Cobra buddies were on hand to help. We think the GT is shorter than our Cobras.:blank:
If this snow will melt, we'll park a Cobra beside it and see.

I found a box with a new set of gauges in the passenger footbox?????
From you?

Thanks Fran
Thanks Allan

You helped a dream come true

Dwight

Last edited:

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter

I'm drooling here....

That is a beautiful GT40.... You're going to build a lot of really cool memories in that one...

If you read through the thread you will see the car sold back in January and the new owner is talking about it now in his garage...

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter

Way Cool, Dwight! I've often wondered why folks building 40's did not use the exhaust setup your "new-to-you" 40 has....use cats instead of mufflers, or, perhaps more accurately, AS mufflers. I like this setup very much:

Jan_12_2011_delivery_of_GT_40_5_.jpg

Cheers from Doug!!

Dwight

Sorry Doug but I replaced the cats with the stainless mufflers.

Dwight

1_July_4_2011__3_.jpg

I replaced the plug wires also, old one had holes burn in them.

1_IMG_1597resized.jpg

Last edited:

Dwight

Oh I forgot, I have a pair of cats and tips for sale, half price.

Dwight

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter

Oh I forgot, I have a pair of cats and tips for sale, half price.

Dwight

Sure wish I had a 40, Dwight, I'd take you up on this!

Just curious...is your engine ECU controlled? Did you gain power with the mufflers compared to the cats?

Also....do you like the exhaust note better or worse with the mufflers? I'd guess better, else you would not have abandoned the cats.

Finally, how would you characterize the exhaust note with the cats?

Lots of Q's, I know....I have just not run across anyone who had the two setups and can compare/contrast them. The cats are just such a nice, compact setup.....but so far this is the first 40 I've seen to use JUST cats, IIRC there were a couple that used both.

Cheers! Doug

Dwight

Doug, I can not answer all your questions because the car did not run correctly when I took ownership.
High idle (1200 to 1900) popping out the TBs and exhaust.
I have spend the last 8 months re-working everything on the car.
I changed the cat because they were painted and the muffler that came with the car (in the front seat) are stainless and match the rest of the exhaust system. I did have to weld a bung for the O2 sensor and cut a little off both ends to get them to fit under the rear deck. I also replaced the burned up header gaskets, short header bolts, expanded the tubes to get a good fit so it would not leak, etc. What little the car ran with the cat and mufflers I could not tell a lot of different, if any. The only way we could get it to idle was to remove the vacuum hose that went to the ECU and play with the timing. Then it would idle but not rev up.
At that time we were thinking the problem was with the installation of the intake and ECU program.
I removed the intake and TB. It looked like there were several places that leaked. I took them to a friend who owns a machine shop and we checked the butterflies size, throttle body bore, etc. Everything checked good. Drilled and tapped a hole for the temp. sensor. The original hole was blocked by the distributor.
I think I had several vacuum leaks that would not let the ECU control the timing correctly. I had a long talk with Bob at Accumform. He is going to help solve all the problems with the system. I am ready to re-install the intake, TBs, etc tomorrow. Bob is going to mail me a disc with a basic tune so I can re-install the program into the ECU. Then I will take the car to a dyno shop and let them fine tune it for me.

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel and it's not a train.

When I get this system running I think it will get me the power I want and the looks that a GT 40 needs.

Doug, I know I could not answer all your question but after I get it running I could dyno test the mufflers and cats to see the different's. I can swap them out in 20 minutes at the dyno shop.
I have a nephew who could remove the insides of the cats and weld them into a stainless unit. Something to think about. Best of both worlds.

Dwight

Dwight,
Two things that you mentioned that set off some bells. First the idle. If you check and don't see any leaks then get a vacumguage that fits over the throttle bodies(looks sorta like a soda can top with a flow meter on top) and use it to set the vacumn for each cylinder. My EFI was the same way. Once done and the butterflys set it idles btween 7-900 rpms. The second thing to note is the poppinmg back through the throttle bodies and the exhaust. Check your distributor and seee if it isn't off by one notch. then retune the distributor. My system chewed up the oil pump gear which caused it to skip a tooth. wouldn't run worth a flip til discovered. The starter will sound like the battery is weak, or difficult to turn over. That backfiring will do some damage to the ring gear of the starter if it does it while starting. Ask me how I know????

Bill

Dwight

Bill I have a flow meter and we tried to set each TB. I think I have several problem and that is why I removed the system. Now I will install all the hardward and re-load the program into the ECU. Then we will go thru each step to tune it.
I have a good friend that is a Ford Master Mechanic who is looking over my shoulder as I work on this. He is a lot of help.

Go to go and start working on the GT.

Dwight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back